DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Who is Ed Sheeran, and why does everyone hate him?

He is a pop star who apparently is very polarizing.. 

I assume this comes from the zeitgeist of the current music industry where folks assume that stars are engineered and marketed for success rather than getting to the top of the charts on the merits of their own artistic talents.

From what I've read about him elsewhere, Ed's a pretty decent fellow but I can't say that I am a fan of his music.

I was just curious since any time I see the guy's name mentioned there seems to be a decent bit of dislike coming from people. I don't think I've heard anything from him, but I don't really go out of my way to listen to current music.

Lol, I know who Ed Sheeran is.  Kinda.

I have no idea who  Sigur Ros, Mastodon, Of Mountain and Men, or Robson & Jerome are.  

I've heard of Snow Patrol and Coldplay but couldn't name a song by either.

I am old.

So Jon brought the Karstarks and Umbers back into the fold.  I can see why he did it - bodies are bodies - but did he make them pay any price whatsoever?  He has some leverage there, especially if they believe the walkers are coming.  I'd think he'd say that they'll get their shit back if they help beat the walkers -- and they get to be on the front line.  Giving it to them for free seemed awfully Neddish.

EDIT: Just read elsewhere that the Karstark and Umber houses are the farthest north, so they're essentially on the front line whether they like it or not.  In that case, it makes better sense, though Jon might have mentioned that to Sansa.  (unless they said this on the show, in which case I need to watch with quieter people)

His reasoning is that those that joined Ramsey died during the retaking of Winterfell, and he wasn't going to punish the whole House for the sins of the Lords, especially when those Lords got deaded.  It isn't the worst decision in the world, as it cements that Jon will at least be a fair ruler, and the rest of the houses were at least pubically Ok with it.  He had a point on Sansa, who's advising with more of a Lannister bend, along with Littlefinger in her ear.  Jon's at least so far playing the game smarter than Rob.  

I'm going to guess that Sam finding out that the Dragonglass mine is on Dragonstone is going to lead to the Jon/Dany alliance, as Jon will almost certinally give up to North to Dany for the weapons and Dragons to fight the Walkers.

Arya jumped up to biggest badass in the show in 10 minutes.

It seemed especially pointless to punish those two houses when they've both been reduced to children being in charge. I doubt those kids had much say in betraying the Starks. Plus the new head of the Umbers is named Ned! Greatjon Umber certainly wouldn't have sided with the Boltons had he still been alive. The guy was loyal to Robb even after his direwolf bit off his fingers. It was his prick son Smalljon who sided with Ramsay.

Apparently Stannis told Sam about the dragonglass at Dragonstone in season five. Not sure why it was such a big revelation for him when he read about it later in a book. Must have slipped his mind.

53 minutes ago, tigertooth said:

Interesting that you support the decisions of both Jon and Arya, since they're essentially opposite: Jon didn't blame the whole family for the actions of a few; Arya killed the whole lot.

Um, everyone there was involved in the red wedding. She killed the whole lot because they deserved it. That's why she told the girl that the wine wasn't meant for her.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Um, everyone there was involved in the red wedding. She killed the whole lot because they deserved it. That's why she told the girl that the wine wasn't meant for her.

You think everybody in houses Karstark and Umber who fought with Ramsey Bolton is dead?  That seems unlikely to me.

Plus there's no way that everybody who Arya poisoned was involved in the Red Wedding. 

Umber and Karstark holdings are closest to the wall (hence their being anti-Jon and pro-Ramsay because of Jon letting the free folk in in the first place).

This means Umber and Karstark lands are also first in the White Walkers' path.

Those lands are a poison prize for anyone else, and the probationary sentence for the remaining Umbers and Karstarks.  They'll either hold the line and deserve to keep their lands or they'll be overrun and fuck 'em, that's what you get.

They'll fight on Jon's side against the army of the dead because they will have to

Granted, it would've been nice to have either Jon or Sansa vocalize this to each other, but tension in the Stark Foundation is probably gonna be the angle for a while.

15 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Granted, it would've been nice to have either Jon or Sansa vocalize this to each other, but tension in the Stark Foundation is probably gonna be the angle for a while.

Jon is Tony

Sansa is Pepper

sam is Happy

2 hours ago, Throat said:

It seemed especially pointless to punish those two houses when they've both been reduced to children being in charge. I doubt those kids had much say in betraying the Starks. Plus the new head of the Umbers is named Ned! Greatjon Umber certainly wouldn't have sided with the Boltons had he still been alive. The guy was loyal to Robb even after his direwolf bit off his fingers. It was his prick son Smalljon who sided with Ramsay.

Apparently Stannis told Sam about the dragonglass at Dragonstone in season five. Not sure why it was such a big revelation for him when he read about it later in a book. Must have slipped his mind.

Sam mentioned it but he thought Stannis was lying.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

How do you book Ed Sheeran and NOT have the hound decapitate him.

Someone on Twitter had a great line about Sheeran as a White Walker headlining Westeros Glastonbury for the next thousand years. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eivion said:

Who is Ed Sheeran, and why does everyone hate him?

The answer to both questions are this....

Everyone's false outrage this week will be fun when Arya drives Needle through his throat next week.