DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I'm pissed Margery died, but there was so much awesome shit in this episode i can't be too angry. Lady Mormont is so damn great. Arya's vengeance was just fantastic. The whole build to the death of the Faith Militant was brilliant. I could go on and on, but there was just way too much greatness happening. The only things I wasn't big on was the weird time jumping (surely this could have been pulled off a little better) and as mentioned before Margery's death. I'm excited for what comes next season even though I know its likely a whole lot of anger and sorrow over favorites biting it because way too much good shit happened here. We are more than likely not getting anything this satisfying again. I suspect most of the coming victories will be Pyrrhic.

Martell, not Tyrell. Red Sun & Black Spear on a yellow field. The Tyrell emblem is a gold rose on a green field.

Also, if Jon Snerr is now King in the North, and then Bran (Ned's actual son) comes back from beyond the wall, does Jon have to abdicate in favour of Bran? A legitimate son always inherits first, bastards aren't included in the succession unless they're legitimised by royal decree. Although technically that means Jon could just legitimise himself right now.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Martell, not Tyrell. Red Sun & Black Spear on a yellow field. The Tyrell emblem is a gold rose on a green field.

Also, if Jon Snerr is now King in the North, and then Bran (Ned's actual son) comes back from beyond the wall, does Jon have to abdicate in favour of Bran? A legitimate son always inherits first, bastards aren't included in the succession unless they're legitimised by royal decree. Although technically that means Jon could just legitimise himself right now.

If R+L=J has been confirmed, wouldn't that make Jon a Targaryen and the rightful king over even Daenerys at this point?

Honestly, the lines of succession fascinate me.  And it looks like whoever theorized that Cersei was actually next in succession was dead on, assuming this wasn't just a hostile takeover of the Iron Throne after killing literally EVERYONE.

Fucking amazing episode.  Forget Jon, I'm bending the knee for the true QUEENINDANORF, Lyanna Mormont.

It was a hostile takeover for Cersie.

Assuming Rhaegar and Lyanna wed in secret....Jon is a Prince's son, Dany is the King's daughter. Think she still has him beat on the succession, but not 100% on that. 

I'm working with the theory that they were married, because it makes more sense for the Kingsguard to be there after the Prince is dead if they are protecting an heir.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jrag said:

It was a hostile takeover for Cersie.

Yeah Cersei is queen now because she has

1) the Mountain

2) a recent rack record of being able to kill everyone in her way

whoever wants to stand against that go ahead and raise your hand.

To my understanding of Primogenitor Inheritance with titles, it goes to the first available Male heir if he so wishes to claim it.  Dany being  daughter to the last Targaryen King makes no difference, if Jon is recognized as the primary Male then he would be offeredthe crown first. Of course given the Targaryen propensity for keeping it in the family, Dany and Jon could marry to "strengthen the bloodline". If I'm wrong in my understanding of this please correct me

James

40 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

Rhaegar was already married though, Westeros is not Utah.

Also it's so weird when the show goes full meta regarding the Sand Snakes, that Queen of Thorns beatdown was so silly.

Westeros is Utah, Aegon the Conqueror married two of his sisters.  They stopped doing that, because the faith had a problem with it, not because it is illegal.  Being that the faith just burned to death, and Dany is being supported by the followers of R'hllor, I don't think that will come up.  Jon would be next in line over Dany, because it goes from King to the first born, to the first born's children.  Rhaegar's children are before his siblings.

• Like 2

Eh, she should gut him just for drill.

As satisfying as Arya's scene was, it was about as believable as Frank Drebin ripping off his mask and beating up the Ayatollah.  Her character right now is literally operating at Drebin-level.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The last scene will be Edmure in the cell saying "Hello?"

The camera pans over to the adjacent cell, where a man with a beard down to his navel, vaguely recognizable as Gendry The Baratheon Bastard, mutters, "Don't bother."

Cue laugh track, applause, credits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Eh, she should gut him just for drill.

