DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

When Jaime still stuck with Cersei after she caused the deaths of several show VIPs in Mad King fashion, including their uncle, and inadvertently brought about the suicide of their last remaining child, I didn't think even zombies would be enough to convince him to leave her. I'm glad he finally did. I hope when he meets up with Tyrion he tells him she was fucking Lancel to kill any lingering doubt he may have about his decision.

We should just assume Bronn left with Jaime even though we didn't see him in that snow scene, right? We're certainly not going to see him sharing scenes with Cersei next season.

What struck me after the fact is that Jon's remarkably stupid honesty nearly derailed everyone's plans.  The whole "we need to unite to stop the dead" plan was obviously compromised, but clearly Cersei had planned to say yes to whatever they offered as she had the pre-existing plan/double cross with Euron in place.  She asked Jon not to get involved, hoping that he'd honestly do so but assuming that even if he wouldn't he'd say he would regardless.  When he was remarkably honest, even though it ruined the whole plan she set up, she had no choice but to walk away as nothing else would be believable.  Only when Tyrion decided to meet her did she get an opening to put things back on track. 

If Snow ends up on the throne the realm is screwed.

9 hours ago, username said:

What struck me after the fact is that Jon's remarkably stupid honesty nearly derailed everyone's plans.  The whole "we need to unite to stop the dead" plan was obviously compromised, but clearly Cersei had planned to say yes to whatever they offered as she had the pre-existing plan/double cross with Euron in place.  She asked Jon not to get involved, hoping that he'd honestly do so but assuming that even if he wouldn't he'd say he would regardless.  When he was remarkably honest, even though it ruined the whole plan she set up, she had no choice but to walk away as nothing else would be believable.  Only when Tyrion decided to meet her did she get an opening to put things back on track. 

If Snow ends up on the throne the realm is screwed.

At this point, I'm fully convinced that Jon goes down in a blaze of glory taking the Night King with him, saving the entire realm.  Dany ends up on the Throne knocked up with Jon's kid, and that's where we end.

See, I have been critical of many of the plans people came up with this season for being rather dumb but I don't think Cersei's was quite as bad as described above.  Obviously she knew that the others were going to show her something that they thought would be rather persuasive, so all she had to do was have Euron and herself act naturally beforehand and then act shaken after whatever was revealed to them.  It buys her time to get mercenaries to her shores and likely a chance to stab the others in the back, which is likely her only chance at defeating them.  She'll deal with the dead afterwards, but this is true to her character as she's always a bit shortsighted.  It's not the greatest plan in the world, but it is in character and isn't overly convoluted.

The only real flaw was asking Jon to swear to not get involved, and even then it is low risk as there is little chance any sane man in his position would say no regardless of what he was actually planning to do.  Unfortunately he is... well Jon and he inadvertently screwed it all up.  It took Tyrion doing something rather dumb and Cersei deciding on short notice that it'd be better to use his stupidity to get her plan back on track rather than kill him on the spot (which is progress for Cersei as she actually took the longer view for once) to bail her out.

Now if you ask why anyone would trust her in the first place or think that she has much help to offer (most of her army was either burnt alive or is likely shellshocked as hell), well then I have no good answers.

12 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

At this point, I'm fully convinced that Jon goes down in a blaze of glory taking the Night King with him, saving the entire realm.  Dany ends up on the Throne knocked up with Jon's kid, and that's where we end.

This is likely the best case scenario.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2017 at 4:37 AM, MarcosLoura said:

Cersei's "plan" never made sense. Max Landis did a good recap.

DIWnrk4UwAACJ_7.jpg:large

1. Fuck Max Landis

2. Maybe that wasn't her exact plan from moment to moment. Has the woman not proved to be a pretty master manipulator and strategist? She probably has backup plans for backup plans and has a way to always look for an angle to deceive and manipulate people. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

He also confirmed that he's now working on prequel books. Those books are in addition to the other book series he was starting.

So yeah, this motherfucker is definitely never finishing ASOIAF.

• 6 months later...

Meanwhile, the prequel series has announced it will star Naomi Watts. Although possibly in the sense that GoT starred Sean Bean. Apparently they're going super far back, and rather than doing the Dance of the Dragons or Aegon's Conquest, they're actually doing the First Men colonizing Westeros and fighting the Children of the Forest (and the Giants).

