DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I thought tonight's episodes moved things forward quite nicely. It reintroduced Littlefinger. Sansa and Jon Snow were reunited plus we got the Pink Letter. Dany gets to be Queen of the Dothraki again and it feels like they are going to wrap up the High Sparrow stuff soon with the unholy Lannister-Martel alliance. I also liked that Davos finally questioned Mel about Shireen and how Brianne finally confirmed Stannis is dead so we can put that dog down for good. Nice ending with the Dany throwback to Season One. I really wish Tyrion was back in Westeros where he belonged and in the thick of the things instead of being this periphery character he has been for the last two seasons. I was bummed to see that Wildling chick die (forgot her name) but we knew that would happen as soon as she popped up last week. No complaints with how they handled anything this week. 

This was such an "everybody does that one thing they do" episode. Like a greatest hits clip show.

Littlefinger manipulated someone. Danearys burned some people. Tyrion negotiated some shit. Cersei planned some murder Jon whined and then gave in to duty Ramsay killed someone. Theon apologized to someone.

It's nice to see some of the distractions melt away and the central plot lines converge.  I half expected Sansa and Jon to just miss eachother and wander around for another season and Danearys to be captive for a nother three episodes and Jaime/Cersei to whine about enemies.

Enough digressions.  Go now!

• Like 2

Kind of weird how they cornered themselves having Davos ask about Shireen and then not get an answer and drop it.  Like, if he gets an answer he probably breaks Mellisandre's neck so why have him ask?

I also don't like how clearly they are telegraphing Tyrion fucking up.  He's so confident and ignoring the warnings of his underlings.  He's going to get burned hard.

Sadly I think the Tyrells are about to die. Never trust a Lannister.  I just hope they wipe out the High Sparrow in the process.

Super excited to see Jon and Sansa reunite and now lead the charge to Winterfell. It feels like we're getting closer and closer to everyone's end game.

25 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was great. But if basically just reset her to where she was four seasons ago, give or take. She needs to move forward hard now.

The difference, as pointed out in the post-show thing at the end of the episode is that she now has the entire Dothraki kneeling before her, not just one little group. 

14 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Kind of weird how they cornered themselves having Davos ask about Shireen and then not get an answer and drop it.  Like, if he gets an answer he probably breaks Mellisandre's neck so why have him ask?

I also don't like how clearly they are telegraphing Tyrion fucking up.  He's so confident and ignoring the warnings of his underlings.  He's going to get burned hard.

I don't think they have dropped it yet with Davos and Mel. These two have been in a tug of war battle for Stannis for so long, it has now shifted to Jon Snow. One of them is going to kill the other before the end. 

If Tyrion gets burned, it could always prove once and for all if he is one part of the three headed dragon :)

Just now, Buy Me a Burrito said:

I'm beginning to think that whatever battle is brewing in the North is going to be interrupted by a fuckton of ice zombies.

I think they are going to end the Bolton story arc first. The White Walkers and Others will cross the wall... but I think that is next season. 

Maybe, I just think that the North is becoming guilty of the stuff King's Landing is guilty of: being so wrapped up in the relatively small issues and ignoring the larger issues at hand, like the big fucking zombie army. 

Theres a war coming , and I think that it gets here this year. 

Man, watching Ramsey's "Shove him down your throat Main Event Push" makes me know how the Reigns haters feel now.  

Dany taking a level and getting pretty much all the Dothraki Hordes under her control is going to make Tyrion's inevitible fuck up in Mereen moot when she sweeps through and anihilates her enemies in Essos before shifting to do a run in on the Walkers next season.

After the preview for next week, I'm gonna start taking bets that Littlefinger doesn't make it through the season before Brienne makes him a foot shorter.

• Like 1

I want to know where Jon was going before Sansa showed up.  I guess it wasn't Winterfell. He didn't want to get anyone killed and he knew he didn't have enough man power for that mission. What's going on in his head right now..   Ramsay has forced his hand. They have to try to save Rickon at least. 

6 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

After the preview for next week, I'm gonna start taking bets that Littlefinger doesn't make it through the season before Brienne makes him a foot shorter.

I hope not.  I would hate for them to throw away the elegance of the idea that behind all the other main event players facing off in various ways is the deeper philosophical struggle between Varys and Littlefinger over the purpose of the game that I used to feel was slowly directing things.