As satisfying as Arya's scene was, it was about as believable as Frank Drebin ripping off his mask and beating up the Ayatollah.  Her character right now is literally operating at Drebin-level.

Her whole plotline was by far the weakest of this season, and probably of the previous one as well.  

Oh, wait, the Dorne crap.

Well certainly this season.

1 minute ago, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

The camera pans over to the adjacent cell, where a man with a beard down to his navel, vaguely recognizable as Gendry The Baratheon Bastard, mutters, "Don't bother."

Cue laugh track, applause, credits.

Then they dance to this:

• Like 2

I know it's pedantic, but I'm slightly bugged by the fact that both Cersei and Arya used the "my face is the last thing you'll see before you die" line, but in neither case was their face the last thing the victim saw.

A lot of folks got revenge in this episode, but one person notably did not: Davos.  And yet at the end, he's supporting Jon Snow anyway.  Nice that there's somebody on the show who's not consumed by hate.

But props to Arya for realizing that the best way to get revenge for the Red Wedding was to serve up a Red Pudding.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Westeros is Utah, Aegon the Conqueror married two of his sisters.  They stopped doing that, because the faith had a problem with it, not because it is illegal.  Being that the faith just burned to death, and Dany is being supported by the followers of R'hllor, I don't think that will come up.  Jon would be next in line over Dany, because it goes from King to the first born, to the first born's children.  Rhaegar's children are before his siblings.

The Utah thing was merely a quip, the comparison doesn't really work. The thing is, that a marriage between Rhaegar and Lyanna would have to be sanctioned by Law (aka the Seven) and by that law it would be impossible (because of Rhaegar's marriage with Elia) therefore making Jon a Targaryen Royal/Great bastard since he was born out of wedlock.

The High Sparrow/Septon dying doesn't mean that the Faith is gone, they're just as weak (as an institution) as they were 2 years ago, the populace of Westeros is still 90% adherent to The Seven.

Maybe they married under the law of The Old Gods or some bullshit but in the end Jon's legitimacy is still weak as hell.

This one is for the book readers....

stODwDq.jpg

Ned brought Dawn (covered in blood) into the birth room. Pretty much just to fuck with us prophecy geeks, I guess.  

"When the red star bleeds....."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcosLoura said:

The Utah thing was merely a quip, the comparison doesn't really work. The thing is, that a marriage between Rhaegar and Lyanna would have to be sanctioned by Law (aka the Seven) and by that law it would be impossible (because of Rhaegar's marriage with Elia) therefore making Jon a Targaryen Royal/Great bastard since he was born out of wedlock.

The High Sparrow/Septon dying doesn't mean that the Faith is gone, they're just as weak (as an institution) as they were 2 years ago, the populace of Westeros is still 90% adherent to The Seven.

Maybe they married under the law of The Old Gods or some bullshit but in the end Jon's legitimacy is still weak as hell.

The Seven aren't the law.  They are a faith that is practiced by a quickly shrinking majority.  The Targaeryens joined the faith of the seven, but most weren't exactly devout.  Rhaegar was the crown prince, he essentially could do whatever he wanted and it would be considered legal.  The Faith of the Seven is not 90% of the kingdom, they are probably around 60-65%.  The entire North worships the Old Gods, as do multple large houses in the south.  The Drowned God is the religion of the Iron Islands, and Stannis pretty muched converted the Crownlands to the worship of R'hllor.  The High Septon and the Faith Militant being burned alive in the Great Sept of Baelor is a huge blow to the Faith of the Seven.  If the Seven's laws meant anything at all, the Lannisters would have been thrown out of King's Landing a long time ago.  During the reign of the Targaeryens they pretty much neutered the strength of the seven.  They weren't allowed to arm themselves, they generally appointed Targaeryen puppets to the top positions, and were sworn not to go against Targaeryen rule.  Rhaegar could have had 75 wives, and they couldn't really stop them.  

• Like 2