DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I'm beginning to agree with JT that the endgame of this story is the White Walkers obliterating everything.

Which is starting to make me uninvested in the show.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I honestly wasn't sure, did Bran somehow possess Hodor in two different times at once, or did Hodor himself warg into his future self and save Bran, sacrificing decades of his life for one moment of saving the world?

I do highly disagree that it was said too many times, i thought it built beautifully to the tragic end. Hold the door

Bran warg'ed Hodor future/past in stereo

Here's a penis and some balls.  2 seconds later, guys, we know you had to see that, so here's some titties.

Some goddam unnessecary nudity this week.

'The actor Kevon Eldon' is my Ned Stark.  British comedy legend!

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

To be fair, he was a stable boy and Westeros isn't exactly known for its upwards mobility. He would've been a servant that spoke more than one word.

Ser Duncan the Tall grew up a homeless beggar/ mugger in Flea Bottom and rose to be Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. And all he had to distinguish him from all the other poor boys was that he was seven feet tall... like Hodor (who is probably his illegitimate son; Ser Duncan's legitimate daughter almost certainly married Ser Selwyn Tarth, Brienne's Dad. He might be the Mountain and Hound's grandad too).

6 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

It will be interesting to see who Sir Friendzone runs into on his travels to find his cure.

"I'd like to become the first stone man politician. Y'see, I'd like to, but...I'm afraid..."

" I don't know what you're trying to say!"

"I'm saying... I'm saying I-I'm a stone man who dreamt he was a flesh man and loved it. But now the dream is over...and the stone man is awake.  I'm saying...I'll hurt you if you stay."

Your post made me go look him up and read the spoilers he dropped a few months ago.  It's kind of hilarious how out of touch he seemed with how fandom works nowadays that he thought he could say that much and somehow everyone wouldn't immediately know what he was talking about and wreck what was probably meant to be one of the big moments of the season.

That or he's just a goddamn scoundrel he delights in winding people up.

Either way it makes me like him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Here's a penis and some balls.  2 seconds later, guys, we know you had to see that, so here's some titties.

Some goddam unnessecary nudity this week.

'The actor Kevon Eldon' is my Ned Stark.  British comedy legend!

There was nothing unnecessary about fake Sansa's nudity. 

• Like 1

So, Euron wins the Kingsmoot, yet Yara  has the loyalty of the entire Iron Fleet,  so much so that they all leave without question with her at its command?  And somehow with the whole fleet leaving, there are enough men to build and man 1000 ships?

Do D&D even think about this shit anymore, or do they just write what seems cool?

• Like 2

It wasn't the whole fleet, just "the best ships."

Let's save our Greyjoy disappointment for Euron not having blue lips, a goddamn EYE PATCH, and a big ass horn that kills whoever blows it.

• Like 1

Well I was trying to avoid my displeasure at Sansa having yet another bout of plot induced stupidity by believing Littlefinger and pretty much going to get Brienne and Pod got.

And the likelyhood that Arya fucks up again.  

• Like 1

Yeah.  I'd like to think Arya's story is bigger than being a cog in this one cult and I'm hoping she outgrows it soon or finds it to be morally stifling.  She's more useful as a vengeful psychopath who believes in her own twisted code than as a devoted acolyte of someone elses.

I think Arya has learned all she needs from the faceless and it's time she learned a  thing or two about twisted codes from the best folk in the world.  Theater folk!

Although it was ominous when he said "One way or another a new face will be added to the wall."

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Halfway through the season and where is McShane? :)

This times x100.

I loved the episode apart from the fucking dog shit Kingsmoot, I'm legit mad at this, I might even copy paste the speeches from the books like I did with those Doran's amazing quotes™. Dog. Shit.

Even after watching the episode twice now I still don't get every detail of what actually happened during the Great Hodoring. Bran wargs into Wyllis in the past, thus being able to command Hodor in the future? Is that what happened? Or was Hodor conscious during the end?

Hodor's eyes weren't warged out when he was holding the door so I don't think he was being controlled. He was following Meera's instructions, not Bran's. Which makes the sacrifice more noble since it's choice, not being forced on him.

What seems to have happened is Warg Bran in the past somehow merged Kid Hodor with present Hodor and that ended up frying Kid Hodor's brain back in the day. Which I can identify with since Travel storylines make my head hurt.

I think the idea was that Bran accidentally merged past and future Hodor's minds, so that teen Hodor experienced his own death... which sort of left him in a semi-brain dead state for the rest of his life. Or he was somehow aware all of his life since that point that at some point he had to hold the door for Bran, and he was always waiting for that to happen, even before Bran was born.

The Kingsmoot in the show was terrible. Euron had nothing to show, there was no reason for anyone to vote for him. If he'd had the treasure like in the books, it would have made sense... or if Yara had made Asha's plea for the throne with the pinecones and rocks and doing the "It's shite being Ironborn, we're colonised by wankers" speech. But no.

On the other hand, I was watching CBG19's episode review and she used the term 'heel turn' in discussing future Daenerys storylines. Never knew she knew Wrestling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

I think the idea was that Bran accidentally merged past and future Hodor's minds, so that teen Hodor experienced his own death... which sort of left him in a semi-brain dead state for the rest of his life. Or he was somehow aware all of his life since that point that at some point he had to hold the door for Bran, and he was always waiting for that to happen, even before Bran was born.

The Kingsmoot in the show was terrible. Euron had nothing to show, there was no reason for anyone to vote for him. If he'd had the treasure like in the books, it would have made sense... or if Yara had made Asha's plea for the throne with the pinecones and rocks and doing the "It's shite being Ironborn, we're colonised by wankers" speech. But no.

On the other hand, I was watching CNG19's episode review and she used the term 'heel turn' in discussing future Daenerys storylines. Never knew she knew Wrestling.

I don't know the books but the show seems intent on making the Ironborn into keystone cops so the idea that the only argument that worked on them is "I HAVE A COCK AN' THEY DINT!" seems to fit in with that.  It would be nice if we see Yara do some serious badass stuff to underscore the point they are maybe trying to make but you know...the worst always win.

Hey Marcos, what's the Portuguese for "Hold the Door"? And did the dubbed version sound terrible because there's no real way to get to Hodor from that?

The French is "Tenir La Porte", which probably makes the French dubbers wish they'd known to call him Tenpo from the start. The German is "Halt die Tur" which actually works disappointingly well.

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Yeah.  I'd like to think Arya's story is bigger than being a cog in this one cult and I'm hoping she outgrows it soon or finds it to be morally stifling.  She's more useful as a vengeful psychopath who believes in her own twisted code than as a devoted acolyte of someone elses.

Yeah.  The Faceless Men used to seem to be kinda cool and different; but now they come off as just Unlikable Religious Cult #14 on a show which has been stuffed full of those.  And hey, in retrospect, if Jaqen H'ghar is such a goddamn superhuman who can accomplish seemingly anything, why the hell did he spend an entire season and a half as a prisoner?  Especially since he could have walked right out of Harrenhal at any time, he was teleporting all over that goddamn place like Jason Voorhees around Crystal Lake.  

And something was bugging me with the Bran/Hodor brainmelting, and I finally realized what it is: it's the exact thing that happened with the dad from Stephen King's Firestarter.  In that story, the father had an ability where he could mindfuck someone into doing whatever; but if he wasn't careful and laid the power on too thick, then it would drive that person insane.  

Yeah, Arya needs to get moving. Screw the faceless men.

I did love the shitty version of Ned's beheading.  The best part being that Arya had pretty much the same vantage point for Ned's actual beheading as she did for the play.