DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

They've oddly stretched out Arya's storyline; she's the only main character who still has more not-covered-yet material in the last book. With practically everyone else, the show has caught up with the events of the last book; or even charged ahead into uncharted waters, in a few eyebrow-raising examples. (Without getting near any spoilery specifics, let's just say that the entire Stannis/Ramsey/Sansa/Theon/Brienne section of the plot does NOT even REMOTELY resemble what's going on in the novel.) But for whatever reason, they've put the brakes on Arya, leaving her current storyline lagging way behind almost everything else. Maybe they're leaving some room for next season, in case they need to double-down on Arya scenes in order to fill time while GRRMartin painfully tortoises his way through the next book?

The writers pretty much explicitly came out and said that the whole Shireen thing was because "well that's what GRR Martin told us is going to happen" which I think is not only pretty cowardly, it's also a shitty thing to do to the book readers who have been really good about not spoiling their TV show.

- I've been confused by the Arya storyline all season long. She makes best friends with the master of disguise, and he blows her off and treats her like nothing. It's like Arya got friendzoned. I thought Arya's clam salesman thing was actually presented as a dream until the last ep. I figured she was making up a story to become "no one". Guess I'm wrong. Is Arya dead or not? I don't know. I understand that some of the magic in storytelling is not spilling all of the beans, but I didn't get it at all.

Arya is a mark.

They are trying to smarten her up to the business.

Jaqen is just a gimmick.  To them, all faces, all names, all identities, are just gimmicks to take on and off.  The guy from season 5 is not the same guy she met back in season 2; they're just using the same face at these respective times to keep things simple for her...and/or perhaps to ultimately drive home this lesson when they "kill" the Jaqen gimmick right before her eyes.  They are all really "No One"; i.e. blank slates that have no "true" personality that might interfere with the work, as happens to Arya.  She passes her first test by convincing that girl to drink from the fountain:  i.e. she can keep kayfabe and protect the business.  She fails the next one -- work the insurance shark -- because she still has a "someone" (Arya Stark) who interferes with living her Clam Cart Girl gimmick.  She goes into business for herself and shoots on Meryn Trant.

She still believes gimmicks like Jaqen are real, thus she can't treat her Arya Stark identity like just another gimmick, so she's not No One and not ready to be No One yet. 

• Like 2

They are in a very difficult position though.  If someone is asking you why you chose to handle Shireen like that (and remember a lot of people lost their shit), I don't know what else they could have done but say "hey, we are loyal to Martin's major plot points"

Kit Harington at Wimbledon, with his new short haircut that he can have now he's not playing Jon Snow any more.

80426.jpg

- I've been confused by the Arya storyline all season long. She makes best friends with the master of disguise, and he blows her off and treats her like nothing. It's like Arya got friendzoned. I thought Arya's clam salesman thing was actually presented as a dream until the last ep. I figured she was making up a story to become "no one". Guess I'm wrong. Is Arya dead or not? I don't know. I understand that some of the magic in storytelling is not spilling all of the beans, but I didn't get it at all.

Arya is a mark.

They are trying to smarten her up to the business.

Jaqen is just a gimmick.  To them, all faces, all names, all identities, are just gimmicks to take on and off.  The guy from season 5 is not the same guy she met back in season 2; they're just using the same face at these respective times to keep things simple for her...and/or perhaps to ultimately drive home this lesson when they "kill" the Jaqen gimmick right before her eyes.  They are all really "No One"; i.e. blank slates that have no "true" personality that might interfere with the work, as happens to Arya.  She passes her first test by convincing that girl to drink from the fountain:  i.e. she can keep kayfabe and protect the business.  She fails the next one -- work the insurance shark -- because she still has a "someone" (Arya Stark) who interferes with living her Clam Cart Girl gimmick.  She goes into business for herself and shoots on Meryn Trant.

She still believes gimmicks like Jaqen are real, thus she can't treat her Arya Stark identity like just another gimmick, so she's not No One and not ready to be No One yet. 

:wub::lol::D B)

• 2 weeks later...