DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Um, everyone there was involved in the red wedding. She killed the whole lot because they deserved it. That's why she told the girl that the wine wasn't meant for her.

You think everybody in houses Karstark and Umber who fought with Ramsey Bolton is dead?  That seems unlikely to me.

Plus there's no way that everybody who Arya poisoned was involved in the Red Wedding. 

Umber and Karstark holdings are closest to the wall (hence their being anti-Jon and pro-Ramsay because of Jon letting the free folk in in the first place).

This means Umber and Karstark lands are also first in the White Walkers' path.

Those lands are a poison prize for anyone else, and the probationary sentence for the remaining Umbers and Karstarks.  They'll either hold the line and deserve to keep their lands or they'll be overrun and fuck 'em, that's what you get.

They'll fight on Jon's side against the army of the dead because they will have to

Granted, it would've been nice to have either Jon or Sansa vocalize this to each other, but tension in the Stark Foundation is probably gonna be the angle for a while.

15 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Granted, it would've been nice to have either Jon or Sansa vocalize this to each other, but tension in the Stark Foundation is probably gonna be the angle for a while.

Jon is Tony

Sansa is Pepper

sam is Happy

2 hours ago, Throat said:

It seemed especially pointless to punish those two houses when they've both been reduced to children being in charge. I doubt those kids had much say in betraying the Starks. Plus the new head of the Umbers is named Ned! Greatjon Umber certainly wouldn't have sided with the Boltons had he still been alive. The guy was loyal to Robb even after his direwolf bit off his fingers. It was his prick son Smalljon who sided with Ramsay.

Apparently Stannis told Sam about the dragonglass at Dragonstone in season five. Not sure why it was such a big revelation for him when he read about it later in a book. Must have slipped his mind.

Sam mentioned it but he thought Stannis was lying.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

How do you book Ed Sheeran and NOT have the hound decapitate him.

Someone on Twitter had a great line about Sheeran as a White Walker headlining Westeros Glastonbury for the next thousand years. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eivion said:

Who is Ed Sheeran, and why does everyone hate him?

The answer to both questions are this....

Everyone's false outrage this week will be fun when Arya drives Needle through his throat next week. 

10 hours ago, tigertooth said:

You think everybody in houses Karstark and Umber who fought with Ramsey Bolton is dead?  That seems unlikely to me.

Plus there's no way that everybody who Arya poisoned was involved in the Red Wedding. 

I don't think Arya was that insanely concerned with being completely accurate.  She's probably never encountered a male Frey that *wasn't* a piece of shit, so if there's a little collateral damage along the way, so be it.  

Considering the sheer number of soldiers (plus a king, queen and queen mum, and a direwolf, and...) that were butchered at the Red Wedding, I'm pretty sure Arya could literally wipe out the entire Frey line like they were House Reyne against Tywin and she still wouldn't come close to balancing the ledger.  But it doesn't hurt to try.  

From the Many Faced God's perspective, there are still scores of lives the Freys have taken that need to be answered for ("a life for a life" as it were).  This was a good start.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tigertooth said:

I'd imagine most of the Karstarks and Umbers who fought with Ramsey are dead or imprisoned.  That battle was bloody as hell, and enemies are generally either killed or held hostage in that world.  The two people in charge clearly weren't in that fight, meaning they either weren't in on the betrayal or were too young to participate.  

As for the Frey's, I think that hall was too small to hold all the people involved in the Red Wedding.  That one act pretty much slaughtered all of Robb's army.  What happened indoors with Robb, his wife, and Catelyn is only a small part of what happened.  His entire host was camped outside the twins, and they killed all of those people too.  She clearly said she invited every Frey that matters to that feast, and odds are all of them were involved.  House Frey was a measly little insignificant house who happened to hold a strategically important castle, and they ended up becoming the Lord Paramounts to the Riverlands which is one of the richest areas in all of Westeros.  The entire family would have signed up for that.

• Like 4

Bringing in the Umbers and Karstarks is a win / kinda win.

The new leadership of the clans gets a chance to divorce themselves from the Red Wedding and get in good with the new King In The North and if there are still some shitbugs in those families, they'll be the first ones eaten by the Walkers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The answer to both questions are this....

