DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Heel Sansa is already epic. Great timing for this episode to come out same weekend as Malificent.

I imagine she has inherited all the worst traits from Cersei, Margaery, and Shae. Vindictive, smarmy Sansa is going to be great.

Theon is going to kill Ramsay so hard.

Besides Grey Worm trying to learn how to be literate and get some strange at the same time, As the City of Mereen Turns is just a desperate time filler for this season. I want to see Brienne and Pod the Bod go on more brunch dates.

• Like 2

I had legit nightmares and fucking flashback ptsd today because of Oberdudes death. I used to work at a cell phone store and some asshole showed us a beheading video from Iraq and it was the same hollow feeling.

Except that dude actually died, fucking stupid Game of Thrones.

Anyway I hope Stannis and Davos bring Jorah aboard. He was ace.

• Like 2

Sansa FINALLY playing the game is a pure babyface move!  She might have been the episode MVP.  LIttlefinger's boner smile was super creepy though.  Fucking Carcetti, man.

This might be a top 3 episode.  The Viper/Mountain fight was the moment in the story where I was all "FUCK THESE BOOKS!"  It's kind of great that they have been able to capture the same feeling in the show.  That was a draining final few minutes.  

I absolutely loved the beetle scene.

There is literally no one in that world other than Jaime, on any side of any battle, that doesn't want Tyrion dead.  It's astounding.  Even Tywin's enemies would be happy enough to see him dead.

With the possible exception of the most mysterious force in the entire show:

Varys.  Got to be Varys.  No way he goes an entire season without doing anything while his chief rival runs the table.

I see what you're saying with the last sentence, but what does Varys get out of saving Tyrion?

And isn't it possible that the Stannis crew would find value in capturing Tyrion?

Side note: Looks like Brienne is going to be in the next Star Wars movie.

Well they have hinted that Varys' true goal is something to do with stability and morality...at least some form of it.  I think maybe he's had his eye on Tyrion for awhile and might tip his hand now that he's cornered.

I don't think a more depressing, draining, hopeless episode of television has ever been created. As others have already mentioned, none of the worst moments previously left me feeling anything like that. And it wasn't even just the ending, although that obviously plays the biggest part. But from beginning to end, almost every scene made you look the reality of death in the face and the most awful nature of humankind with no apologies and almost no chances to feel good about anything.

If the Hound really dies from an infection then I don't even know. I think this is all so much more depressing because we were all just having the light hearted battle royal conversation considering all the biggest bad asses in Westeros and beyond. We're pro wrestling fans, the larger than life, who would win dream matchup aspect of a show like this is obviously a big part of what captures our imagination. And the creators know we've had images of simulated battles dancing in our heads for the past few weeks as we wait... only so they could just crush us, and make us come to terms with the fact that it doesn't matter which one of the 4 most dangerous men in the world you might be, you'll still die all the same, quite possibly screaming, pleading and terrified. Or maybe just from a dumb god damn infection because you're too scared of fire to sanitize a wound properly.

The funny thing is, I watched the episode tonight with the specific intention to wind down and go to bed right after. Ha yeah right fuck my life.

Clownshoe Theon 

In the books, he's only got six toes left (and seven fingers, and very few teeth) at his point. The show is letting him off easy.

I mean...once the dick gets cut off..what's a toe or a finger, you know?

I can't wait until this show is over, I really want to read the Pop Culture Philosophy book. I bet it's pretty good.

My wife's reaction was great.  She was way into Oberyn and convinced he was going to win.  She was actually kind of gloating, and then when the leg was swept and he hit the ground she went full Rainman-in-an-airport and put her hands over her ears and went

"wait...no no no no no NO NO NUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNOOOOOOOO"

As an experiment,  I've watched the final moments of this weeks episode, from the SWEEP THE LEG to the Credits, 10 times.

Not only is it starting to become less painful. I'm starting to chuckle a little bit. 

As an experiment,  I've watched the final moments of this weeks episode, from the SWEEP THE LEG to the Credits, 10 times.

Not only is it starting to become less painful. I'm starting to chuckle a little bit. 

You're a monster.

• Like 1

You're a monster.

I wish I was the monster  you think I am.

• Like 2

Way to focus on the negative guys, Missandei a.k.a. Ms. Caramel Perfection made everything that followed matter so much less.  OK, now that my acknowedgement of my shameful lust is out of the way, I'll give you my thoughts on the episode.

The Theon/Ramsey/Roose scenes were spot on for characterization for Theon and Ramsey, but missed the mark when it comes to Roose.  Roose can't possibly believe that he controls the North.  The show has done a fairly poor job decribing the North, their people, and their love for all things Stark.  They point out the fact that The North is the largest of the 7 kingdoms by far, but they fail to point out that it isn't by accident.  The Starks have ruled for several millenia.  They descended from Bran the Builder, the man who is credited for building Winterfell, Storm's End(The Baratheon Family Castle), and The Wall.  Most of the northern houses are ethnically First Men, who were the first humans in Westeros and a lot of the North have a level of disdain for the traditions of the southern houses that are ethnically Andals.(I know all of these people look like they could be cousins, but suspend disbelief enough to accept that ethnically they are different).  They follow the Old Gods, and are generally just tough, hardy people who are much more straight forward with how they think and feel, than their southern counterparts. 

