DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

They are moving a lot faster now which is tough in some spots because it's a lot to take in but I think with about 12 episodes left in the entire show they have plenty of time to wrap this up nicely. Winter is here. The Whitewalkers are coming.  Dany has arrived.  All of the characters are interacting now.  

I think the next 6 episodes probably deal with the great war that's about to pop off.    Then the last 6 is for the love of God,  save the planet.  

5 hours ago, piranesi said:

And the cure to greyscale is...to cut off all the greyscale.

Nah, that was just the first step. Some (possibly dangerous?) solution needs to be applied to the skin under it. And it didn't sound like there is any guarantee it will work. 

Plus Sam is now at risk...

I marked hard when Euron killed 2 Bad Pussies. It still bothers me that somehow a bastard like Elaria Sand is apparently in charge of Dorne and old lady Oleanna (who is only a Tyrel by marriage) rules The Reach, in this strict patriarchal society, but yeah I get that they didn't have time for all the plotting and in-house fighting in these two regions.

57 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

I marked hard when Euron killed 2 Bad Pussies. It still bothers me that somehow a bastard like Elaria Sand is apparently in charge of Dorne and old lady Oleanna (who is only a Tyrel by marriage) rules The Reach, in this strict patriarchal society, but yeah I get that they didn't have time for all the plotting and in-house fighting in these two regions.

I can buy Oleanna still being charge. They've established that she makes it a point to be good to the small folk so she likely has a shit ton of support on that front. Plus she's been playing the game for a really long time so she's probably got allies in the right places. Ellaria Sand is a different story though. She was Oberyn's paramour but never had any power. She murdered the rightful Prince in cold blood. We're to just assume that everyone was cool with that?

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

We're to just assume that everyone was cool with that?

Ignoring the obvious that her only tie to the throne was that she was banging a Martell. 

1. Who is left to oppose her claim?

2. Who is around to contradict the version of events she told to everyone concerning the nature of the Prince's death?

No one here believes that Ellaria Sand would cop to a blatant coup.  Obviously The Prince was assassinated by the Lannisters and by God there needs to be a war because Dorne deserves justice so poor Ellaria Sand reluctantly assumed the throne.  Heavy is the head ad nauseum.

It is really funny how the only person getting consistently good advice right now is Cersei.

Sansa inadvertently sows dissent out of concern for Jon's well being and protecting the Stark rice bowl and Oleanna Tyrell, Yara Greyjoy and Ellaria Sand are far more interested in revenge than the rule of law right now..

I'm used to seeing Tyrion as the cooler head that prevails, but Jaime Lannister building bridges with calls for loyalty and honor rather than a sword to the throat?  That's new.

Jaime is also smart enough to know that toying with the affections of Euron Greyjoy is a bad idea even if you really do need his help.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, Pete said:

I haven't seen someone choke as badly as Theon did since the 2007 Mets. (That joke was Cindy-approved. Begrudgingly.).

It was supposed to look like PTSD, but it really did appear like a choke job.

Up until that point, Theon was a fucking house of fire.  Then Yara has an ax to her throat, Crazy Euron starts talking shit, and Theon picks that particular moment for the Fog of War to take hold?

I marked heavily for the Greyjoy soldier armed with the cesti.  Dude just rolled in with spikes on his knuckles and started punching mother fuckers in the face.

The Hound's personal journey of atonement is awesome and sad.  He will get his personal shit together just in time to be wight bait.

Aww, Missandei and Grey Worm got together.  Finally a moment of intimacy in this series that wasn't tacky or otherwise offensive. 

Haven't really seen that since Dani and Drogo were the Westeros power couple and even that relationship pretty much started off as sexual assault.

When Brienne of Tarth and the Wildling dude finally hook up, please have that shit fade to fireplace as quickly as possible.

I thought the Greyscale removal cut was straight out of A Christmas Story when Ralphie finds out what the secret message was and his brother has to use the bathroom and then they jump cut to whatever his mother is cooking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

It still bothers me that somehow a bastard like Elaria Sand is apparently in charge of Dorne and old lady Oleanna (who is only a Tyrel by marriage) rules The Reach, in this strict patriarchal society, but yeah I get that they didn't have time for all the plotting and in-house fighting in these two regions.

