DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The last scene will be Edmure in the cell saying "Hello?"

The camera pans over to the adjacent cell, where a man with a beard down to his navel, vaguely recognizable as Gendry The Baratheon Bastard, mutters, "Don't bother."

Cue laugh track, applause, credits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Eh, she should gut him just for drill.

As satisfying as Arya's scene was, it was about as believable as Frank Drebin ripping off his mask and beating up the Ayatollah.  Her character right now is literally operating at Drebin-level.

Her whole plotline was by far the weakest of this season, and probably of the previous one as well.  

Oh, wait, the Dorne crap.

Well certainly this season.

1 minute ago, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

The camera pans over to the adjacent cell, where a man with a beard down to his navel, vaguely recognizable as Gendry The Baratheon Bastard, mutters, "Don't bother."

Cue laugh track, applause, credits.

Then they dance to this:

• Like 2

I know it's pedantic, but I'm slightly bugged by the fact that both Cersei and Arya used the "my face is the last thing you'll see before you die" line, but in neither case was their face the last thing the victim saw.

A lot of folks got revenge in this episode, but one person notably did not: Davos.  And yet at the end, he's supporting Jon Snow anyway.  Nice that there's somebody on the show who's not consumed by hate.

But props to Arya for realizing that the best way to get revenge for the Red Wedding was to serve up a Red Pudding.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Westeros is Utah, Aegon the Conqueror married two of his sisters.  They stopped doing that, because the faith had a problem with it, not because it is illegal.  Being that the faith just burned to death, and Dany is being supported by the followers of R'hllor, I don't think that will come up.  Jon would be next in line over Dany, because it goes from King to the first born, to the first born's children.  Rhaegar's children are before his siblings.

The Utah thing was merely a quip, the comparison doesn't really work. The thing is, that a marriage between Rhaegar and Lyanna would have to be sanctioned by Law (aka the Seven) and by that law it would be impossible (because of Rhaegar's marriage with Elia) therefore making Jon a Targaryen Royal/Great bastard since he was born out of wedlock.

The High Sparrow/Septon dying doesn't mean that the Faith is gone, they're just as weak (as an institution) as they were 2 years ago, the populace of Westeros is still 90% adherent to The Seven.

Maybe they married under the law of The Old Gods or some bullshit but in the end Jon's legitimacy is still weak as hell.

This one is for the book readers....

stODwDq.jpg

Ned brought Dawn (covered in blood) into the birth room. Pretty much just to fuck with us prophecy geeks, I guess.  

"When the red star bleeds....."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcosLoura said:

The Utah thing was merely a quip, the comparison doesn't really work. The thing is, that a marriage between Rhaegar and Lyanna would have to be sanctioned by Law (aka the Seven) and by that law it would be impossible (because of Rhaegar's marriage with Elia) therefore making Jon a Targaryen Royal/Great bastard since he was born out of wedlock.

The High Sparrow/Septon dying doesn't mean that the Faith is gone, they're just as weak (as an institution) as they were 2 years ago, the populace of Westeros is still 90% adherent to The Seven.

Maybe they married under the law of The Old Gods or some bullshit but in the end Jon's legitimacy is still weak as hell.

The Seven aren't the law.  They are a faith that is practiced by a quickly shrinking majority.  The Targaeryens joined the faith of the seven, but most weren't exactly devout.  Rhaegar was the crown prince, he essentially could do whatever he wanted and it would be considered legal.  The Faith of the Seven is not 90% of the kingdom, they are probably around 60-65%.  The entire North worships the Old Gods, as do multple large houses in the south.  The Drowned God is the religion of the Iron Islands, and Stannis pretty muched converted the Crownlands to the worship of R'hllor.  The High Septon and the Faith Militant being burned alive in the Great Sept of Baelor is a huge blow to the Faith of the Seven.  If the Seven's laws meant anything at all, the Lannisters would have been thrown out of King's Landing a long time ago.  During the reign of the Targaeryens they pretty much neutered the strength of the seven.  They weren't allowed to arm themselves, they generally appointed Targaeryen puppets to the top positions, and were sworn not to go against Targaeryen rule.  Rhaegar could have had 75 wives, and they couldn't really stop them.  

