DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Olly would have grown up to be a cunt like Alistair.

Killing him now prevented future bullshit.

Thorne? You mean like helping defend Castle Black against this insane attack of crazy, blood thirsty cannibals and giants?

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Let's not act like the Nights Watch are all a bunch of boy scouts. About the only thing they weren't were cannibals. 

Which kinda...you know... is important since that's the group of people that tried to viciously attack them. Anyway, the Night's Watch is basically a glorified grown up version of the Boy Scouts anyway. So if one of those oaths is not to engage with women and one of their men is pussy whipped, that kinda does put them in an odd predicament. Without Ygritte and Jon's unstated bond with Tormund, there is no genesis for Thorne and company turning on Snow.

Actually the vows specify that one can't father children not really engage with women.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. 

Also I never understood why people hate Olly so much, he's a kid who had his family and friends butchered in front of him and then a giant bald freak said he's gonna eat his mommy and daddy.

That leaves some marks.

I would say taking a wife = engaging with women unless people are doing it quite differently now.

Also, people are expecting a lot of young boys. You're probably not going to get a bunch of rational decisions from someone that age, but to him, he had just cause for aiding in Jon's death. If he knew some crazy magic lady was going to bring Jon back, he probably would have not done it.

I will choose to remember the fun times like when he did the late 80s/early 90s action movie trope of winking/nodding after saving the main protagonist's life in the nick of time. 

• Like 1

The whole taking wives is more related to not having messy heritage issues/external pressures from family squables that could lead into serious issues for The Watch, not really about having sex.

Most of the dudes in The Watch go whoring about in Mole's Town (a close village where we saw Gilly some seasons back) or even other places (brothers that go around Westeros recruiting dudes, like the dude that saved Arya way back when in King's Landing).

7 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

The whole taking wives is more related to not having messy heritage issues/external pressures from family squables that could lead into serious issues for The Watch, not really about having sex.

Most of the dudes in The Watch go whoring about in Mole's Town (a close village where we saw Gilly some seasons back) or even other places (brothers that go around Westeros recruiting dudes, like the dude that saved Arya way back when in King's Landing).

I am using the all encompassing thing.

Either way the show has depicted a woman like Hilly not exactly being safe in the hands of the Night's Watch. 

I'm pretty positive the lingering shot on Olly's building face as he died, and the look of revulsion Jon had in response, was meant to be upsetting and undercut the "yay justice" feel of the scene.

If it worked or not is more ymmv

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Let's not act like the Nights Watch are all a bunch of boy scouts. About the only thing they weren't were cannibals. 

Actually Thorne confessed to having to eat people during Season 1.

It was a veteran's ghost story for soft recruits Jon Snow and Sam Tarly, and it was clearly necessity rather than choice, but yeah, it happened.

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Olly reminds me of someone who would say "A Puerto Rican man killed my brother" and then goes on to hate all Puerto Ricans. Olly hated all Wildlings. They aren't all bad.

The vast majority of Puerto Ricans would never kill anybody.  Is there a significant contingent of Wildlings that is/was morally opposed to raiding/pillaging/murdering villagers and farmers?

30 minutes ago, tigertooth said:

The vast majority of Puerto Ricans would never kill anybody.  Is there a significant contingent of Wildlings that is/was morally opposed to raiding/pillaging/murdering villagers and farmers?

Yeah, the entire Wildling culture, as well as the Ironborn for that matter, is based on raiding, pillaging, etc.  They live north of The Wall where nothing grows, game is scarce, and life is hard.  They'd literally die off if they stopped raiding and pillaging.  

• Like 1

Jon Snow in the office of Knight Commander of the Black Watch wants to normalize relations with the Wildlings and somehow the people that react to his treason by stabbing him to death some how end up being the antagonists in this story.

But it is Jon so I guess that makes it okay.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Jon Snow in the office of Knight Commander of the Black Watch wants to normalize relations with the Wildlings and somehow the people that react to his treason by stabbing him to death some how end up being the antagonists in this story.

But it is Jon so I guess that makes it okay.

Jon Snow recognizes that the job of The Night's Watch is to protect the realms of men from the Others.  The Wildlings are men, and his job is to protect them as much as it is to protect the citizens of Westeros.  The Wildlings aren't good people, but they are people none the less.  He knows what the job is, the other Black Brothers do not.  They Watch cannot beat the Others without the WIldlings, they just don't have the manpower.  With the Wildlings, they at least have a fighting chance.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Jon Snow recognizes that the job of The Night's Watch is to protect the realms of men from the Others.  The Wildlings are men, and his job is to protect them as much as it is to protect the citizens of Westeros.  The Wildlings aren't good people, but they are people none the less.  He knows what the job is, the other Black Brothers do not.  They Watch cannot beat the Others without the WIldlings, they just don't have the manpower.  With the Wildlings, they at least have a fighting chance.  

In the event of a full on invasion, the Wildiings will be among the first ones in the path of the lance, so they will end up acting in Westeros's defense whether they want to or not. 

Jon was not obligated to offers the Wildlings any sort of formal alliance or goodwill.  He could just allow them to be the speed bump that slows the Others's southern advance.

Either way, the Watch is screwed as the Night King will just use the fallen to add to the size of his army.  It just so happens from the television events standpoint that fostering goodwill was a wise move, as Jon doesn't need Wildling aid so much to defend against the Walkers as he needs their help to fend off Ramsay's army.

4 hours ago, tigertooth said:

How about the woman we met in S5 E8 who just wanted a better life for her children. Olly would have wanted those kids to starve.