DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hell, it's worth remembering that The Prince Who Was Promised and Azhor Ahai are technically two different legends we've just all assumed are the same thing (they probably are but they certainly don't have to be).

Yeah, the prophesies are pretty intertwined in the show and GRRM may be taking a swipe at organized religion with the Red Church's dogma being built on what could be a mistranslation of an ancient legend.  I think that is why we're all hardwired to mesh the two together as well.

Personally, it would not surprise me if both legends were in play, but they will be fulfilled by different people as both Dany or Jon both pass the smell test for the Prince Who Was Promised and arguably Tyrion or Jaimie could check the boxes for the Lightbringer / Azor Ahai deal.

Everyone's looking for a single messiah, when there probably needs to be a bunch of them to resist the Night King.  Even Aragorn needed a magic sword, a group of individual badasses, and a fucking army to withstand Mordor's invasion while a Hobbit did the real damage.

The religion that's clearly based on a misreading of an ancient legend is the Drowned God of the Iron Islands. 'What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger'; Clearly nothing to do with intentionally drowning people and resuscitating them as a right of passage, and everything to do with White Walkers. But still they believe.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, the prophesies are pretty intertwined in the show and GRRM may be taking a swipe at organized religion with the Red Church's dogma being built on what could be a mistranslation of an ancient legend.  I think that is why we're all hardwired to mesh the two together as well.

Personally, it would not surprise me if both legends were in play, but they will be fulfilled by different people as both Dany or Jon both pass the smell test for the Prince Who Was Promised and arguably Tyrion or Jaimie could check the boxes for the Lightbringer / Azor Ahai deal.

Everyone's looking for a single messiah, when there probably needs to be a bunch of them to resist the Night King.  Even Aragorn needed a magic sword, a group of individual badasses, and a fucking army to withstand Mordor's invasion while a Hobbit did the real damage.

Maybe the real savior is the incest baby Jon Snow and Dany created when they had sex.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:58 AM, Craig H said:

The first time I typed that out, I typed out Ice King instead of Night King, and I just wound up giggling to myself with Jon Snow facing off against the Ice King from Adventure Time.

Putting the Ice King into a grimdark universe would be scary AF! We're talking about an insane immortal who is the avatar of the elemental plane of ice.

34 minutes ago, turk128 said:

Putting the Ice King into a grimdark universe would be scary AF! We're talking about an insane immortal who is the avatar of the elemental plane of ice.

Well...That's not quite the same after the TV series finale.

(Can't comment on the comic book yet because it has yet to be shipped to me even though it came out 2 or 3 weeks ago.)

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, AxB said:

The religion that's clearly based on a misreading of an ancient legend is the Drowned God of the Iron Islands. 'What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger'; Clearly nothing to do with intentionally drowning people and resuscitating them as a right of passage, and everything to do with White Walkers. But still they believe.

Just about every organized religion on Westeros is either based on faulty dogma, is completely tyrannical, or it is a little of both.

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Just about every organized religion is either based on faulty dogma, is completely tyrannical, or it is a little of both.

FIFY 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just want The Hound vs. The Mountain in a 10-15 minute fight scene to end all fight scenes. The Hound cut the best wrestling promo in years during The Dragonpit scene. "You know who's coming for you. You've always known."

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beginning a rewatch to get myself caught up for next year. To enhance the experience, I'll be naming a Most Vile Person (MVP) award after ever episode.

Season 1, Episode 1: Winter is Coming

Difficult not to go all-in on Jamie from jump street. Pushing Bran from the tower is one of the most consequential bits of bad behaviour in the entire series. Joffery has an uncharacteristically low-key debut but still manages to look like an entitled sleaze at the Winterfell feast, earning himself points for economical shittiness. The Walkers killing people beyond the Wall is poor form, but I'm not holding the demonic undead to the same standard as humans. Our clear winner for episode one is Viserys, who comes out swinging by selling his sister to a tribe of horselords in exchange for an army that's going nowhere fast. That kind of move will earn you an MVP award in most episodes. I hope...

MVP: Viserys Targaryen, who I expect will earn quite a few of these in early season one. 

