DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

One of my friends really hates how TV Stannis is so inferior to book Stannis.

Yeah, book Stannis is solid as a fucking rock as a man.  If Stannis was your boss, you'd hate him, but you'd respect the shit out of him.  He'd be super demanding, might try to embarrass you in front of your coworkers, and generally be unlikable, but he'd also be overwhelmingly fair.  Not only that, he's someone who would shoot for the moon with every one of his goals, but you'd never feel like he was in over his head.  TV Stannis is a simp, and I fully understand why so many of his people seem to second guess everything he says and does.  He's not just different, he's different in all the ways that made him interesting in the books.  Stannis is a fun book character, because he's everything you want a leader to be, other than the fact that you don't want him as a leader.  You feel like you're in good hands with Stannis, but you also feel like eventually you are going to march into a fight you just can't win.  TV Stannis is booty blinded, and everyone around him knows it.  His men don't respect him, because they know that if Melissandre is who is really in charge.  In the books, it isn't specifically stated that Stannis has slept with Melissandre though you do suspect it.  At no point do you believe that her influence is greater than Stannis' influence when it comes to matters of war.  She's his most trusted advisor and is the reason most of his army follows him, but we know Stannis makes every final decision.

• Like 1

Yeah, because Bastard Snow greased up 20 unseen nameless ninjas with plot armor an inch thick and wiped out the True King's food, horses, and siege engines.   The whole prospect of being able to pull that off completely undetected is so ridiculous it would make a suitable episode of "Archer".  Samwell Tarley staying fat at the wall is less unbelievable.

18 hours ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, book Stannis is solid as a fucking rock as a man.  If Stannis was your boss, you'd hate him, but you'd respect the shit out of him.  He'd be super demanding, might try to embarrass you in front of your coworkers, and generally be unlikable, but he'd also be overwhelmingly fair.

"Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine. I offer these same men cool, clear water and they sniff at it suspiciously and mutter to one another about how queer it tastes"- Stannis Baratheon.

• Like 1

It sounds like Robert's more likable among the rabble because he likes to drink and whore around.  He likes to hang out and be a bro after his battles.  Robert wants to be one of the dudes and make the eight in the Riverlands.  That's probably why men liked Robert more.

• 2 weeks later...

Man... i was ok with some of the scenes. I thought Brienne saving Sansa was appropriate. I thought the Dorne rebellion was bloody enough for my enjoyment. Everything else was just catching us up on characters but nothing was very compelling. 

Then that last scene was just... 

Yeah, I think with the exception of Brienne finally catching up with Sansa and the business in Dorne, this episode felt more like an epilogue to last season than the kickoff to a new one.

I bet the hardcore book readers are going to lose their shit over Areo Hotah (you non-readers know him better as Um, Who's That Again?) getting got like he did.

I enjoyed it. I actually thought they were going to have Brienne go out exactly how dumbass Trystane got got, but it didn't happen and then later on Trystane turned his back on a fucking sand snake. Isn't there usually a lot of exposition in the first episode?

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

What went down in Dorne was definitely not his idea.

Other than names and a few plot points, nothing of TV Dorne seems to match where he's gone and where he's going there. 

Plus, I was just getting used to having Alexander Siddig on my TV again... :(

• Like 1

Am I the only one that thought the ending was cool?  It revealed that yes she is a witch and has been around for centuries, we thought that may be true and on the inside the episode thing they say that she's tired and second guessing herself, hasn't yet figured out where she goes from here...   but it also shows off her power some which we haven't seen in a while. How she uses her power in future episodes is a pretty big deal.

The Internet, as it will, has already caught one continuity error with the choker, as there's a scene in episode 4.7 between Melisandre and Selyse where she's naked in the tub NOT wearing the choker and, you know, doesn't look like the lady in Room 237.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are we supposed to believe the choker is what gives her power or can she do it on her own?

We have to believe that the choker gives her power or that she has really shitty taste in accessories. YMMV.

Well, up to this point they've managed to have it where even if one or two storylines in an episode are tablesetting, at least some of the others will be feasting at the table they set earlier, and others will be cleaning up after the meal. But now they're having to come up with stuff themselves, they're kind of falling into more of a trope TV writing style.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000654646/season-6-game-of-thrones-mock-draft