DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

5 minutes ago, J.H. said:

We've name dropped Pia Zadora, its time for the lion to lay with the lamb!

James

Butterfly or whatever those movie was called was a popular video rental by our group of 11/12 year olds. 

I vaguely recall being but a lad and TV ads for "The Bad Girl" would come on during my Saturday Evening ritual of watching the power combo of The Love Boat/Fantasy Island... holy crap was Pia Zadoraever on The Love Boat? It seems like such a natural fit for some reason...

James

Surprisingly light on tv guest spots. Between the endless Charo push and The resurgent outlaw Zsa Zsa Gabor killing and eating a highway patrol officer, the room for "formerly hot shitty actress with giant hair and a weird name" was limited. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, piranesi said:

Surprisingly light on tv guest spots. Between the endless Charo push and The resurgent outlaw Zsa Zsa Gabor killing and eating a highway patrol officer, the room for "formerly hot shitty actress with giant hair and a weird name" was limited. 

Wasn't her manager/husband like super controlling and would hand pick all her projects? Can't imagine there would be a lot of tv guest spots that way.

Anyway...the episode. Not much to say, just pleasantly surprised that Beric and Frankie Wilde showed back up. I still think we'll eventually get a Clegane Bowl, just not until next year and not as a battle of faith.

Well that just won t.v.

That "oner" or simulated Birdman style oner of Jon Snow in battle was the greatest thing I've ever seen filmed for t.v.  It made the season one TRUE DETECTIVE shootout look like the season 2 TRUE DETECTIVE shootout.

I need to rewatch it though.  There were a few spots where I was utterly overwhelmed and confused, which was the point.

Not how i expected Ramsey to go, but hoist on his own petard is better than just being killed or executed by jon or sansa.

i wonder how much Dany/yara fan fiction has been written tonight already. 

Now, we wait until morning for JT's tactical analysis of Westeros Agincort. I presume he will castigate Jon for pulling a leroy jenkns. :)

Jon Snow is the greatest warrior in Westeros now. No close second. That was insanity. The HES CHANGED stuff finally paid off in a big way. They brought back a different man. A ruthless, invincible man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

That "oner" or simulated Birdman style oner of Jon Snow in battle was the greatest thing I've ever seen filmed for t.v. 

I know, right?  Fucking great shit.  GoT is one of the rare shows on television which can occasionally produce a truly unique action scene which doesn't feel like anything else we've seen before, and that long single-take of Jon was my favorite bit in the battle.  Although the Spartan-ish pincer move that the Boltons did with the big wall of shields was a close second.

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

even though it was pretty obvious Littlefinger would be doing the LOTR run-in at the end there.

Yeah, even though I knew it was coming, that irritated me.  The rest of the battle was so much fun with the surprisingly specific focus on the strategy and tactics involved... and rather than come up with a unique finish to explain how Jon's side manages to turn the tide, they just went "eh, fuck it, someone runs in and they win".  

3 minutes ago, bink_winkleman said:

and only the giant died. 

Somewhere, the soul of Rickon weeps quietly.  But he pretty much spent the past six seasons being forgotten and then crying about it off-screen, so that fits.  

Tyrion talking his way out of the shithouse while fireballs reigned down on them was pretty funny.

I know Rickon was supposed to be a helpless child of about, what 8?  But that actor towered over Ramsey and I was kind of annoyed he didn't at least take a shot at him when his hands were cut loose.  THE WILDLINGS ARE WATCHING, KID@!!!

Greatest night of television ever?  Or greatest night of television ever?  Fuck, I JUST watched this too.  I had to watch the NBA finals live obviously and I had Money in the Bank going on the tablet. I ended up missing parts of that because the finals were just too good. I was glued.

So then after it's all over I turn on 'Battle of the Bastards' and holy fucking shit @ that battle.  Second the strategy stuff. That was boss. Second the Jon Snow shots. Awesome.

The Jon Snow killing guy after guy and all the arrows fluttering around and missing him..  people looking on in amazement. It reminded me of Tombstone.

"You ever see anything like that?"   "Hell, I ain't even HEARD of anything like that"

• Like 2