OK, so how does this apply to The Bolton's who are also from The North?  Like I said above, the Starks of Winterfell ruled for thousands of years, but that doesn't mean that they have ruled uncontested for the entire time.  One Northern house seemed to always have some sort of nit to pick with the Starks of Winterfell, and as you may guess it was the Boltons.  The Boltons are like that one neighbor that calls the cops on a New Year's Eve party at 10 o'clock, every year for thousands of years.  Their flayed man sigil, is basically a middle finger for the rest of the Northern lords because it comes directly from  their house tradition of hanging the flayed skins of their enemies(who have been enemies with basically every Northern house at some point) from the walls of the Dreadfort.  They finally came to heel 1,000 years before the start of the series, and plenty of the Northern houses still hate their guts because of their tendency to be both cruel and cunning, and Northerners don't really take kindly to cunning.

So we are supposed to believe that Roose, who is a lot of things but dumb ain't one of them, believes that the rest of the Northern lords are just going to accept him without question?  Roose Bolton essentially took over a pirate ship with a crew that was 100% behind the captain he just threw overboard.  He knows these people like those other guys better than him, so now that he has the power that his family spent thousands of years fighting for, how does he keep it. 

The fight was everything a reader like me dreamt it would be on the TV show, but the lead up was a little off.  If there is one thing that is true throughout the world of Ice and Fire is that a fighter of reknown is known to just about everyone.  Brienne was kind of a surprise because she is a woman and women aren't usually allowed to fight, but there is no one who should be surprised that the fighting skills of a Prince of Dorne would be a mystery to anyone.  Jaime is probably the #1 authority of who is and isn't a capable fighter in Westeros, his entire identity is based on who he is as a fighter in comparison to the rest of the world.  When Tyrion asked Jaime if Oberyn could win, the answer should have been, at least it's possible.  The Mountain was the favorite based on everything known about the two of them, but for Jaime not to know how good of a fighter Oberyn is just doesn't really fit the world or the character.  Oberyn is called the Red Viper of Dorne, and no one in Westeros gets a nickname they didn't earn for good or bad.  He is known as a deadly warrior the world around, and for Jaime not to know if he could possibly win seems inconceivable.  Other than that minor nit pick, the fight was awesome. 

Pedro Pascal's performance as Oberyn Martell was outstanding from start to finish.  The escalation of his pleas with The Mountain to admit that he killed and raped his sister are much more emotional on the show than in the books.  It is so much more emotional to see him screaming at Gregor than it was to read it.  It is one of the biggest advantages the TV show has over the books. 

Oberyn is a character that was really only around for less than a 1/4 of a book/season, yet he is one of the single most beloved characters in the entire series.  Did he even have 10 scenes the entire season?  Of all of the characters in the book/show, his run is probably the best written.  I was taught that good writing is clear, concise, and complete and I don't know if there is anyone else in the series that personifies those traits more.  He came in with a clear purpose, to avenge the death of his sister and her children.  Everything he did lead to the moment of him confronting the Mountain.  His death came directly from his blind rage when the moment to get revenge on his sister's killer finally came. 

• Like 2

I'm kind of proud of the show for how unexpected Oberyn's death seemed to people.  I'm usually pretty good at spotting characters who are only there to fill some time, drop a plot point or two, and die and I definitely saw that in Oberyn when he first showed up.  The way they put him over the jobber Lannisters in his first match seemed like building him up just to job him to a star later. 

But somehow they lulled me out of that.  It wasn't him having a deep backstory or a quest.  That doesn't mean shit on this show...and he actually got closer to closing out his quest than like any other character.

It was maybe how he started fitting into future plans.  That was a nice bit of misdirection coupled with the fact that his presence seemed to open lots of interesting doors.  He certainly seemed more valuable to the narrative long-term than The Mountain.  So, yeah, they got us and that's not nothing in an era when fans of everything are so smarky and tv tropy.

• Like 1

But somehow they lulled me out of that.  It wasn't him having a deep backstory or a quest.  That doesn't mean shit on this show...

Nothing could be further from the truth, the past means more in this series than probably any other piece of fiction I've ever encountered.  Every single thing that has happened on this show is based on something that happened before the story started.  Robert was king because Rhaegar Targaryen ran off with Ned's sister.  Tywin is a meglomaniac because his father was a bitch.  Tyrion is hated because his mother died birthing him.  Dany is queen because some dude who was fucking his sisters flew a dragon to another continent and took shit over.  The Night's Watch is so damn old they forgot thier purpose until some dead guy showed up for the first time in thousands of years.  By the end of this I suspect that if you don't pay attention to all of their little history lessons you aren't going to realize how any of it makes sense.  I've found that everything that they say is said for a reason, and sometimes the wording is more important than the actual meaning...or at least that is what dorky book readers say to speculate the end of all of this.

I didn't mean it's not important to the narrative.  What I meant was that, in most films, stories, whatever, the deeper the backstory an individual character is given, the more likely that character is to stay around a long time.  The deeper the backstory, the stronger the motivation toward the denouement that the backstory sets in motion, and once that is present, the character is "safe" until they fulfill it.  Background depth is usually a measure of centrality to the story and therefore longevity.

On this show, characters are given deep and seemingly symbolically important backstories, only to be killed off quickly.  Probably less so on the show than in the books where I hear characters are sometimes given long wandering backgrounds and then, like, instantly killed, but still enough that we are left without that predictable measure of a character's importance.  So I just meant that Oberyn having a deep backstory wouldn't necessarily convince anyone that he wasn't going to die quickly.

Oh, well nevermind then.  When I read the books, I thought he was going to be in it for the long haul, until all of a sudden he wasn't.  The Mountain was basically built up as the monster heel of Westeros(the show didn't really do the overall level of menace surrounding him any justice) and Oberyn was the hot babyface coming up to save Westeros from the big bad Mountain.  He really was everything you wanted in a hero at that point and then gone, and it was simultaneously great and terrible.