DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE SEVEN - 2nd Round (8/24/16)

RIPPA

You guys weren't kidding when you said ZSJ is at his best when challenged by someone, Gulak wasn't going to put up with any BS. Gulak was clearly the one dominating and dictating the pace but both of them were able to counter each other at every step, Gulak was just more fired up but that also was his downfall.

Graves with the dig at twitter :D

I feel kind of justified in my liking ZSJ.  I'll admit the first round was hot garbage.  But before this all started I saw him at the Joppa Evolve show and saw him get challenged by Chris Hero.  That was one helluva match and it was because of that sense of urgency.  Good to see this kind of match this week, I'm hoping they can do more matches like as it'll better showcase ZSJ than any first round silliness will.

Swann/Dorado wasn't bad. Swann's splash LOOKED like it broke the masked man's noggin.

ZSJ/Gulak was my match of the night and I'm of the opinion that the wrong guy won. I would much rather watch bad ass, smash mouth Gulak moving forward in the tournament.

TJP/Gargano was perfectly acceptable wrestling. I sorta guessed that Perkins was going to go over but they built it up to a "anyone's match to lose" finish and the crowd reacted like they'd seen an upset.

14 minutes ago, JCM said:

Yeah I've wanted them to sign Gulak for a while. He had a pretty high profile match at the latest NXT tv tapings so that's a good sign.

Isn't the deal with Gulak is that he has much more range than just being a grapple guy? He has some serious comedy wings that he hasn't used in a few years?

• Like 1

Gulak really has "Next Dean Malenko" potential. Dean's the most slept-on guy from the WCW Cruiserweight era. All the other guys had flash and flair. (Especially young Rey.) But Dean brought in a style that was really similar to Tully Blanchard. It was a bit flashier (he used a gutbuster from the ropes) but The Man of 1,000 Moves was a throwback style, which worked well in connecting the division to the southern audience. That's at least my very overly analytical theory.

6 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I would like to see Gulak signed and become the big bully of the Cruiserweight division.

Yes, this. He can be the Tatsuhito Takaiwa of the entire division. I'm all for this.

10 hours ago, Ramsey said:

Yes, this. He can be the Tatsuhito Takaiwa of the entire division. I'm all for this.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

Sorry, too many years of Takaiwa and Kendo Ka Shin having every TOSJ matches on TV.

8 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

Sorry, too many years of Takaiwa and Kendo Ka Shin having every TOSJ matches on TV.

I too struggled with the Takaiwa reference. I feel your pain. I couldn't come up with a other solid "physically imposing jr. heavyweight bruiser" analog off the top of my head. I'm willing to help you get through this. I know a therapist.

I really liked Gulak/Sabre, thought Sabre was far more at home countering some of Gulak's ambitious stuff, and Gulak is pretty much my favorite guy around and he was tops. Really don't see the problem some have with the strike exchange. I did, however, really hate the Swann/Dorado match. Maybe I was in a grumpy mood watching it, but it just felt like two guys doing wind sprints for 8 minutes. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/08/wwe-cruiserweight-classic-82417.html

And Takaiwa working against heavyweights is awesome. I'm in the middle of a Z-1 revisit and Takaiwa is definitely a guy who has aged well from that early Z-1 stuff. Now him against juniors would probably be more tiresome.