DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

6 hours ago, piranesi said:

At the beginning when Cersei was having her press conference I couldn't help thinking how Trump-like her spin of the situation sounded. And then when Deanerys revealed her strategy it was eerie how much it seemed like she was making some of the same mistakes Hillary Clinton made.

Namely, having all her super smart political minds convince her that the victory was so guaranteed that instead of the simple direct overpowering route, she could expand the map and peck around into enemy territory to humiliate them and not worry too much about the main part of the map and then she would win in such a convincing and bloodless way that she would be even stronger as ruler

Until the easy part turned out to not be easy.

Its more that the direct approach would leave way too many dead and made Danny no better than the Mad King. Blood was always gong to be spilled, but it is generally best to try to make that blood come from as few of your future citizens as possible. Also a plan to cut off Casterly Rock was kind of needed anyways. Really it wasn't a bad plan. Euron won more because of the surprise of the attack. EVA is right. Its clear someone sold them out.

I haven't seen someone choke as badly as Theon did since the 2007 Mets. (That joke was Cindy-approved. Begrudgingly.)

Missed opportunity: the jump from Grey Worm/Missandei getting down to Sam should've had him dumping out people's shit and vomiting just to fuck with everyone.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks the show is moving too fast? When they had the scene with Dany and Tyrion, talking about sending a raven to Jon Snow, I instantly made a "one hour later..." remark to my wife.

AND THEN IT WAS THE NEXT FUCKING SCENE.

So now ravens travel at the speed of a text message. 

Despite the speed of the show at this point, there was still a lot to love. Jon should have left Ser Davos with Sansa though. I don't think Brienne is enough to remind Sansa that she knows Littlefinger is a scummy piece of shit. Plus, I really want to see Ser Davos smack Littlefinger around.

By the way, Littlefinger admitting that he loved Kat and now loves Sansa was so gross. He got off light considering that the King in the motherfucking North only choked a bitch. I would have run him through and put his head on a pike.

I was amused by Sansaa's "Oh no Jon, you can't go, I won't let you....wait, I'm in charge while you're gone?  Ok cool see ya!"

I'm glad that Euron's gift to Cersei is going to be Myrcella and not the dragon horn like a lot of people feared - and that the solution to the dragons is just a really huge fucking spear ... even though I don't see that going well.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Am I the only one who thinks the show is moving too fast? When they had the scene with Dany and Tyrion, talking about sending a raven to Jon Snow, I instantly made a "one hour later..." remark to my wife.

She tweeted it to him.

• Like 2

Just now, MADCAP said:

Sansa is helping remember why I didn't like her in S1.  Also:

Was that the grossest cutaway ever?

"Eww, it looks like mac and cheese. HOLY FUCK IT IS MAC AND CHEESE."

That was brilliant on their part.

2 hours ago, CSC said:

- and that the solution to the dragons is just a really huge fucking spear ... even though I don't see that going well.  

Well... it worked for Sinbad .... kinda.... okay it was a huge fucking crossbow instead of a spear.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pete said:

I haven't seen someone choke as badly as Theon did since the 2007 Mets. (That joke was Cindy-approved. Begrudgingly.)

Missed opportunity: the jump from Grey Worm/Missandei getting down to Sam should've had him dumping out people's shit and vomiting just to fuck with everyone.

Well, it was also a trap. If he steps forward blade in hand Euron just slits Yara's throat and then most likely captures/kills Theon too. One of them needs to escape and survive, even if it's the lesser one.

Of course you might also argue that a relatively quick death is preferable to what's probably in store for big sis now (and Theon should know all about THAT life)

I think they're going to beat us over the head with Theon is a coward so it feels like something big when he finally steps up but much like having the intercontinental champ lose on tv every week before winning on ppv it risks going past the point of no return and being too little too late.

Assuming they even pay it off and don't just want to keep doing comedy jobber skits because it amuses them :)

• Like 2

I'm semi-stealing a line I saw, but The Disgusting Adventures of Samwell Tarly is the worst thing to ever happen to television.  

I WAS EATING VANILLA ICE CREAM, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.  

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Despite the speed of the show at this point, there was still a lot to love. Jon should have left Ser Davos with Sansa though. I don't think Brienne is enough to remind Sansa that she knows Littlefinger is a scummy piece of shit. Plus, I really want to see Ser Davos smack Littlefinger around.

By the way, Littlefinger admitting that he loved Kat and now loves Sansa was so gross. He got off light considering that the King in the motherfucking North only choked a bitch. I would have run him through and put his head on a pike.

The timing on this show is something that will haunt me forever.

End of last season we see little Sam in the citadel and he is just a baby. Meanwhile Tyrion and Dany are sailing for Westeros. Dany and co arrive at Westeros. Little Sam is now 2-3 years old. Even if he is about to turn 2, that's still close to a year on the open seas for Dany and her army. That means that at least 3 years went by while Varys traveled from King's Landing to Mereen to Dorne and back to Mereen in a last season.