• Like 2

More observant people than me are pointing out how much Cersei's amazing new outfit she had made for trial day:

opugrvbqv0zycdgpmor8.jpg

is essentially the girl version of Tywin's regular kip

tywin2.png

which would seem to indicate that, whether or not she was planning on Tommen's demise, she was certainly resigned to it, no longer mourning it, and planning on moving forward from it.

This is also a nice bit from a io9 recap:

"When Jaime stares at the dead-eyed Cersei on the Iron Throne, I don’t think he sees his sister. He sees a mad queen."

gufybarl0hgo3ra5clh2.png

• Like 1

Varys must have a speedboat.  Essos to Dorne and back to be on board HMS Golden Dragon in time for the invasion!

Loved Mini Mormont being the most badass new character.

Would love Jorah to get cured of the grey scale, ride back to Mereen and meet up with Daario and be like "hey Daario, where's Khaleesi? Oh wait, you got friend zoned too? Shit"

My point, on the other hand, is the utter lack of any one to confirm that they did marry.

Of course, in universe, only Bran knows any of this at all. Jon has no practical claim to the throne regardless, everyone that could voice his claim, bastard or otherwise, is dead. 

This is about riding dragons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

My point, on the other hand, is the utter lack of any one to confirm that they did marry.

Of course, in universe, only Bran knows any of this at all. Jon has no practical claim to the throne regardless, everyone that could voice his claim, bastard or otherwise, is dead. 

This is about riding dragons.

I, for one, am happy to be in a world where evidence learned as hearsay from a bleeding tree is not admissible.

• Like 3

If only there was some person that has served the Targaryen Family that could've been privy to a secret marriage and birth and possibly produce documents to confirm as such.

Spoiler

CPONsPRWoAARjlu.jpg

I mean, it's impossible, right?

And while the show didn't totally establish things, basically the jist is that the Targaryen's did whatever the fuck they waited Faith wise because as the Royal line, they were above the laws of the faith, especially one they didn't practice.  So while they didn't practice polyagamy to be nice to the Faith, there was no law stopping them because they WERE the law,  (which is also why no one ever bothered them for practicing incest for almost every generation.)  So it's possible that the marrage is legit and legal under that particular Faith.

• Like 2

I kind of got the sense he was going to be stifled by some stupid rules where he has to apprentice for ten years before he can read a book or some dumb shit.

But it would be a nice change of pace if the intellectuals of this horrible world behaved smartly and usefully instead.

3 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

If only there was some person that has served the Targaryen Family that could've been privy to a secret marriage and birth and possibly produce documents to confirm as such.

Reveal hidden contents

CPONsPRWoAARjlu.jpg

I mean, it's impossible, right?

And while the show didn't totally establish things, basically the jist is that the Targaryen's did whatever the fuck they waited Faith wise because as the Royal line, they were above the laws of the faith, especially one they didn't practice.  So while they didn't practice polyagamy to be nice to the Faith, there was no law stopping them because they WERE the law,  (which is also why no one ever bothered them for practicing incest for almost every generation.)  So it's possible that the marrage is legit and legal under that particular Faith.

Still skipping the main point: we have no evidence there was a marriage.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

do we think Jon actually IS.. 

Hide contents

Azor Ahai, the prince that was promised. "Promise me, Ned".

Not really a spoiler but it fits right?

Jon or Dany.  Reborn of salt and smoke when the red star bleeds could fit either of them with the red star finally falling into place for Jon (the sword in that picture is rumored to have been made out of a fallen star or some such). 

Obviously Dany has him on the dragons bit.

If you separate the two prophecies it could be both. Melissandre is the only one who uses the terms interchangebly in the books and she isn't the most reliable source. Prince that was promised = Jon -- Azor Ahia = Dany perhaps?