That's what happens when you cut out half the characters from the books.  Oleanna would be in charge in reality, but she wouldn't actually be the lady of the house.  In the show, Mace Tyrell is the lord, followed by his sons Willas and Garland.  Loras gets named to the King's Guard, so he wouldn't be able to inherit any lands.  If all of them were to die, Mace also has two sisters, the second of which has three children who could inherit.  All of those people would be Lord or Lady of House Tyrell before Oleanna.

In Dorne, Elaria would never be in charge.  First off, her and Oberyn weren't even married.  Second, Doran had a daughter named Arianne, and two sons Quentyn and Tristane(who is dead in the show).  Oberyn has 7 daughters, who would be in line before her and there are Martell cousins, like Manfrey Martell who is the castellan of Sunspear (the Martell castle).  If somehow the entire house was wiped out, maybe they'd name her princess, but I imagine other noble houses like House Dayne would be more likely to be put in charge.

26 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That's what happens when you cut out half the characters from the books.  Oleanna would be in charge in reality, but she wouldn't actually be the lady of the house.  In the show, Mace Tyrell is the lord, followed by his sons Willas and Garland.  Loras gets named to the King's Guard, so he wouldn't be able to inherit any lands.  If all of them were to die, Mace also has two sisters, the second of which has three children who could inherit.  All of those people would be Lord or Lady of House Tyrell before Oleanna.

In Dorne, Elaria would never be in charge.  First off, her and Oberyn weren't even married.  Second, Doran had a daughter named Arianne, and two sons Quentyn and Tristane(who is dead in the show).  Oberyn has 7 daughters, who would be in line before her and there are Martell cousins, like Manfrey Martell who is the castellan of Sunspear (the Martell castle).  If somehow the entire house was wiped out, maybe they'd name her princess, but I imagine other noble houses like House Dayne would be more likely to be put in charge.

Wasn't it explained that Oleanna and Ellaria aren't in charge with titles but they are effectively the ones in charge because they control the men in charge from their respective countries?

I gathered from the novels that while Ellaria is well versed in matters of courtly intrigue, she really doesn't call the shots or even advises any shot callers. 

I guess there is argument that Ellaria is the de facto leader of the Sand Snakes since three of the seven members are her own daughters and you'd expect them to be loyal to their mother, but that's never been stated openly.

The books certainly don't support that as the Snakes are liable to punk anyone that gets in the way of their vendetta with the Lannisters, and that includes other family members.

Even Prince Doran is on his best behavior whenever they are around.

Olenna Tyrell, however, runs Highgarden affairs off the ledger and Mace is the public face of rulership.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

That's what happens when you cut out half the characters from the books.

If they did, crippled Willas Tyrell would be around and you'd never have gotten Oleanna and Ellaria together in the same room together like you did S7E2..

20 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Wasn't it explained that Oleanna and Ellaria aren't in charge with titles but they are effectively the ones in charge because they control the men in charge from their respective countries?

Oleanna, yes, but Ellaria has no influence over any man in Dorne as far as I can tell.  Ellaria's power comes from being the mother of one of the Sand Snakes, who are in charge in the absence of Arianne, Quentyn, and the death of Tristane.  If the Sand Snakes decided not to listen to a word she said, she really couldn't do anything about it.  Imagine if the king of some place dies, and instead of any of the many people in succession being put in charge, they put the girlfriend of the king's crazy brother in charge.  

1 hour ago, Roman said:

The all woman vengeance party motif in Dany's war council gave birth to the joke that Dany should conscript a new banner celebrating her alliance and it should be three harpies circling a dragon's head.

29 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The all woman vengeance party motif in Dany's war council gave birth to the joke that Dany should conscript a new banner celebrating her alliance and it should be three harpies circling a dragon's head.

Since, we're being vaguely sexist, let me retort with...I'd let those harpies circle my dragon's head.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Since, we're being vaguely sexist, let me retort with...I'd let those harpies circle my dragon's head.

