DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

57 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So, we're gonna find out of one can fail to stick a landing on a prequel then, are we?

GoT stuck the landing so hard that it was ridiculous.

Evil undead horde defeated, two psychotic noble bloodlines severed, world weary ruler with oracle powers and wise beyond his years sitting on the throne and advised by more than adequate council, peace in the North and relative peace everywhere else, invading army placated by the exile of a hero, badass assassin wanders the world like Caine from Kung Fu...

Talk about being tied up with the prettiest bow as could be expected.  I think that it was the best of all possible outcomes.  

I think that the reason that the series finale was met with so much venom is that it was the best of all possible outcomes.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think that the reason that the series finale was met with so much venom is that it was the best of all possible outcomes.

Pretty sure it had more to do with how things ended for a certain Mother of Dragons.

I wonder, if someone just watched the show but didn't watch the Inside The Episode shit, they might think it's less bad. But seeing inside what the writers were thinking really made it clear what complete idiots they were.

Dany just kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet and all that.

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

Evil undead horde defeated, two psychotic noble bloodlines severed, world weary ruler with oracle powers and wise beyond his years sitting on the throne and advised by more than adequate council, peace in the North and relative peace everywhere else, invading army placated by the exile of a hero, badass assassin wanders the world like Caine from Kung Fu...

Talk about being tied up with the prettiest bow as could be expected.  I think that it was the best of all possible outcomes.  

My problem had nothing to do with any of this, but had everything to do with what led up to this.  

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 3:30 AM, Eivion said:

Pretty sure it had more to do with how things ended for a certain Mother of Dragons.

You mean from the folks who were in denial about Dany being batshit insane? 

I am in the camp that is bummed about Jon not being king but after he did the right thing and kept yet another tyrannical Targaryen from ascending to the Iron Throne, banishment was the only sensible solution to the problem of preventing the Unsullied and the Dothraki from finishing what Dany started.

Jon is still alive and most likely unites the wildling tribes and forms yet another kingdom in the North.  That is my wish for him.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:25 AM, supremebve said:

My problem had nothing to do with any of this, but had everything to do with what led up to this. 

GRRM only had so much blueprint to give the showrunners and after that, they were fucking winging it.  Like most people, I didn't particularly care for the time crunched showdown with the White Walkers, but the actual ending of the series had a pretty fair resolution.  Almost too fair if you ask me, but I suppose a land that has seen so much conflict was finally due for an extended peace.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 10:58 AM, J.T. said:

My issue is less with Where everyone landed and more with "how we got there".  That's as much on GRRM being a lazy shit that was never going to finish this and D&W being shit at doing stuff that wasn't laid out for them explicitly.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 4/28/2021 at 10:58 AM, J.T. said:

Except there's a financially illiterate upjumped sell sword as Master of Coin and ruling the region of the continent that is a huge supplier of food, money and men for the Royal Army. Let's not forget that Bron didn't even know how a loan worked before Tyrion told him. And the other houses of The Reach are just gonna accept him taking over that region?

And Mr. "I can't be lord of anything" is now the king. And Sam who's essentially a rando deserter from The Night's Watch is now Grand Maester. And Yara who still holds a grudge over Jon killing Dany is presiding over the Iron Islands and they're not exactly known for being super loyal to The Crown. And who is the new Dorne guy? All we know about him is that he's just handsome swarthy looking guy.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Haha 1

The smallfolk won't care what's going on with the great houses as long as their bellies are fed and that's questionable as to whether or not that's going to happen. But the nobles absolutely won't be happy with what's going on with what happened at the end of the series. If The North can be independent, why can't the other kingdoms do the same? They don't need anything from King's Landing and it's not like the Crown has a giant army or a dragon there to enforce its will. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 1:30 AM, Eivion said:

I think it was all just bad creative and bad writing. Not to mention a complete betrayal of what George RR Martin said about the White Walkers.

Random but I was going down a wikipedia hole of Game of Thrones characters and actors and found out that Charles Dance's father was born in 1874! Apparently his dad was in his 70s when Charles was born and died when he (Charles) was 3. Charles thought his dad was in his 50s when he was born and didn't learn that his dad was much older until he grew up. Dance actually had a sister who was born in the 1800s as well and she died in 1993. I just thought that was pretty wild. This guy is still alive and while old, it's not like he's ancient or over 100, and had a sibling who was born in the 1898 and it's not like she died a super long time ago either.

Walter Charles Dance was born in Redditch in Worcestershire on 10 October 1946, the son of Eleanor Marion (née Perks; 1911–1984), a cook, and Walter Dance (1874–1949), an electrical engineer who served as a sergeant in the 2nd Regular Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers during the Second Boer War (having previously served in the 2nd Volunteer Battalion).[1][2] From his father's previous marriage, Dance had two older half-sisters named Norah (1898–1993) and Mary (1903–1908).[3] His mother had been put into a mental institute when he was a child, and when he was about three years old, his father died; Dance had always believed that his father had been in his early 50s at the time, but later discovered that he was actually 26 years older.

During filming of an episode for the genealogical series Who Do You Think You Are? in 2016, Dance also discovered that his mother had Belgian ancestry, which traced back to the city of Spa. His immigrant ancestor Charles François Futvoye (1777–1847) had been a pioneer in the art of Japanning during the early half of the 19th century.[3] Growing up in Plymouth, Dance attended the now-defunct Widey Technical School for Boys (then known as Widey High School) in Crownhill.[4] He later attended Plymouth College of Art and De Montfort University (then known as the Leicester College of Arts), where he studied graphic design and photography.[5]

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've looked all over this part of the board, but I haven't seen anything posted about it, but... A spin-off sequel series about Jon Snow, with Kit Harrington attached obviously, is in development at HBO according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Fuck that, where is my Arya Stark sequel series, goddamnit.

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

I've looked all over this part of the board, but I haven't seen anything posted about it, but... A spin-off sequel series about Jon Snow, with Kit Harrington attached obviously, is in development at HBO according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Fuck that, where is my Arya Stark sequel series, goddamnit.

Bran the Broken as the driest manager ever.