DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE IS BAD HAIR VS. WORSE

piranesi

12 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Wasn't there a story where Larry Sharpe was getting a portion of Bam Bams purse for a period and was even on the road with him until there was a falling out over the issue?

I brought that up, although I confused Larry Sharpe with Iron Mike Sharpe.

I re-read that part in Y2J's book and it was Keith Hart. My favorite part of the whole story is Jericho innocently asking Hart how many matches he'd had b/c he thought that wrestlers kept track of that sort of thing, Keith getting offended and calling Jericho a "gearbox" and then trying to give him a backdrop on his first day. Jericho lands on his feet and then Hart takes exception to that and puts him in some kind of submission hold.

32 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Heath sets up DDT -> Rhyno gores Heath -> Force from the gore driving Heath to the mat makes the DDT extra powerful

Wrestling physics, baybay.

That's wonderful, and would fit the gimmick so perfectly.

2 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Mike Larry Sharpe also asked for a percentage of all future earnings which no one ever paid. It was one of the reasons for his falling out with Bam Bam Bigelow.

Seems like total bullshit to me. You pay your ~$3k to train, get trained and go on your way. Transaction over. No need to be indentured to someone for your whole career. But carnies gonna carny.

Just gonna leave this here...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/27/investors-buying-shares-in-college-students-is-this-the-wave-of-the-future-purdue-university-thinks-so/

36 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Heath sets up DDT -> Rhyno gores Heath -> Force from the gore driving Heath to the mat makes the DDT extra powerful

Wrestling physics, baybay.

In my mind, it'd roughly resemble the time Goldberg speared Bret, only for Hart to reveal the steel plate. 

No one should be surprised about The Miz.  He's been a great worker for for many years.  Who gives a shit about snowflake ratings anymore?  He's an unselfish worker, and has always been the company man, and his career has survived some low-points.

Everyone's forgotten but there was a time in 2010 where The Miz had actually become a darling of the internet and was one of the most beloved workers on the roster.  It had built out of his run as a tag team champion with John Morrison and his transition into a singles star.  People like to forget, but all that really happened.

Not everyone in the business is going to put on matches like Okada, Nakamura or Finn Balor.  And they don't have to.  Ultimate Warrior was never the best in-ring worker, but I can go back and enjoy plenty of his matches all the same, even if they are nothing more than a slightly extended squash.  IMHO, not everything has to be a certified Meltzer 5-star classic to consider a worker good.

On the other hand, who is to say The Miz will have a better quality of life than Daniel Bryan in the future?  The Miz is still working a full-time schedule.  That could take its toll on him eventually.  As for Bryan physically, he doesn't seem to be barely able to stand.  He still looks pretty athletic, and he's doing weight-lifting competitions.  He just can't work in the ring anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

No one should be surprised about The Miz.  He's been a great worker for for many years.  Who gives a shit about snowflake ratings anymore?  He's an unselfish worker, and has always been the company man, and his career has survived some low-points.

Everyone's forgotten but there was a time in 2010 where The Miz had actually become a darling of the internet and was one of the most beloved workers on the roster.  It had built out of his run as a tag team champion with John Morrison and his transition into a singles star.  People like to forget, but all that really happened.

Not everyone in the business is going to put on matches like Okada, Nakamura or Finn Balor.  And they don't have to.  Ultimate Warrior was never the best in-ring worker, but I can go back and enjoy plenty of his matches all the same, even if they are nothing more than a slightly extended squash.  IMHO, not everything has to be a certified Meltzer 5-star classic to consider a worker good.

On the other hand, who is to say The Miz will have a better quality of life than Daniel Bryan in the future?  The Miz is still working a full-time schedule.  That could take its toll on him eventually.  As for Bryan physically, he doesn't seem to be barely able to stand.  He still looks pretty athletic, and he's doing weight-lifting competitions.  He just can't work in the ring anymore.

beating-a-dead-horse-.jpg

No buys. 

10 hours ago, turk128 said:

It'll be awesome if Rhyno plays the sympathetic vet character/mother hen and carries Slater under his wings. Whenever Slater is getting bullied backstage, you'll just hear a roar from left field as some poor bully foo gets gored into next Friday.

We need to come up with a name for the Rhyno/Slater team. Maybe I'll come up with something witty later, but for now I've got Red Rhyno. Slater is the one man rock band, perhaps Rock 'n Rhyno.

You know what's the best thing about The Miz. Go back to when Miz/Morrison split up. 99% of everyone was convinced that Miz was going to be the Marty Jannetty of the team. Yet, here he is still in the company doing pretty damn well for himself. Morrison is the one who flamed out (though he's really good on Lucha Underground) but you can say he is no where the star Miz is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

You know what's the best thing about The Miz. Go back to when Miz/Morrison split up. 99% of everyone was convinced that Miz was going to be the Marty Jannetty of the team. Yet, here he is still in the company doing pretty damn well for himself. Morrison is the one who flamed out (though he's really good on Lucha Underground) but you can say he is no where the star Miz is.

Miz's dad would probably enjoy partying with Marty Jannetty. 

I think my point is that Miz has generally proven himself to be the opposite of the way he was labeled by Daniel Bryan in that promo.  Maybe he started out as the absolute dregs, but he actually worked at his craft and became better.  Through his own work, at one point, he was one of the most over guys on the roster.  Whenever he was given the ball, he was ready for it.  

At this point, you can't really call him some fresh faced punk who got handed everything to him.  Miz was never all that protected and was constantly jobbed to make other guys look better, yeah even newer guys like Daniel Bryan and Cesaro.  Guys who were internet darlings and had indie followings.  Miz did the clean job to them, and you never heard BS about him politicking or complaininga bout it.  Even how a few years ago, he had essentially become a jobber and was borderline irrelevant.  It even looked like management was trying to phase him out and make him a commentator.  He didn't complain then either.

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Which is why I always say Enzo will be a bigger star than anyone realizes when he breaks up with Cass.

• Like 1