In the same time we have seen Bran get back to the wall while the white walkers aren't even attacking the first castle yet.

Does my absolute head in trying to piece this together.

12 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

The timing on this show is something that will haunt me forever.

End of last season we see little Sam in the citadel and he is just a baby. Meanwhile Tyrion and Dany are sailing for Westeros. Dany and co arrive at Westeros. Little Sam is now 2-3 years old. Even if he is about to turn 2, that's still close to a year on the open seas for Dany and her army. That means that at least 3 years went by while Varys traveled from King's Landing to Mereen to Dorne and back to Mereen in a last season.

In the same time we have seen Bran get back to the wall while the white walkers aren't even attacking the first castle yet.

Does my absolute head in trying to piece this together.

Just assume that every storyline is being told at a different pace so they all converge at the same time.  Think of it like you are meeting friends for a dinner reservation.  Some people live closer to the restaurant, some people live farther away, others drive faster, and others drive slower, if they all get to the place at 8, why does the pace of how they got there matter?

• Like 3

They are moving a lot faster now which is tough in some spots because it's a lot to take in but I think with about 12 episodes left in the entire show they have plenty of time to wrap this up nicely. Winter is here. The Whitewalkers are coming.  Dany has arrived.  All of the characters are interacting now.  

I think the next 6 episodes probably deal with the great war that's about to pop off.    Then the last 6 is for the love of God,  save the planet.  

5 hours ago, piranesi said:

And the cure to greyscale is...to cut off all the greyscale.

Nah, that was just the first step. Some (possibly dangerous?) solution needs to be applied to the skin under it. And it didn't sound like there is any guarantee it will work. 

Plus Sam is now at risk...

I marked hard when Euron killed 2 Bad Pussies. It still bothers me that somehow a bastard like Elaria Sand is apparently in charge of Dorne and old lady Oleanna (who is only a Tyrel by marriage) rules The Reach, in this strict patriarchal society, but yeah I get that they didn't have time for all the plotting and in-house fighting in these two regions.

57 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

I marked hard when Euron killed 2 Bad Pussies. It still bothers me that somehow a bastard like Elaria Sand is apparently in charge of Dorne and old lady Oleanna (who is only a Tyrel by marriage) rules The Reach, in this strict patriarchal society, but yeah I get that they didn't have time for all the plotting and in-house fighting in these two regions.

I can buy Oleanna still being charge. They've established that she makes it a point to be good to the small folk so she likely has a shit ton of support on that front. Plus she's been playing the game for a really long time so she's probably got allies in the right places. Ellaria Sand is a different story though. She was Oberyn's paramour but never had any power. She murdered the rightful Prince in cold blood. We're to just assume that everyone was cool with that?

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

We're to just assume that everyone was cool with that?

Ignoring the obvious that her only tie to the throne was that she was banging a Martell. 

1. Who is left to oppose her claim?

2. Who is around to contradict the version of events she told to everyone concerning the nature of the Prince's death?

No one here believes that Ellaria Sand would cop to a blatant coup.  Obviously The Prince was assassinated by the Lannisters and by God there needs to be a war because Dorne deserves justice so poor Ellaria Sand reluctantly assumed the throne.  Heavy is the head ad nauseum.

It is really funny how the only person getting consistently good advice right now is Cersei.

Sansa inadvertently sows dissent out of concern for Jon's well being and protecting the Stark rice bowl and Oleanna Tyrell, Yara Greyjoy and Ellaria Sand are far more interested in revenge than the rule of law right now..

I'm used to seeing Tyrion as the cooler head that prevails, but Jaime Lannister building bridges with calls for loyalty and honor rather than a sword to the throat?  That's new.

Jaime is also smart enough to know that toying with the affections of Euron Greyjoy is a bad idea even if you really do need his help.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, Pete said:

I haven't seen someone choke as badly as Theon did since the 2007 Mets. (That joke was Cindy-approved. Begrudgingly.).

It was supposed to look like PTSD, but it really did appear like a choke job.

Up until that point, Theon was a fucking house of fire.  Then Yara has an ax to her throat, Crazy Euron starts talking shit, and Theon picks that particular moment for the Fog of War to take hold?

I marked heavily for the Greyjoy soldier armed with the cesti.  Dude just rolled in with spikes on his knuckles and started punching mother fuckers in the face.

The Hound's personal journey of atonement is awesome and sad.  He will get his personal shit together just in time to be wight bait.

Aww, Missandei and Grey Worm got together.  Finally a moment of intimacy in this series that wasn't tacky or otherwise offensive. 

Haven't really seen that since Dani and Drogo were the Westeros power couple and even that relationship pretty much started off as sexual assault.

When Brienne of Tarth and the Wildling dude finally hook up, please have that shit fade to fireplace as quickly as possible.