DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Finally saw this! I was so screwed this past weekend with so much awesome wrestling. Anyway, The Hound was fucking boss hog in that shit. I'm loving this mixed tag.

I can't believe no cable show has booked The hound and Bronn to have a "best use of the word cunt off."

Unfortunately, negotiations have hit a snag over trying to get both the FCC and the FDA to approve the "Roast Chicken On A Pole" stipulation

Basically they are basically a well trained, well equipped, army that will die for their Magnar without question...and now they're eating people.

Am I interpreting this correctly that this wasn't the case in the books? If so that is an odd detail to change. Or are you just saying that up until this point in time the Thenns had not been cannibals previously in the books?

Basically they are basically a well trained, well equipped, army that will die for their Magnar without question...and now they're eating people.

Am I interpreting this correctly that this wasn't the case in the books? If so that is an odd detail to change. Or are you just saying that up until this point in time the Thenns had not been cannibals previously in the books?

I don't remember them being cannibals in the books, but if I forgot a detail about a group of about 78 different Wildling groups I wouldn't be surprised.  They have changed a good bit of stuff from the books, like Jaime isn't in King's Landing yet and Arya killed a different guy in the inn.  So I'm not 100% sure whether or not they were actually cannibals or if they are just combining their traits with a couple other groups.  I think the show is going to get further and further away from the books from here, but I was just trying to provide a little bit of background on how the new people relate to the rest of the existing cast. 

Is it safe to assume that the further we get into the series the more and more the story will go in its own direction and not necessarily Martin's creation? Obviously, I will probably never get around to reading the books but it sounds like there's been certain changes, I guess changes that don't really affect how each story arc will end but..

The show is pretty different already, there would be no way to make a coherent show with all the characters from the books.  Some characters are expanded, some are combined with others and some are just removed altogether.  We probably have seen twice as much Bronn than is in the books, but the actor is so good there is no reason not to give him something to do.  The book is told from points of view, so there are some people we know all of their motivations, like Jon, Dany, and Arya, but their are some that we only have second hand knowledge of like Robb, Littlefinger or Joffrey.  There are also some characters that just aren't around that much, or are gone from books at a time.  Everything that happened to Theon last season was not in the books at all, everything from that period is told through Theon's memories and you can't really do that on TV.  There are also a lot of prophesy, rumor, and unreliable narration that just wouldn't work on TV.  TV and books are such different mediums with such different story telling tools that even though the story is basically the same the show and the books are there own things. 

My favorite thing about how the show relates to the books is how much more we know about some of the characters.  Robb Stark is essentially absent for 70% of his life in the books.  Everything we know about him is from Catelyn, Bran, Tyrion or Arya's perspective.  Catelyn does not travel around with Robb like on the show,.  She is at Riverrun with her dying father for a good long while, but she does get ravens updating the progress of the army.  When her father dies, that is when we learn he is married, all those Oona Chaplin scenes were made up, she isn't even at the Red Wedding.  Bran, gets some updates from Maester Luwin, but how much do you really tell a seven-year-old about war.  Arya overhears some things at Harrenhall, but she only gets bits and pieces.  Show Robb isn't really a different character, but he is much more fleshed out on the show.  On the show we get to see why he does what he does and it makes you appreciate him on a different level.

• Like 1

Sounds like the show is superior and I'm in the correct thread. :)

You say that, but they cut a character who is basically Abdullah the Butcher, except he isn't a pro wrestler he is a former gladiator who killed so many people they set him free. 

• Like 1

He was biting all kinds of HBO legends last week. There was that, and the bit where he tells Polliver he has a cunt mouth was eerily similar to Wild Bill telling Jack McCall the same on DEADWOOD.

I know this show doesn't like to give us catharsis, but letting Joffrey's death be just slow and agonizing enough and letting us watch his eyes scream out in pain and fear as his stupid fucking face shrivelled up and collapsed in on itself while his throat and chest and stomach boiled...

...thank you, t.v. show.  Thank you for not withholding that from me.

This got spoiled by a YouTube comment I saw last week, but it was totally worth it. I believe House Tyrell is running a life insurance scam all throughout Westeros because Margaery's husbands tend to expire very quickly.

Well... pay attention to right before Tyrion takes the wine cup, look whose face is focused on and you know who is responsible though that person is part of a much large scheme

James