Well I'm not trying to be sexist as much as I have issue with the notion that Olenna Tyrell, Ellaria Sand, and Yara Greyjoy aligning themselves with Dany is a sign of female empowerment.

My favorite cut was Greyworm going downtown on his woman and in the throws of passion CUT to a hand going in a gap of tanned books. It took me half a second to catch up that the scene had change. I thought it was just me, but my wife had the same reaction.

Theon still the jabronie. Always was. Always will be. He was dickless before he even met Ramsey. 

My favorite part of the war council was Tyrion having to use the toys to spell the plan out for everyone. Whatever the socio-sexual political implications of such a moment mean in the real world, I don't care. It was funny.

I think John Snow just went full Stark with that Littlefinger scene. What was the point? Why shit on a guy and then leave him alone to work his fucking magic? Just like Rob, he was doing so well and then that happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I think John Snow just went full Stark with that Littlefinger scene. What was the point? Why shit on a guy and then leave him alone to work his fucking magic? Just like Rob, he was doing so well and then that happened.

Like Littlefinger said when Ned choked him in season one, the Starks have quick tempers and slow minds. Jon's a dope just like his "father." At least the Stark women seem to have learned from the mistakes of the men in their family.

I wonder, is what happened with Nymeria going to happen in the books? Or was this just a cost-cutting measure? At least they didn't kill this one. And why do they cost so much? Are they actually fully CGI? I always figured they just made an actual wolf appear larger.

34 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

23 minutes ago, Throat said:

Like Littlefinger said when Ned choked him in season one, the Starks have quick tempers and slow minds. Jon's a dope just like his "father." At least the Stark women seem to have learned from the mistakes of the men in their family..

Eh.  Baelish is a sniveling d-bag that needed to be put on notice while he didn't have an army to cower behind.

I wouldn't have allowed Baelish to hang the "Remember When I Saved Your Ass?" marker over my head like the Sword of Damoclese either and talk shit to me as if we were equals. 

I'm the fucking king around here so know your role.

Jon did the right thing.

With Sansa becoming a somewhat kinder but not so much gentler Cersei and Arya on her way back home and possibly being made aware of Baelish's role in her father's death, Petyr had better watch his fucking step lest his name gets added to The List..

• Like 3

I think you wildly overestimate Sansa's loyalties to Jon. I'm sure we're about one episode away from Littlefinger dropping the "Jon's not actually a Stark" hint at her.  

She's turning heel this season, you watch. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think you wildly overestimate Sansa's loyalties to Jon. I'm sure we're about one episode away from Littlefinger dropping the "Jon's not actually a Stark" hint at her.  

If she does that, then she is a even bigger idiot than Cersei is.

If Sansa entertains Baelish's power schemes while he twirls his moustache, they'll be nothing left to rule after the White Walker Invasion Tour pays a visit to Winterfell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

She's turning heel this season, you watch. 

Isn't Jon technically a Stark, though. It's just that he's Lyanna's kid

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Eh.  Baelish is a sniveling d-bag that needed to be put on notice while he didn't have an army to cower behind.

I wouldn't have allowed Baelish to hang the "Remember When I Saved Your Ass?" marker over my head like the Sword of Damoclese either and talk shit to me as if we were equals. 

I'm the fucking king around here so know your role.

Jon did the right thing.

With Sansa becoming a somewhat kinder but not so much gentler Cersei and Arya on her way back home and possibly being made aware of Baelish's role in her father's death, Petyr had better watch his fucking step lest his name gets added to The List..

I like the idea that this whole episode was about people remembering or trying to remember their role:

Deanarys remembers "Hey, Varys, I am a fucking totalitarian and I think I'd like to see someone dribble piss down their pant leg right now!"

Arya remembering "Hey, I'm a wolf/psychopath...fuck home...my home is a river of my enemies blood!"

Jon remembering "Hey, I'm a Stark! I need to do something butch and dumb that will get me shivved!"

Theon remembering, "Oh yeah...I'm Reek and this world is not for me!"

And the Dornish remembering "Oh, yeah. We suck at pretty much everything!"

• Like 4