DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

My Arya theory: The girl who got stabbed is fake Sansa from the play. Actual Arya put her own face on fake Sansa without her realising, and that's why 'Arya' was being so open in public with her movements (and didn't have Needle with her), and why she was trying to buy passage back to Westeros (because she's running away from the theatre now everyone knows she tried to have the leading lady poisoned).

On 6/6/2016 at 11:32 AM, EVA said:

Must be nice to have HBO's rolodex at your disposal.

"Yeah, so we've got this extremely minor character who's only in one episode, but he has a whole season's worth of monologues.  We're talking a LOT of monologues here.  Who do you have who can pull that off?"

*thumbs through the rolodex*

"Clarke Peters?"

There has to be a character in the books that allows him to build dollhouse furniture throughout the entire season. If not, GRRM needs to get on it before the show ends.

• Like 1

Clarke Peters on GoT would be interesting. Just rework his dialogue from The Wire. No one will know the difference.

"You follow the Starks you get dire wolves and dead dire wolves. You follow the gold you don't know what the fuck you're gonna find"... ok it needs polishing

James

2 hours ago, AxB said:

My Arya theory: The girl who got stabbed is fake Sansa from the play. Actual Arya put her own face on fake Sansa without her realising, and that's why 'Arya' was being so open in public with her movements (and didn't have Needle with her), and why she was trying to buy passage back to Westeros (because she's running away from the theatre now everyone knows she tried to have the leading lady poisoned).

I don't think that tracks.  Much more likely it was Jaqen taking the bullet for her.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Fantastic episode. So much awesome stuff. One thing I loved that I haven't seen many comment on is that this is, what, the 7th episode in a row where Jamie and Cersei were outsmarted? Just every single episode this season they're looked like dopes.

Cersie is the biggest dope in the books so I'm glad that is translating well to the show. You initially think she is the smart one because she bested Ned, but once you realize Ned is the only one not playing The Game you start to see Cersie for what she truly is. Queen of Thorns shade is a solid way to translate that to the show.

Jaime has been too close in proximity to Cersie so the dopiness has rubbed off, but it's nice that they are separated now. I don't think Jaime was outsmarted this week. I doubt he fell for the "we have two years of provisions" line. He is in his element on the battlefield AND he slapped a Frey around. Solid week for him.

Jaime is still one of my favorite characters. More so in the books, but I like show Jaime too. That he is constantly derided for his most noble act makes him so damn interesting.

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

There are so many chickens, and the Hound is going to eat every last fucking one of them.

I've been waiting a long time on this show for someone who has a sense of justice and morality and is an actual monster.  The Hound seems to be almost there. 

I'd like to think that he "found his purpose" this week, which is to punish assholes for being assholes just on principle.

Hound as High Plains Drifter is pretty sweet.

18 hours ago, EVA said:

I don't think that tracks.  Much more likely it was Jaqen taking the bullet for her.

Nah, those theories just don't match how they executed the scene.  After she climbed out of the water and staggered around staring at every single person with infinite suspicion, that's clearly supposed to be the real Arya, realizing that she can never trust anyone's face again for the rest of her life.  Jaqen (if it even IS the original Jaqen, which they've teased it might not be) doesn't like her that much, he pretty much ordered the hit on her.  And he's never shown any sense of breaking the rules or self-sacrifice, he wouldn't take that bullet.  And it couldn't be some other decoy that Arya set up, because she never learned how the face-switching magic worked.  

• Like 1

I read a theory on Reddit that it was actually the woman that played Sansa in the play with Arya's face.  Arya did seem way too damn happy the whole time up until the stabbing.  Something isn't jiving.

I'm also happy that Bronn showed back up and is just as snarky as ever.  I need a Bronn.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy that Arya would know how to do any of that though, or that the actress would trust Arya.  For that I'd almost expect Jaquen to have set op the actress to save Arya.  Sure, the actress would come to him and demand restitution for the failed plot, and possibly to be safely gotten out of the city and he might have convinced her to use Arya's face somehow?

56 minutes ago, Jingus said:

Nah, those theories just don't match how they executed the scene.  After she climbed out of the water and staggered around staring at every single person with infinite suspicion, that's clearly supposed to be the real Arya, realizing that she can never trust anyone's face again for the rest of her life.  Jaqen (if it even IS the original Jaqen, which they've teased it might not be) doesn't like her that much, he pretty much ordered the hit on her.  And he's never shown any sense of breaking the rules or self-sacrifice, he wouldn't take that bullet.  And it couldn't be some other decoy that Arya set up, because she never learned how the face-switching magic worked.  

I'm not necessarily saying I agree with the theory, but if it was somebody else beside Arya, I think the Jaqen theory has more weight behind it.  I think it would be a bit of dirty pool to reveal it wasn't Arya, but shows play dirty pool all the time.

In fact, it's a pretty classic storytelling conceit to only give the audience partial information and let them read into it one way  (Arya is staring at everyone with suspicion and knows she can never trust any face she sees again!), only to come back later with more information that reveals it was something else (say, Jaqen/Arya making sure her he/she was seen on death's doorstep by as many people as possible, so the Faceless men won't search for her).

Also, I wouldn't confuse Jaqen being a stern mentor, or following through with his duty to order Arya's death, with Jaqen not liking Arya.  

And he actually played pretty loose with the rules when he was with Arya at Harrenhal back in the day.  In fact, to be technical about it, he still owes her his life as the 3rd name from Harrenhal.  Even though he bargained his way out of it by helping her escape, it would, again, be pretty classic storytelling to pull that out of your back pocket and have him go out as a hero, taking the bullet for her and being like, "Remember I owed a girl my liiiiiii...." *dies*

23 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

How is Arya still alive?

She's a big fucker and she's tough to kill? No, wait, that's the Hound.

• Like 3

I'm seeing the Arya thing as far more straightforward. She made a just decision, one that her dad would approve of (even if he wouldn't approve of the setting around it). There's consequence to decisions in this show. You have to live with them. She's going to have to survive hers. No one gets a free pass, ever. It's as simple as that.

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No one caring about someone being beaten in the streets seems quite common in the world of Game of Thrones.  

Yeah.  And especially in Braavos; in the books, that city has an entire class of foppish swordsmen who walk around all night looking for excuses to start a duel.  Come on, guys, let's face it, that was really Arya getting really stabbed half to death.  (Let's just ignore how she mysteriously survives the exact same wounds which killed Robb's wife at the wedding.)

Well do take in to account, the Frey's made sure those at the wedding were 100% dead whereas Arya did escape before further damage could be inflicted. She might only have a belly wound which either leads to taking dies to  die or her getting found and patched up. My instinct that the we haven't seen the last of the ship captain she hired and he might come looking for her.

James 

It's hard to accept that it was really Arya because it was incredibly dumb for her to be wandering around the city without a care in the world or her sword when she knew full well that there would be a price to pay for fucking up another assignment. I want there to be some twist to it because I don't want her character to be so stupid. I don't think she's capable of slapping her face onto other people. I really doubt its Jaqen taking the fall for her. Can an adult man put on a small girl's face and suddenly have her body type? He's almost a foot taller than her. I imagine that's beyond the limits of Faceless Men face magic. The split personality theory is kind of silly, but it's better than her just being a reckless idiot.

I kept hoping Syrio Forel would pop up among the crowd she was stumbling through and save her. Sure, it would be lame fan service, but I don't care. Service me!