• 2 weeks later...

GoT has turned sending them home unhappy into an art form, but it has gotten soft with that over the past season or two.

As much as they might want to bring that back, we could stand to have a happy ending pulled out of this mess with five kingdoms co-existing in relative peace after the White Walker threat is dealt with.

You have to think that this will end extremely poorly for the incestuous duo of Jaime and Circe, though

Every time Jon Snow and the Night King face off all I think of is the Rock asking someone if they want to go ONE ON ONE WITH THE GREAT ONE.

The first time I typed that out, I typed out Ice King instead of Night King, and I just wound up giggling to myself with Jon Snow facing off against the Ice King from Adventure Time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

GoT has turned sending them home unhappy into an art form, but it has gotten soft with that over the past season or two.

As much as they might want to bring that back, we could stand to have a happy ending pulled out of this mess with five kingdoms co-existing in relative peace after the White Walker threat is dealt with.

You have to think that this will end extremely poorly for the incestuous duo of Jaime and Circe, though

It ends with Tyrion on the throne, I'm calling it now. All hail the Imp King!

• Like 3

More and more I'm starting to buy into the hypothesis that Jamie is the prince that was promised and not Jon Snow. I blame it on there just being more compelling and well edited YouTube videos for Jamie than there is for Jon.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

More and more I'm starting to buy into the hypothesis that Jamie is the prince that was promised and not Jon Snow. I blame it on there just being more compelling and well edited YouTube videos for Jamie than there is for Jon.

There is too much foreshadowing in the previous season for Jon not to fulfill the prophesy, but it could be anybody.

As Tyrion himself wisely put it, "Prophecy is like a half-trained mule. It looks as though it might be useful, but the moment you trust in it, it kicks you in the head."

Jon appears to fulfil the conceived under a bleeding star part as shown in the Tower of Joy scene where Ned approaches Lyanna and lays the ancestral sword of House Dayne, Dawn (the star), at the foot of her bed.

Born under a bleeding star = Born after the fall of House Dayne.

Figuring out the "born of sea and salt" part was a bit tricky, but IMO it refers to Jon's resurrection.  Our friendly sea smuggler, Davos, provides the salt while Melisandre's fire magic gives us the smoke we need.  So Jon does not truly become Azor Ahai until AFTER he dies and is brought back to life.

We also have the writers to thank for the not so subtle revelation of Jon's birth records (discovered by Pod) and the PwwP is supposed to be in the Targyrian bloodline.

Most of the Jaime = Azor Ahai stuff depends on the Lightbringer verses as proof but seriously, Tyrion also passes the sniff test.  Jaimie is not the only one to have slain a lion (i.e. killed a Lannister) and still have his sword break (i.e. failed to bring lasting peace to Westeros).  Tyrion also checked that box when he assassinated Tywin.

If being a Targyrian is important to the prophesy, then neither Jaime nor Tyrion fit that criteria but bear in mind that there is nothing in the prophesy that says that Azor Ahai will become king

The Prince's role is to save Westeros, not necessarily become the ruler.  That's why I think that Jon will die a hero's death while doing battle with the Night King and that either Dany or Tyrion will take the Iron Throne.

• Like 2

Hell, it's worth remembering that The Prince Who Was Promised and Azhor Ahai are technically two different legends we've just all assumed are the same thing (they probably are but they certainly don't have to be)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hell, it's worth remembering that The Prince Who Was Promised and Azhor Ahai are technically two different legends we've just all assumed are the same thing (they probably are but they certainly don't have to be).

Yeah, the prophesies are pretty intertwined in the show and GRRM may be taking a swipe at organized religion with the Red Church's dogma being built on what could be a mistranslation of an ancient legend.  I think that is why we're all hardwired to mesh the two together as well.

Personally, it would not surprise me if both legends were in play, but they will be fulfilled by different people as both Dany or Jon both pass the smell test for the Prince Who Was Promised and arguably Tyrion or Jaimie could check the boxes for the Lightbringer / Azor Ahai deal.

Everyone's looking for a single messiah, when there probably needs to be a bunch of them to resist the Night King.  Even Aragorn needed a magic sword, a group of individual badasses, and a fucking army to withstand Mordor's invasion while a Hobbit did the real damage.