DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Not a fan of Red Dwarf, then?

Exception to the rule and I love Red Dwarf and the inspired casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect in the HGttG movie.

18 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Said to my wife during this ep that I would be more interested in a show all about the Dothraki at this point. I want to see the rise of Khal Drogo, the politics of the central plains, the interactions of people from different khalasars...

Dany has only gone down hill in terms of interest since Drogo died. Their relationship moving from one of domination and manipulation into a genuine love and respect for each other as an equal was fantastic. Now she is just a helpless little girl (who also happens to be queen of an entire nation) stomping her feet and saying; "But I waaaaant iiiiitt!". If she ends up on the Iron Throne.....

I think somehow Sansa's going to end up on the Iron Throne. The red-headed (fire) Stark (ice) princess seems like her getting to the Iron Throne is the payoff for seeing her father beheaded, dealing with Joffery AND Ramsey. Of course I say this and they'll kill her off the weekend X-Men: Apocalypse is released

Don't be silly. After White Walker Jon Snow leads the army of the dead against Dany and her dragons and everything is destroyed Tyrion Lannister will ascend the throne as "the Imp King". Granted, there won't be much left to rule over, but the wine cellars will probably be untouched.

• Like 1

Should someone really decisively win the Iron Throne at the end of this?  Isn't the Iron Throne and having a king upon it part of the problem with Westeros?  Shouldn't the ultimate resolution be, free folk and representative government?  Like Westeros goes to a place where the powers are equally balanced, and there's no king on the Iron Throne anymore to fuck everyone up?  I feel like the whole system has to burn down and just be destroyed since it brings nothing but war, pain, suffering and anguish.  You have to rid Westeros of people like Petyr Baelish.

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Should someone really decisively win the Iron Throne at the end of this?  Isn't the Iron Throne and having a king upon it part of the problem with Westeros?  Shouldn't the ultimate resolution be, free folk and representative government?  Like Westeros goes to a place where the powers are equally balanced, and there's no king on the Iron Throne anymore to fuck everyone up?  I feel like the whole system has to burn down and just be destroyed since it brings nothing but war, pain, suffering and anguish.  You have to rid Westeros of people like Petyr Baelish.

The throne is not the issue, the fact that there are 7 Kingdoms full of treacherous, back stabbing, power hungry, assholes is the issue.  If there was no such thing as an Iron Throne, these assholes would fight over something else.  Does anyone have a friend who loves to fight?  You know that one guy who has been in multiple fights as an adult.  Somehow every time he goes out someone "provokes" him to punch them in the face, but somehow no one ever provokes you or any of the rest of your friends to fight.  Westeros is an entire continent full of those people.  

• Like 1

There's one big problem with White Walkers being the super-dominant heel force to rule the land forevermore.  Simply put, can they even exist in warm climates?  It seems like they need winter weather to operate, and couldn't infest the southern lands during the long summer years.  

Of course, that's ignoring the fact that Westeros's version of winter has never made any damn sense at all.  Aside from being physically improbable from an astronomy standpoint (which you could technically explain with "well, this world has magic, so... shit happens"), the books never make it clear exactly how human beings are supposed to be able to survive living in such a frozen wasteland for years on end.  I don't care how much food they store away during the summer times, they could never preserve enough supplies to make it through that long a winter.  Especially since the very beginning of the season has already brung such vicious snowstorms to Winterfell that the snowdrifts are literally ten or twenty feet deep outside the castle.  Presumably it would get even worse over time.  How could people live like that, buried under mountains of snow for years on end with all the plants dead and probably all the animals soon following suit?  Even in severe northern cultures from the Vikings to the Eskimos to the various people who've lived in Siberia, they never survived anywhere that STAYED frozen all year long.  Even in Antarctica, you only get indigenous animal life on the outer coast, where fauna have mostly adapted to live off whatever they can fish out of the ocean.  Further inland, where it stays appropriately Beyond-The-Wall-ish on a permanent basis, there's pretty much no life whatsoever.  

I think the astrological fan theory for the irregular seasons lasting years was that it has two suns, and the planet orbits both in a figure eight direction, so you never know which hemisphere is going to be tilted towards the nearest sun at any time. No character has ever mentioned that they have two suns. But nobody has mentioned they have two either. We don't even know if they have a moon or not. But GRRM has said the seasons are the way they are because of magic, not astrology.

The Riverlands and the bits south of them aren't actually that cold in Winter... they get snow, but it melts after a few days. It's only the North and the Lands beyond the wall that get snow for years. It has never snowed in Dorne. And at the start of the story, it's noted that in the last 20, 30 years, the winters have been short and mild and the summers long (which has led to overpopulation in the North; They've been able to feed more mouths than they usually would... although the Red Wedding took care of a big chunk of that problem. I don't think the show made clear that tens of thousands of Northerners died with their King).

The White Walkers bring the cold with them.   That's made explicit in the books, maybe not the show so much.  If they went to Dorne there would be snow and ice aplenty in Dorne.

They do have a moon, Dany's handmaidens tell the old myth that there were once two moons and one broke open and dragons came out of it.

As to the North they have "glass gardens" aka green houses where they grow food even in winter.  Many people do die in the winter especially the elderly and children.

Listen. Snow zombies resurrecting the dead and massacring frontier settlements is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses; not from some horrible icy genocide. You can't expect to wield supreme power just ‘cause some popsicle with arms tried to tear your head off. I mean, if I went around saying I was a king just because some frostbitten weirdo had lobbed a snowball at me, they'd put me away!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

I thought "They bring the Cold with them or They come after the Cold" mystery was still up in the air.

It is unclear, and possibly a bit of both.

GRRM has supposedly hinted/confessed that the exaggerated summers and winters of his world have a supernatural basis and that we'll eventually get the answer to that "why?" as well.

As far as the show, remember that during last season's Hardhome episode, the WW that Jon eventually killed walked into that burning house where Jon and the Thenn were looking for the Dragonglass, and as the Walker advanced towards them, the flames peeled back and went out.

So yes, the Dornish might need to invest in wool caps, scarves, and thick overcoats soon, after all. :)

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Guys can we stop fighting about whether Westerosian climate change is caused by the actions of White Walkers or is a natural process and just focus on creating Valeryan ore fracking jobs.

Expansion of Qyburncare is more important, I think.

• Like 3

WOOOOOO

It's amazing that they still didn't really let you know if it was Ghost or Mel.

Roose going down shocked the hell out of me.  O yeah... and GREYJOYS! AHHH!

Jamie confessing his sins with his hand on a dagger was a pretty bad ass scene as well. So many possibilities with Jamie going off book.