DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I'm guessing that the scene with The Hound being recruited by the Brotherhood was silent and final acknowledgment that the writers won't be using Lady Stoneheart as a character.

Bastardbowl is this coming weekend.  Hopefully Ramsay lives to fight again.  It is way too soon to kill that fucker off, unless they know something about Season 7 that we don't.

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'm guessing that the scene with The Hound being recruited by the Brotherhood was silent and final acknowledgment that the writers won't be using Lady Stoneheart as a character.

Which is just the strangest damn choice to make.  Of all the things they've changed from the books, that one is the least sensical to me.  Lady Stoneheart's mere existence is a hugely important deal; but with Beric still hanging around it's pretty safe to say the show is never gonna use her at all.  

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

So since Cersei has to face a traditional trial and if she's found guilty, Tommen is not the rightful king and with no Baratheon alive, who rules the Seven Kingdoms? The Queen of Dorne would seemingly be the most available person since everyone else is fighting wars with the Dornish army most likely very slowly marching towards King's Landing.

She's actually on trial for her incest with Lancel, not Jaime, as the former can tie into conspiracy to assassinate King Robert (which Lancel also confessed to as part of his genuine guilt/penitence back when the Faith Militant angle started at the beginning of Season 5.  Lancel was King Robert's squire back in Season 1, and he's the one who provided Robert with the extra-strength wine that got him sloppy drunk on the hunt and thus mortally wounded) and be sufficient to get rid of Cersei.  Convicting her of the latter would undermine the legitimacy of King Tommen, who the High Septon has worked so hard to put in his pocket, so she's probably not even charged with that and if she is she will probably "conveniently" be acquitted of that charge, to "prove" once and for all that Tommen is the rightful king who does what the High Septon wants.

"Ok what's the twist." "Seriously what's the twist, they can't play this shit out straight like that." "Ah look that's the guy people thought was Syrio, silly people, but what's the twist though..." "Oh she's faking and she's gonna stab the Waif when she gets close, wait she's actually totally bleeding what the..." "I'm Arya Stark and I'm goi... FUCK OFF."

What the hell were these people thinking?

The Hound aka Charles Bronson is definitely cool but is such a 180º from the overall feeling of the books that I feel weird. This dude made a nice video about it:

• Like 2

Good video but I think he oversimplifies things a bit to make a point. There are far too many bad ass moments in the show but there are also plenty in the book. I'm a pacifist but couldn't help myself loving the character of Strong Belwas. He's a bad ass. Plus, Martin has only poked very tiny holes in the Heinlein theory of violence and authority. That scene which Piranesi and so many others loved so much between Little Finger and Varys talking about the nature of power was beautiful and great because they started to shed light that maybe having the most bad asses and killing the most people isn't the way to win and maintain a society.

But there are a lot of valid points. Just look at what they're doing with Sam. Grabs his dad's sword so he can try (and probably fail) at being a bad ass. It's why I think people love Tyrion so damned much. He is the least bad ass character heavily featured in the show (though he has a BAD ASS moments in the books). He's the most human character, the one closest connected to our sense of morality as Piranesi has said. I love Theon's arc so much because he's literally and metaphorically castrated. He's de-bad assed and has to find redemption in a relatively non-violent way. Basically, the politics of the book (and even the show) are murkier than I feel like this dude is portraying.

• Like 2

I just finished the third book, with the debut of Lady Stoneheart, and honestly, I'm not feeling it.  I'm not sure if it's because I started with the show and not the books, but I don't see the huge need for the character.  Plus it'd be another resurrected character and I'm more than sick of those already.

• Like 1

Part of it is timing. Lady Stoneheart and the Brotherhood Without Banners represented foreshadowing on how Jon could come back.

Having her debut after his resurrection would be seemingly useless, unless she has a major role to play down the line.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I thought Dany showing up in the nick of time was the worst thing in the episode far surpassing Arya not selling enough.  It was so cheesy.  Honestly, I'd be happy to not see anything from Essos until they are ready to finally move west.

The last time we saw Dany, she was flying back to the city on the back of a dragon.  I can buy her getting there at that time.  The last we saw Arya, she was stabbed in the gut, swimming in a shit filled canal, and bleeding out on the sidewalk.  I can't buy her doing parkour, sword fighting, and threatening a trained assassing before deciding to go the fuck home.  

In the books, they mention a special race of bottom-feeding bacteria-cleaning lichen unique to the sewers of Braavos, grown specifically from the body of a decaying dragon at the bottom of the canal, having died there centuries past. 

(Look. She's what? 12, 13 at this point? Tops. Maybe younger. Kids that age make stupid decisions especially under stress, especially after years of emotional torture and strain. She's also toughened up and leveled up. Maybe they could have portrayed the stabbing as a little less extreme, but I don't think this, of all things, is a hill to die on with this show)

Maybe she was with Lady Crane for a month, and The Faceless Men are just idiots would couldn't find her until they eventually did.  Plenty of gut-stabbed girls bleeding out all over Braavos, it will take a while to track them all down.  

Weak as hell.  It's up there with shirtless Ramsay facing down hardened Ironborn killers and cryptic Ramsay and "Ser 20 Goodmen" decimating an entire army with synchronized incendiaries and never being seen. 