Overall Leaderboard:

1. Viserys Targaryen (1)

Season Standings:

1. Viserys Targaryen (1) 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2018 at 4:18 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm beginning a rewatch to get myself caught up for next year. To enhance the experience, I'll be naming a Most Vile Person (MVP) award after ever episode.

Season 1, Episode 1: Winter is Coming

Difficult not to go all-in on Jamie from jump street. Pushing Bran from the tower is one of the most consequential bits of bad behaviour in the entire series. Joffery has an uncharacteristically low-key debut but still manages to look like an entitled sleaze at the Winterfell feast, earning himself points for economical shittiness. The Walkers killing people beyond the Wall is poor form, but I'm not holding the demonic undead to the same standard as humans. Our clear winner for episode one is Viserys, who comes out swinging by selling his sister to a tribe of horselords in exchange for an army that's going nowhere fast. That kind of move will earn you an MVP award in most episodes. I hope...

MVP: Viserys Targaryen, who I expect will earn quite a few of these in early season one. 

Overall Leaderboard:

1. Viserys Targaryen (1)

Season Standings:

1. Viserys Targaryen (1) 

Yeah, Viserys is gonna win most episodes of Season 1, then it's pretty much going to be Joffery.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:25 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

Other way around, actually ?

"Auntie fucker" just doesn't have the same ring, though you are accurate. 

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, Viserys is gonna win most episodes of Season 1, then it's pretty much going to be Joffery.

So... Pimping your sister and being a whiney douche > than screwing your sister and throwing a kid off a tower? 

Let's see, any other contenders? 

Jamie Lannister - Already discussed, has the bad habit of balancing nasty stuff with heroic stuff. If he drank like his brother we'd call him Stone Cold...

King Robert - Drinking, whoring, wife-beating, and sending assassins after a little girl, who as far as he knows is completely harmless. Cuntish and un-Kingly, but definitely a piker compared to the two blonde lads. 

Lord Petyr Baelish - I mean just look at the guy... Look at him... Is that or is that not the most punchable face this side of Kid Rock? He doesn't even have to actually say or do anything and you know he's a cunt.

15 hours ago, OSJ said:

So... Pimping your sister and being a whiney douche > than screwing your sister and throwing a kid off a tower? 

Have I already generated some ethics-flavored controversy? How exciting!

Season 1, Episode 2: The Kingsroad

If you didn't agree with my pick of Viserys in episode one, the score will even out in episode two where the worst thing the dragon king does is whine about how slow the Dothraki army is moving. Who among us can say we haven't felt the same? 

Catelyn briefly tests my patience when she gives Jon an earful for have the audacity to have been born. But she's under a lot of pressure nursing Bran back to health, so I can't be too mad.

Those are but minor quibbles compared to what everyone gets up to on the Kingsroad. Joffrey draws down on the butcher's boy, revealing himself to be the little shit that he is. Then he twists the story to his parents resulting in the death of the butcher's boy at the hands of the Hound. Sansa turns on her own and speaks against Arya and the butcher's boy in front of the the members of the travelling party assembled at the inn. And to thank Sansa for her contribution, Cersei twists the knife and the demands a direwolf die to answer for Joffrey's injuries. With Nymeria in the wind, poor Lady gets Ned's sword. 

There's a lot to parse through there. Joffery wins a lot of bad person points for the inciting event and the subsequent self-serving story he tells of it. While Cersei's cruelty and need for disproportionate retribution did a lot to grind my gears, I don't think it tops the senseless of Joffrey. Welcome to the Most Vile Person rankings, Joff! 

MVP: Joffrey Baratheon

Season 1, Episode 3: Lord Snow

I don't want to get too political, but Robert wracking up needless crown debt to put on a pointless tournament gets some bad points. Once upon a time he was a fierce warrior who had a grudge to settle. But the care (or lack-thereof) he gives to governance leaves much to be desired. But he held together a fragile piece for a minute there, so maybe he's not all bad. Just mostly. 

Slim pickings in general for episode three. The battle of the sleazy climbers has begun as we're introduced to Littlefinger and Varys, but neither gets up to anything too mustache-twirlingly evil. Yet.

Across the narrow sea, a paranoid Viserys attacks his newly-pregnant sister. In an episode that's comparatively light on naughty behaviour, he runs away with this one.

