DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dying in the midst of an unwinnable battle seems the preferable way to go out than getting roasted in front of all your men.

The Kings Landing forces could've shown some spine and followed their leaders' (foolishly) brave example and chose death over dishonor, but they bent the knee.

That scene was there to illustrate the glaring differences between the two sides when it comes to motivation, skill, and morale.

The armies defending the Iron Throne do not have the skill, discipline, or temperament to oppose the Unsullied or the Dothraki and certainly not when they are being supported by a fucking dragon.

And as Jamie was quick to point out, Danerys has two more dragons.

If the opposite result came about, I don't think that there would've been any Dothraki swearing allegiance to Cersei after being captured (they probably would've committed suicide rather than be caught), nor do I think that Cersei would've been inclined to allow any foreign prisoners to survive in the first place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pete said:

Tormund needs to survive just so we can have a bunch of hulking ginger kids running around at the end of the series.

In any other show, that little glance would've had a payoff down the line, but I am used to having this show destroy my soul.

I could see Tormund getting clapped and then Brienne would be forced wrestle with her feelings towards the big guy just in time to have to kill Zombie Tormund.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Did they actually explain why Ser Friendzone spent all that time returning to Daenyrs only to leave like 15 minutes later?

Because if he does the honorable thing and gives her what she needs even though it means leaving her alone with other younger hotter guys, then she'll finally notice that he's the one that really loves her.

It's the same reason I stayed home and wrote Lucy Platt's essay on the Cultural Revolution while she went to see the Slippery When Wet tour and totally got fingered by Chad Ried.

Also I hate life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Did they actually explain why Ser Friendzone spent all that time returning to Daenyrs only to leave like 15 minutes later?

Because this show is horrible at time lapse which is why Jon and company appear to have rowed all the way to Eastwatch in two hours..

To be fair, the White Walkers do have the Wall to contend with and their movements are also arguably limited by the changing seasons due to some background magical curse bullshit..  The colder it is, the stronger they are.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Slow zombies > fast zombies.

NPR interviewed Max Brooks on their Fresh Air program yesterday and he actually went into the pseudo science of why there is no such thing as a fast zombie. 

I wonder how long the season has gone by in real time? I remember during the first episode when Robert was going to see Ned to ask him to be his Hand, they mentioned how it took a month to get to Winterfell from King's Landing

10 minutes ago, RonL21 said:

I wonder how long the season has gone by in real time? I remember during the first episode when Robert was going to see Ned to ask him to be his Hand, they mentioned how it took a month to get to Winterfell from King's Landing

I'm shocked someone hasn't spent the time to figured that all out

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's far more enjoyable to just suspend disbelief on these things? 

It would be different if all of the meanwhile stuff didn't appear to have happened in immediate sequence.  Time dilation is out of control.

I understand that we don't need to see Jon choosing what he wants for breakfast, Tormund picking his nose, or Sansa putting on her shoes, but it'd be nice to get a true sense of time passage.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

It would be different if all of the meanwhile stuff didn't appear to have happened in immediate sequence.  Time dilation is out of control.

I understand that we don't need to see Jon choosing what he wants for breakfast, Tormund picking his nose, or Sansa putting on her shoes, but it'd be nice to get a true sense of time passage.

I get some of the pacing issues, especially the more character driven ones. Maybe we could have spent a bit more time with Dany and Jorah. Maybe Jorah and Jon could have talked about Sam. Maybe we could have seen a bit of Bronn and Tyrion (it's a trade off). Maybe it mattered to see how Cersei got her information. Maybe it'd be nice to see Sam hearing about his dad dying. That stuff I get. Some of it is not necessarily story-driven but about our engagement. Others, maybe a little more story driven. Some of it, I think is unnecessary because we understand how the world works by now. We've seen so many bits of people getting information that we can take for granted that Cersei has ways to learn about what's happening in King's Landing. Likewise, some of it feels irksome just because of how much time they spent basically showing us nothing earlier on. 

In general, past a few things I wish could breathe just a little more, we have so much accumulated knowledge and they have so little time to work from here on in that they're giving us what feels like a "good parts only" version and letting us fill the gaps in other ways. I over think this stuff as much as anyone and I don't think there's been a single moment this season where I felt confused about what was going on or when it was going on, relatively, because of information they failed to give me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I get some of the pacing issues, especially the more character driven ones. Maybe we could have spent a bit more time with Dany and Jorah. Maybe Jorah and Jon could have talked about Sam. Maybe we could have seen a bit of Bronn and Tyrion (it's a trade off). Maybe it mattered to see how Cersei got her information. Maybe it'd be nice to see Sam hearing about his dad dying. That stuff I get. Some of it is not necessarily story-driven but about our engagement. Others, maybe a little more story driven. Some of it, I think is unnecessary because we understand how the world works by now. We've seen so many bits of people getting information that we can take for granted that Cersei has ways to learn about what's happening in King's Landing. Likewise, some of it feels irksome just because of how much time they spent basically showing us nothing earlier on. 

In general, past a few things I wish could breathe just a little more, we have so much accumulated knowledge and they have so little time to work from here on in that they're giving us what feels like a "good parts only" version and letting us fill the gaps in other ways. I over think this stuff as much as anyone and I don't think there's been a single moment this season where I felt confused about what was going on or when it was going on, relatively, because of information they failed to give me.

I think Sam will learn of his dads passing when he stops back at his family home on his way to winterfell or the wall

1 minute ago, muhammedboehm said:

I think Sam will learn of his dads passing when he stops back at his family home on his way to winterfell or the wall

Except stopping at home would probably mean his death if he doesn't know his dad is dead.  He stole his family's ancestral sword, which his dad clearly values more than his life.  Why would he ever go back there?

The only time this season where the show made an attempt to show some sort of temporal sequence and explore the tedium of day-to-day life was Sam's time as Maester latrine cleaner.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

To be fair, the White Walkers do have the Wall to contend with and their movements are also arguably limited by the changing seasons due to some background magical curse bullshit..  The colder it is, the stronger they are.

They're also not in any hurry.  They're moving a lot slower because they don't have to move fast.  What are they gonna do, run out of food?

They've also shown no interest in preserving the element of surprise (they leave survivors to run away and warn, and they leave the body sculptures).

They've been waiting 8000 years, what's a couple more months?

Just taking time, combing the land beyond the wall, making sure everything that can be reanimated is reanimated.

• Like 5

That's true but the Night King does have some sense of immediacy and concealing his true strength is important to him.  If he weren't concerned about any of that, he wouldn't have chased off the ravens. 

If the doom of the South is certain, why give a fuck about a flock of black birds spying on you? 

Why not torment the Three Eyed Raven by showing him exactly what's in store through his visions and maybe drive Bran batshit insane in the process? 

The more unhinged the seer is, the less likely people are to believe the message until it is too late.  That's what I would do if I were the Night King..

• Like 1

There's also the fun idea making the rounds (possibly even here) that the WWs are somewhat stuntin' because they're overconfident, and/or they're not actually particularly good/smart fighters because they're so used to being basically immortal they've never been pressured to improve their technique.

They toy with Waymar Royce in the cold open, they don't even bother with Sam at the end of Season 2, the one Jon kills toys with Jon inside the hut and is totally surprised later when it realizes Jon has Valyrian Steel, can parry, and oh shit I'm in a real fight now *SMASH*

EDIT:  Although The Night's King himself, in contrast with the above, seems to take everything more seriously, like J.T. said.  Guess that's why he's the one in charge :)

• Like 2