For a show with faerie children who can create ice wizards out of men who can then turn babies into ice wizards and raise the dead to create ice zombies, kids who can grab a tree branch and see into the past alongside a thousand year-old man, giant wolves, people who can leap into the brains of those wolves, kids who can see into the past via a tree branch and interact with people that are part of the past, kids who can leap into the brains of giant sized men and create a time feedback loops that can cause those men to be mentally handicapped for life, women who wear magic necklaces that make them appear young and hot as fuck, women and men who can raise the dead but they don't come back as the same sort of dead people that the ice wizards bring back, three fucking dragons that hatched from ancient eggs, and a girl who can catch on fire and not be burned you people certainly are sticklers for reality. Jesus fucking Christ.   

• Like 12

I don't know.  One of the things that was so appealing to me about the show early on was how esoteric and rare magical events were.  They were there, but the bast majority of people and activities and even large-scale battles had nothing to do with them.

Obviously they are becoming a bigger part of the story as the dragons prepare for battle and the zombies are on the march.  But the "world" of Westeros was one in which 99% of events and people operated according to the dingy, muddy laws of basic brutal physical reality.  That majority segment was the thing that made the show feel philosophically important, if you want it to be about the nature of people, violence, ignorance, power, etc. is that even though there were fantasy bits on the margins, the moral code of Westeros was conducted within the same boundaries as ours...in other words stab or get stabbed with stabbing = death.  That's the stakes, here and there.

Certain characters were clearly in one realm while a few others drifted into another and I tended to instantly adjust my expectations accordingly.  One of the neat things about Arya meeting Jaquen was that Arya was a character squarely in the dingy, muddy, laws of basic brutal physical reality world who was dumbfounded by a few parlor tricks from someone int he other part of the world. Like a huge part of all that stuff you mentioned (apart from Direwolves who aren't really "magical" so much as just big) has largely been confined to exactly three people (Bran, Deanarys, and Melisandre) mostly in exactly two far off marginal parts of the realm and no one knows about one of them and almost no one believed until very recently in the other two because almost no one in the world of the show has every seen anything magical happen.

I suppose the person who comes closest to bridging the two is Qyburn by using what seems to be magical stuff to practice medicine in the dingy, muddy brutal world.

But I don't want to open the door to the logic that claims that since there is big magic in some parts of the universe then anything slightly unusual is a little magical part of the magic of the world.  Having to deal with factoring magic into the healing time of wounds really makes the calculus of something like the Battle of Blackwater impossible for me.  There has to be a point at which stabby is stabby and unless someone has demonstrated a very special means to overcome it (like the Red Priest), then you don't just "adjust for westeros healing".  That was supposed to be the whole point of Khal Drogo's ignominious death, to make it clear that the rules of the basic phsyical game in Westeros are the same all the way down to the bacterial level. You can be strong as an ox and still die from a paper cut.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

For a show with faerie children who can create ice wizards out of men who can then turn babies into ice wizards and raise the dead to create ice zombies, kids who can grab a tree branch and see into the past alongside a thousand year-old man, giant wolves, people who can leap into the brains of those wolves, kids who can see into the past via a tree branch and interact with people that are part of the past, kids who can leap into the brains of giant sized men and create a time feedback loops that can cause those men to be mentally handicapped for life, women who wear magic necklaces that make them appear young and hot as fuck, women and men who can raise the dead but they don't come back as the same sort of dead people that the ice wizards bring back, three fucking dragons that hatched from ancient eggs, and a girl who can catch on fire and not be burned you people certainly are sticklers for reality. Jesus fucking Christ.   

In defense of Mike, I grew up reading Conan stories and can appreciate the appeal of low magic fantasy settings. 

That being said, Westeros is a low magic fantasy setting, but we as the audience have the privilege of following the stories of some of the most important people on that planet and wild shit always happens in their wake. 

You can easily fall under the illusion that magic in Westeros is casual, but it really isn't. The average farmer in Westeros who drops dead is going to stay dead and there are no wizards in stone towers or forests full of elves or anything Tolkien-ny going on.

I think they made the stabbing so violent because they wanted to give off the impression that Arya might die, but it ended up making her look invincible.  Just a shitty miscalculation on their part. I think they could have gotten away with it if 1. the chase scene wasn't so cheesy and 2. the chase scene happened in episode 10. Whats the point of running those plot points in back to back episodes?

Also, I'm happy they didn't bring back Lady Stoneheart. I mean, she doesn't fucking do anything at all. It would have killed the Jon moment and the Jon moment is end game stuff.

The show has fucked up some characters and stories in boneheaded ways. but they have also enriched just as many. Some of it is simply excellent casting.  Lena Headey > Book Cersie by a wide margin for example. Some of it is a combo of expanded role and excellent casting, Show Tywin > Book Tywin. I'm not sure why all we are talking about is Arya or the damn Kingsmoot when all sorts of cool shit is happening around those scenes.

What REALLY magnifies the fuck ups is that so many characters are so far out of position for where they need to be in the end game. That's on George as much as anyone. So for every cool book excerpt that gets posted, I would like to point out just how far away George is from where he needs to be when book 7 starts.  Yes, the Arya training montage lasted 2 years for practically no reason, but George was on a very similar path. He brought us here and he damn sure ain't taking us anywhere anytime soon. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jrag said:

I think they made the stabbing so violent because they wanted to give off the impression that Arya might die, but it ended up making her look invincible.  Just a shitty miscalculation on their part. I think they could have gotten away with it if 1. the chase scene wasn't so cheesy and 2. the chase scene happened in episode 10. Whats the point of running those plot points in back to back episodes? 

Giving her more time on the mend would've helped a lot. Since we're doing some fantasy editing on this storyline, I'd go even further and cut everything between Arya blowing out the candle in episode 6 and killing The Waif in episode 8. We skip her stupidly wandering around the city without a care in the world, and there's no display of how invincible her guts are.