DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Are we gonna do a Death Pool, or just name the Last (Wo)Man Standing?

Deathpool I think no one goes this week.

I agree with Vile One, Dany's carrying Jon's baby, and Jon is The Prince That Was Promised.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Cant wait to see Cercei's boo boo face when she jobs to Dany. 

Just stroll back a couple seasons for when Cercei jobbed to the High Sparrow.  That was some serious sourpus.  She eventually got her heat back, though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Just stroll back a couple seasons for when Cercei jobbed to the High Sparrow.  That was some serious sourpus.  She eventually got her heat back, though.

I see what you did there. ?

• Like 1

I can deal with a tablesetting episode after a 2 year break, but Jon did not take that news well.

Also, while Arya thinks Sansa is the smartest person she knows, again, Jon's the only one that can't give a flying fuck about titles and just wants to beat the horde of Liches heading through the North like Sherman marching on Atlanta.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

By the way, nice new opening, with the fact that pretty much only Winterfell and King's Landing matter now.

Anyone else expecting Dario to be the "Captain" of the Golden Company?  I got a fiver that Dario and the Second Sons are somewhere in that fleet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nofuture said:

You can already see cracks in the foundation and the white walkers aren't even there yet.  Also looks like the Jaime payback line is already forming behind Bran.

I feel like Bran is going to really surprise Jaimie by not really giving a shit about the window.

• Like 5

To be honest, the window might've been the "best" thing to happen to Bran, since it started him down the path to becoming the Three-Eyed Raven.

Alright, who's got Odds on Bronn actually trying to kill Jamie and Tyrion?

Bronn is in it for the money, but he's not going to murder his two best friends especially when he doesn't think very highly of Cersei and knows she's full of shit. Bronn was there when the caravan was destroyed so he should know that Cersei can't back up what she's offering.

As for Bran, if he's never pushed out of the window, everyone is more fucked than they already are. So I'm expecting Bran and Brienne at the very least to defend Jaime. Jaime never wanted to be the kingslayer or the oathbreaker, but here had to make a choice: kill one man and save thousands or stand by his king and watch everyone die. I don't even Dany, as thickheaded as she is, would argue against that.

Solid episode to set the table. Loved all of the reunions. And the scene with Edd, Beric, Tormund with the boy impaled on the wall with all of the limbs is a top 3 creepy and scary scene in the history of the show.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And the scene with Edd, Beric, Tormund with the boy impaled on the wall with all of the limbs is a top 3 creepy and scary scene in the history of the show.

As soon as the boy's eyes went crystal blue I feared bad things for the three of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I can deal with a tablesetting episode after a 2 year break, but Jon did not take that news well.

It was payoff interaction after payoff interaction. You could have remixed which characters talked to each other and still had everything basically work. That's the strength of a show this dense.

• Like 2

The very obvious job of mirroring the first episode with this worked a lot better than I would've expected if you had told me that was what they would do. From a small kid climbing to get a better view of the arrival of royalty all the way to the final scene, it was a beautifully done echo.

• Like 4

On 3/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Years ago, Martin said something to the effect of he never has the end planned out for his books, and that he loses interest in a story whenever he knows the end before he gets there.

Fast forward to him telling them how this ends, and he's suddenly went from "slow" to "nothing"

Interesting. I can't write anything unless I know where it's going to wind up, however, by that same token I've found that the absolute worst thing that I can do is to write the  ending to something before actually getting there. I'm a freak for outlining stuff, but there's a vast difference between outlining an ending and writing the whole thing out . If I do that, I've completely lost interest in the story, because I know exactly how it's going to end. A subtle difference, but a very important one. The idea of "surprising myself" by how a story ends is (to me) just completely absurd and a sure sign that I've lost control of the material somewhere early on in the process.

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Also, the Game of Thrones equivalent of a dog watching its owners bone, except with dragons. 

That was hilarious and creepy. Who knew dragons were voyeurs?

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I think Fowler's actually misremembering. The analogy I remember GRRM making was saying if you were driving from Chicago to Los Angeles, you might now which road your were taking for the first few days, and you might know what address you would be arriving at at the end, but you wouldn't know which roads, hotels and eateries you'd be using for most of the journey, until you got there.

Besides which, it's not liked he stopped writing altogether, he got sidetracked. Sidetracked mostly by writing The World of the Seven Kingdoms, and volume one of the history of Westeros. Both projects where he knows exactly where they end up.

Loved it.  I actually hope they stay at this pace next week as well.  Episode 3 clearly, based on the runtime, is the battle in the North.  

Dont get the idea of this as a table setting episode.  It’s literally all character payoffs that they could have spread out over a whole season under normal conditions. The moment with Ayra seeing all of her past fellow travelers strolling by really hammered that home.  

Loved the Sansa scenes with Tyrion and Dany. Arya calling her the smartest person she knows seems a bit unearned, though.  I guess Arya hasn’t spent much time with the smart folks except for the few episodes pouring Tywin’s wine.

Again I very much did not get a table setting vibe at all.  Those two Jon scenes (Dragon riding and parentage reveal) are season finale type moments. 

They seem to have somewhat corrected the pacing issues from last season.  Obviously everything is still rushed, but it flowed this time around.

Edited by Jrag

11 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Needed more elephants.

I did enjoy that he didn't have the balls to tell Cersei that the elephants got burned up by the discount dragon.  

I'm putting a fiver on a longshot bid of the new Lord of House Tarly ending up on the Iron Throne after being the one to take out Dany.  

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

I did enjoy that he didn't have the balls to tell Cersei that the elephants got burned up by the discount dragon.  

I'm putting a fiver on a longshot bid of the new Lord of House Tarly ending up on the Iron Throne after being the one to take out Dany.  

That's have to be right after she released Sam from his Night's Watch vow.

To Jrag: I went with Table setting because it seemed the most important pieces of the episode was putting characters in the right spots for the final act, as well as setting up the Chekov's Conflicts that'll come back after everyone forgets about them (like Sam finding out Dany executed his Dad and Brother.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That's have to be right after she released Sam from his Night's Watch vow.

Well in his mind Dany isn't really the queen - Jon is. 

Tablesetting episodes can have payoffs too. Especially this deep in a run. It was fun to see who was going to be where. In the past it was usually boring because often times they had to move characters lots of distance and over a quick time. But this was maybe the last one we're going to get and it was bringing together characters who hadn't seen eachother since the first couple of episodes.  

My favorite part may have been Old Spice and Flame Sword explaining to the audience how they will eventually get to Jon Snow before the Zombies despite being behind.

Was hoping Tyrion would go full lech on Sansa, and say "You've really....matured." 

I really really want everyone to lose their shit and just turn on each other. I hope everyone dies.

Especially Bran. The worst dude.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hey, what are we to make of the weapon design Arya was asking for. I couldn't make out what it was.

Looking at it, looks like a blowgun type of thing that shoots Dragonglass heads, there isn't really anything else that shoots in this world.  But I don't recall Ayra learning any types of those weapons, unless it's some kind of attachment to Needle or her Dagger.

Loved the bit of business with the Hound and Arya. It's almost like she's one of the few people he can respect for being as big a bitch/bastard as he is.

• Like 1