MVP: Viserys Targaryen 

Season 1, Episode 4: Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things

Jon Arryn's freshly-knighted former squire meets his end in a jousting match with the Mountain which smells like a sanctioned hit, but we don't yet have anyone to blame yet. Lannisters pull his strings and there are a couple of those with something to hide, but I can't lay blame at anyone's feet just yet. This one gets put on the back burner for later. Still, murder is bad.

At the Wall, new arrival Samwell Tarly eats heaps of what seems like pretty standard hazing and drill-sergeanting before Jon steps in to protect him. Some definite vileness here, but I'm not seeing an MVP contender.

Catelyn taking Tyrion hostage is only going to escalate the growing conflict between the Starks and Lannisters, but her cause seems just at the moment. 

Looks like it's Viserys again as he strikes his pregnant sister. Blessedly, Dany fights back and the look of fear on Viserys' face makes him appear every bit the little punk he is. 

MVP: Viserys Targaryen

Season 1, Episode 5: The Wolf and the Lion

FUCK YES. After a couple lean episodes on the bad behaviour front, The Wolf and the Lion is an hour that rolls deep. 

Any episode that reminds me what kind of mother Lysa Arryn is has an automatic MVP contender. One of my most-hated characters in the entire series. Get poor Robin out of that castle before its too late! And not through the skydoor either! 

In King's Landing, we learn (to little surprise) that the Mountain doesn't look losing jousting matches. He expresses his displeasure by decapitating a horse with a single swing of his massive sword. He'd have taken Loras as well if the Hound didn't jump in. Mini-Cleganebowl! This was good stuff and decapitating horses is bad.

Oh, hi Varys. Should you really be plotting against the king while you're still in the castle? You ought to know better than anyone that someone's always listening.

When news of a pregnant dragon reaches the King, Robert makes plans to send Dany a babyshower gift. Unfortunately, the gift is murder. Not cool, dude. As far as you know, Dany specifically might not have any plan to usurp you. 

What the hell, Loras! Stop putting stupid ambitions in Renly's empty, entitled head! You're playing with people's lives here!

But the clear winner this week is Jamie. The Kingslayer makes Catelyn's escalation last week look minor league when his gang kills Ned's guards and leaves the head of House Stark with a leg full of spear. This is getting ugly fast.

No Viserys in this episode.

MVP: Jamie Lannister

Overall Standings:

1. Viserys Targaryen (3)
  2. Joffery Baratheon (1)
  3. Jamie Lannister (1)

Season Standings:

1. Viserys Targaryen (3)
  2. Joffery Baratheon (1)
  3. Jamie Lannister (1)

Man, I forgot how fast and loose the passage of time was between episodes.  Between Episode 1 and 2, Summer grows from a pup to big enough to rip someone's throat out.  And the only thing that marks the time is a throwaway line from Cat.

Firstly, it's Baratheon not Barantheon. Secondly, in Westeros bastards have regional surnames, like Jon Snow and Ellaria Sand. Joffrey would be a Storm or a Hill.

Hill, they were born of a mother from the Westerlands.  Or Waters, since Cersei was living in the Crownlands when the kids were concieved and born.  Storm is only if the mother is from the Stormlands.

But since we're going by acknowledged legal status, its Baratheon.

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Man, I forgot how fast and loose the passage of time was between episodes.  Between Episode 1 and 2, Summer grows from a pup to big enough to rip someone's throat out.  And the only thing that marks the time is a throwaway line from Cat.

I remember feeling this was something which became even more noticeable as the seasons roll on. Part of that I'm sure is the relative aimlessness of characters like Arya or Dany for seasons at the time. Then suddenly people are getting places very quickly. 

And I'm right there with you in addressing people by their legal name. I ain't getting into those weeds. 

The biggest thing I'm finding going back to a rewatch and having knowledge of where the story ends up, I remember we all thought that the starting point of the snowball that threw Westeros into chaos was Ned agreeing to go to King's Landing or Jamie and Cersei deciding that poisoning Jon Arryn was a good idea, but no, the entire story sets in motion the second Rhygar lays eyes on Lysanna.  Everything else rolls off of that point.  The machnications of the story we read/watched were set in motion 17 years before the story takes place.  That's pretty neat.

• Like 1