DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

1 minute ago, Throat said:

The other option was going up in flames with his reputation intact. Not much of a choice.

Depends on the person. A bunch of the other knights would've gone up in flames. You can't look at it through our eyes. You have to look at it through the eyes of a world where vows like that are taken super seriously. 

I asked one of my GOT heavy friends and his answers were Jamie and Stannis. When I said Varys, he said Varys is a baby face who fights for the people. I said, yes, but Verys is a baby face who fights just as dirty as the heels to make sure he wins. 

He also dropped this theory on me:

Spoiler

Bran is the Night King. And Bran the Builder. Due to time Wimey, Billy Pilgrim, Dr. Manhattan stuff. 

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

What's Brann done that's so bad? Did you mean to type Bronn?

I meant Bronn, sorry about that. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I asked one of my GOT heavy friends and his answers were Jamie and Stannis. When I said Varys, he said Varys is a baby face who fights for the people. I said, yes, but Verys is a baby face who fights just as dirty as the heels to make sure he wins. 

He also dropped this theory on me:

Hide contents

Bran is the Night King. And Bran the Builder. Due to time Wimey, Billy Pilgrim, Dr. Manhattan stuff. 

Stannis? The guy that murdered his brother in cold blood and burned his daughter alive? Yeah, he was a real peach.  That said, yeah, he was the rightful King (unless you take Dany's claim as gospel), but he wasn't above doing some really horrific shit when it suited him. I'd move him to "one of the better bad people".

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Depends on the person. A bunch of the other knights would've gone up in flames. You can't look at it through our eyes. You have to look at it through the eyes of a world where vows like that are taken super seriously. 

The way he spun it in conversation with Cat in season one, his vows clashed. He couldn't obey the king, obey his father and protect the innocent, so he had to pick and choose. I would think if they provided knights a ranked list of vows in order importance, obeying the king would top everything, but then that would mean he'd have to forsake two other vows. Better to forsake just one, right? That's what he thought. Saved himself and his father along with a nice bonus of saving thousands of innocents. Was Jaime such an asshole before this or did he double down on that after his reputation was shot and he got no credit for sparing the city from a fiery death?

I think we saw some of Jaimie's justification this week when he seemed to genuinely believe what he told Olenna, that if people would just stop interfering with Cersei she would eventually bring long term order the the realm. Obviously he's wrong, but he believes that. He believes that the things he is doing right now at least are going to hurt a lot of people, but once that's done there will be prosperity.  Or maybe he has convinced himself that out of his blind devotion to her.

He also seems to be the type of military man who believes that a quick brutal merciless sneak attack that destroys an enemy is better than a long drawn out "honorable" war.  He is the type that would order the murder of a city full of civilians because it he thought it would kill fewer in the long run than a proper military engagement. One the other hand you one can argue that this is because he also believes himself to be one of the special people whose prosperity all that death is meant to insure.

He's a pretty great character, really.  Very ambiguous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, piranesi said:

He also seems to be the type of military man who believes that a quick brutal merciless sneak attack that destroys an enemy is better than a long drawn out "honorable" war. 

That's so Tywin.

In discussing Jaime, you have to take into account him dumping his soul to Brienne. 

This isn't a man who is a true monster, or a man looking to save himself, or even truly save his father. He's someone looking out for the people. He's someone who grew more, and more, and more uncomfortable with a truly mad king. He begged the mad king to surrender and the mad king only wanted everything to burn. Jaime had to keep his oath and follow through on the king's orders...

or break his oath and save everyone. He chose the latter.

That doesn't excuse him for letting a dishonorable action get into his head and make feel like shit and justify other bad actions because people thought he was shit anyway. It doesn't excuse him from sticking his head up his own ass and forgetting who he is.

But I don't think it makes him out to be the horrible person some would think he is.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

If only you could have seen those same qualities in Tony La Russa.

Tony La Russa = Tywin Lannister (though he hasn't been shot with an arrow while on the commode, yet...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

If only you could have seen those same qualities in Tony La Russa.

Jamie hasnt been caught drunk on his horse, has he? Or turned a blind eye while the kings guard took any of qyburns swordfighting-enhancing potions?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

That doesn't excuse him for letting a dishonorable action get into his head and make feel like shit and justify other bad actions because people thought he was shit anyway. It doesn't excuse him from sticking his head up his own ass and forgetting who he is.

That's just what I was asking about earlier. Is there any evidence he wasn't so awful pre-Kingslayer? Maybe in the books? Otherwise we're just going by what he told Brienne. I'd spin any of my past indiscretions in a positive light while discussing them in a bath with a girl I liked.

22 hours ago, Jrag said:

Jaime saved two of the best good people (Breinne and Tyrion) and the entire population of King's Landing. That goes a long way I would say.

Bah.  Tyrion is the only friend that Jaime ever had in life in addition to being his brother and Brienne earned Jaime's warrior respect.

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

In discussing Jaime, you have to take into account him dumping his soul to Brienne. 

Honestly, that scene is more a testament to Brenne's character that a man like Jaime would respect her enough to confide in her.

Jaime losing his fighting hand and being forced to depend on a stranger for survival had a lot to do with his state of mind in that scene..

Even moreso when the stranger in question is not only a woman, but one of the finest and most honorable warriors on the continent.  Jaime had to call his chauvinism into question as well as his overall douchebaggery.

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

One of the major themes of the series has been the maturation of Jaime Lannister.

As well as the humbling of Jaime Lannister.  Arguably he'd be the same dirtbag that pushed Bran out of tower window if he had not lost his hand.

If there is an upside to Jaime Lannister is that he acts decisively and even the things he does out of selfish motives tend to benefit the greater good. 

14 hours ago, OSJ said:

I meant Bronn, sorry about that. 

What bad things has Bronn actually done on the show? Only thing I can think of is not wanting to be Tyrion's champion against The Mountain but that's sort of understandable.

Beware of spoilers! (none in this post or article though)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/game-of-thrones-s7-e4-leaked-script/

The next episode of Game of Thrones, S7E4 "Spoils of War," has leaked online in script, summary, and video storyboard form after HBO suffered a large hack earlier in the week.

HBO has been working hard to clean up the leaked files via a flurry of DMCA takedown notices—but conversely, one DMCA notice sent to Google, and apparently seen by Variety, reveals that "thousands" of internal company documents were obtained and leaked by the hackers, including personally identifiable data and passwords from at least one senior HBO exec.

Despite the takedowns, a short script, summary, and homemade video storyboard for next week's Game of Thrones episode, "Spoils of War," turns up easily through a little Googling. The short script (which is more of an outline) is dated April 2016, and so some details may have changed. (Note: These materials definitely contain potential spoilers, though, so consider yourself warned if you really can't wait until Sunday/Monday to watch the full episode.)

"I have to die in this strange country. Just like you."

That's some crazy shit to say someone when you leave, so of course I'm using it all the time.

"Hey, I'm going to work."

"What time do you think you'll be back?"

"Oh don't worry. I'll be back. I have to die in this house. Just like you."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Arguably he'd be the same dirtbag that pushed Bran out of tower window if he had not lost his hand.

I would argue that that's the case. Maybe if he loses the other hand, he'll do a full face turn.

Yeah.  I remember feeling quite awkward when the conversation between Sansa and Bran went south.

I understand that the point is to illustrate how Bran loses touch with people as he gains super awareness of reality, but why of all things mention that to your sister to show off your precognitive powers?

How about talking about the White Walkers and encouraging Sansa not to be an undercutting asshole when Jon is trying to fucking save the continent and is the only ruler actually acting like a responsible authority figure?

• Like 4