Ultimately I think they are my two favorite characters on the show and I like the idea that everyone else is just the human avatars of their moral chess game.

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

I hope not.  I would hate for them to throw away the elegance of the idea that behind all the other main event players facing off in various ways is the deeper philosophical struggle between Varys and Littlefinger over the purpose of the game that I used to feel was slowly directing things.

Ultimately I think they are my two favorite characters on the show and I like the idea that everyone else is just the human avatars of their moral chess game.

I felt that was much more heavy handed and obvious direction the earlier seasons. It seems thats been no existent atleast for the second season now. Varys spent all last year with the Dragon Queen and didn't do much of anything. For that matter Tyrion has been largely wasted sitting around, drinking wine doing virtually nothing for the second year now. Littlefinger is seemed failed at virtually everything he tried to do last year especially in regards to Sansa Stark. 

I've never gotten the moral chess game and avatar feel as much as I've always just felt like this is Jon and Sansa's show. I'm glad Sansa is doing something finally. She's spent six seasons running away from virtually everyone. It was pretty damn cool seeing Sansa and Jon embrace since that is as close as we've come to Stark children seeing each other since the first season. I'm glad Arya wasn't in this episode. I really enjoyed her stuff with the Hound, her list, needle, etc the last two seasons have been pretty dull on that front. 

Also nobody seems to give a shit that they just battled an undead army. Jon's all like "well I'm leaving", the Wildings don't give a shit. I know its kind of the theme of the show that there is this ultimate, undead evil slowly marching its way towards civilization and no matter how many people find out about it they can't seem to stop worrying about war, and politics for even a moment to do anything about it. Still its crazy. 

I think they're trying to give the impression that everyone thinks the White Walker's can't pass the wall. Although really they should have had someone actually say that.

Tormund sure loves him some Brienne, eh?

About Ramsey's megapush: Pride comes before a fall. And he's got 2000 Wildlings marching South, plus the Knights of the Vale marching North to contned with. And the Knights of the Vale are the only army in Westeros that hasn't suffered any casualties at all since the show started, and hence are probably the strongest military force remaining (especially after what's about to happen to the Tyrell & Lannister forces when they try to fight the Faith Militant soon).

Did we miss a scene where Dany secretly soaked the entire floor with lighter fluid before the meeting?  She knocked over a couple of torches and suddenly the entire ground burst into flame.  

Also, I wonder what the Dothraki who couldn't see her in the doorway were thinking about everyone else.  "Uh, hey guys, why are we all kneeling?"  

• Like 1

The Ramsay megapush is having a Red Wedding effect on me.  As much as I want to see that mother fucker get got, there is no real douchebag heel of caliber to fill the vacuum so I kinda sorta don't want him to get his head lopped off just yet.  It will bum me out if he is killed too soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

And the Knights of the Vale are the only army in Westeros that hasn't suffered any casualties at all since the show started, and hence are probably the strongest military force remaining (especially after what's about to happen to the Tyrell & Lannister forces when they try to fight the Faith Militant soon).

The Faith Militant have no armor and fight with truncheons.  A few dozen armored soldiers would carve them up.  If you had Ramsey Snow's "20 good men" it would be over in a few minutes, but since we only have mortals at King's Landing it might take a couple of hours to have a heap of sparrows ready for the pyre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Ramsay megapush is having a Red Wedding effect on me.  As much as I want to see that mother fucker get got, there is no real douchebag heel of caliber to fill the vacuum so I kinda sorta don't want him to get his head lopped off just yet.  It will bum me out if he is killed too soon.

I kind of have the sense that he may meet his demise or become an even bigger villain by the penultimate episode or the finale. Judging by how this series has handled things in the past, I would guess episode 9 is where it comes to fruition in some way. Also, it will fulfill the Jon Snow, Winterfell in flames prophecy.

Speaking of which, the wife and I caught up on this over the weekend (with last night's episode, we watched the season 5 finale and all of this season to date), and I must say that I think last night was one of the better episodes this series has pieced together in such a long time.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that once Ramsey is dispatched, Cersei will take over as the head non-White Walker heel of the show. It reminds me of House of Cards in a way where once the season big bad is done away with do both Frank and Claire ascend to become the big bads of the series.