DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

The one thing I realized is that this fantasy series has, up until now, been missing that classic hero / legendary sword battle moment. 

Jon Snow and Longclaw finally took their rightful place alongside Elric / Stormbringer, Morgaine / Changeling, and Aragorn / Anduril.

4 minutes ago, Throat said:

Wun Wun was the MVP of that battle. Sad to see him go, especially if he really was the last giant.

Rickon had me yelling at my TV. "Run in a zig-zag pattern, you idiot!"

Were you around for the DC Sniper?  This is the type of thing people said a lot during that time.

41 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Were you around for the DC Sniper?  This is the type of thing people said a lot during that time.

Which is futile because a good sniper is going to center his sights in the middle of your weaving pattern and lead his shot before you cross into his scope.

An exceptional archer like Ramsay is going to fire where he anticipates where you are going to be, not where you are.  Rickson was not a trained warrior so he did the best he could while scared out of his wits and dealing with a sadistic bastard that was just toying with him.

It's easy for Ramsay's doucheyness to make you forget that the guy was a formidable fighter and a brilliant tactician.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

If Ramsey was really smart, he would have used the opportunity to put the arrow through Jon's eye as he charged in to make the save.

There was zero downside to that. I thought, for a moment, that was his plan. It would have caused Jon's side to charge in anyway. It would have had the exact same effect upon his own troop's morale as killing a weaponless running-away kid anyway, so it's not like honor was a concern.

• Like 1

I don't think in a million years Ramsay thought they'd be on the losing end. And they wouldn't have been without the Hogan run-in. But that's Jon too. A lot of bad luck for Snow but also a lot of good luck. Like how didn't an arrow hit him. It's the Lord of Light at work. It's in his hands.

35 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

If Ramsey was really smart, he would have used the opportunity to put the arrow through Jon's eye as he charged in to make the save.

That would ignore Ramsay still being a chicken shit douchebag despite being an excellent swordsman and archer.  There is no way that Ramsay would risk trying to kill Jon himself and fucking it up only to have him eventually face Jon on the field.... even though Sansa took care of that...

Also in hindsight, not one single arrow fired from anyone ever came close to hitting Jon. The favor of the Lord of Light definitely shined on Jon that day.

Cunt-by-numbers: The real winner last night was Tormund with 2 cunts and a twat and he gets 5 bonus cunts for calling Stannis a cunt.  Everyone gets 5 bonus cunts for calling Stannis a cunt.  This actually manages to put him well in the lead for the season.

A bizarre run for second place goes to Davos with his weird obsession with everyone shitting.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

There was zero downside to that. I thought, for a moment, that was his plan. It would have caused Jon's side to charge in anyway. It would have had the exact same effect upon his own troop's morale as killing a weaponless running-away kid anyway, so it's not like honor was a concern.

The downside is the whole Jon can't be killed now thing. The arrow would have clanked off something and Ramsey would look like a shitty shot.

1 minute ago, Jrag said:

The downside is the whole Jon can't be killed now thing. The arrow would have clanked off something and Ramsey would look like a shitty shot.

It's a good thing for Ramsay that Maester Jrag of House YouKnowThatIKnowThat informed him of that fact.

Oh he should have taken the shot for sure. It would have skewered a low flying bird or something tho.

The real opening to take the shot was when he shot out the giant eye. The giant already had a billion arrows in him, maybe shoot at the warlord covered in other people's blood standing next to him instead.

edit: beat me to it

Just now, Michael Sweetser said:

With no remaining Bolton heirs, does this now make Sansa Wardeness of the North and Lady of Winterfell?

Bran is technically the rightful Lord of Winterfell, but most people believe him to be dead.  Sansa is next in line, then Arya, and then maybe Jon if the northern vassals don't object.  Ned was beloved enough that they probably would let his bastard son hold his seat, but bastards are generally outside of the line of succession.  Normally you need a royal decree for a bastard to inherit, unless there is not another legitimate heir.  

1 hour ago, bink_winkleman said:

I assumed while watching that we were supposed to be in awe of how Snow was a magical/mythical creature, and his aura of invincibility was shining through. It never occurred to me that it might just be cheesy writing.

Oh they definitely made that clear. Not just the arrows and the charging army, but a ton of close calls happened once the ground combat started and he never once showed any fear or concern for his well being.