Everyone's false outrage this week will be fun when Arya drives Needle through his throat next week. 

I did hear this one, or at least part of it, before. Never knew who sung it. I was mostly indifferent to it. Of course I also didn't actually watch the video part past the first 20 seconds, maybe that helped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

As for the Frey's, I think that hall was too small to hold all the people involved in the Red Wedding.  That one act pretty much slaughtered all of Robb's army.  What happened indoors with Robb, his wife, and Catelyn is only a small part of what happened.  His entire host was camped outside the twins, and they killed all of those people too.  She clearly said she invited every Frey that matters to that feast, and odds are all of them were involved.  House Frey was a measly little insignificant house who happened to hold a strategically important castle, and they ended up becoming the Lord Paramounts to the Riverlands which is one of the richest areas in all of Westeros.  The entire family would have signed up for that.

The Freys were also characterized as being pretty stupid and worthless outside of Walder (witness their absolute disasters at Riverrun, which was also a former Tully stronghold, giving Arya even more reason to be pissy at them).  The real slaughter wasn't inside the hall, it was outside when nearly the entire Stark army was jumped and massacred by the Freys and their ilk.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Bringing in the Umbers and Karstarks is a win / kinda win.

The new leadership of the clans gets a chance to divorce themselves from the Red Wedding and get in good with the new King In The North and if there are still some shitbugs in those families, they'll be the first ones eaten by the Walkers.

I'm betting we get a shot of the child leaders as walkers once the invasion happens - there's no way it goes well for them.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The god awful GOT Telltale game begans at the Red Wedding outside as you and your Lord (Team Stark) and his men get slaughtered. 

I liked that game more before I realized that the "choices" you get to make don't actually affect the storyline in any major way.  It still ends the same, which kills the replay value for me.  A pity.

Spoilery question regarding the White Walkers...

Spoiler

When we see the shot of the Walkers marching, they have giants among them. So are we to assume that the Night King has and is using the Horn of Winter?

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hide contents

When we see the shot of the Walkers marching, they have giants among them. So are we to assume that the Night King has and is using the Horn of Winter?

Spoiler

I"m going to say no, and they are just giants that they raised from the dead.  I don't think they've set it up well enough on the show for them to use that or the dragon horn and make it feel satisfying.  

The premier was really good, but I hate that Sam had the, "Eureka, there is dragonglass at Dragonstone," moment.  Especially when he said, "Stannis, remember him, the one dude who wouldn't lie if his life depended on it, yeah he told me there was a lot of dragonglass there, but I thought that jokester was pulling my leg."  It is talking down to the audience in a way that feels unnecessary.  The scene where Stannis told Sam that there was dragonglass in Dragonstone felt important when it happened, and the audience should remember.  If not, just have Jon mention it in his huge exposition meeting.  Sam is supposed to be the smart guy, he shouldn't need to be reminded of something that is so important.  

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I thought they were

Hide contents

The giants that died at hardhome and/or at the gate.

Since both Wun Wun and Mag the Mighty passed while fighting with/against the Night's Watch, it would've been extremely stupid of them not to burn the bodies, since they already knew what happens if they don't.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Reveal hidden contents

Is this the horn Sam and Grenn found among a hidden cache of dragonglass in season 2? What happened to that? Was it ever mentioned again?

I can see the logic in letting the Karstarks off with a slap on the wrist as they mainly turned because of Robb's actions, but the Umbers handed over Rickon and decapitated his wolf.  Certain stuff you have to punish and I'm pretty certain that falls under that heading.

10 hours ago, username said:

I can see the logic in letting the Karstarks off with a slap on the wrist as they mainly turned because of Robb's actions, but the Umbers handed over Rickon and decapitated his wolf.  Certain stuff you have to punish and I'm pretty certain that falls under that heading.

This is why the Umbers will probably serve as pikers and skirmishers instead of archers, cavalry, or sappers when the white horde hits.

If they serve with honor and survive, all is forgiven.  

If they all die? No big loss they were traitors anyway and remember to burn the bodies as you egress to better ground..

Did it bug anyone else that Jon didn't mention that Valeryian steel can destroy a white walker? I know those blades are in short supply but I still think it's something that'd be worth mentioning, especially seeing as how one of his best fighters, Brienne, has one.