DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE IS BAD HAIR VS. WORSE

piranesi

10 hours ago, MADCAP said:

He's an entertainer, not a worker, and somehow Bryan, a guy who worked hard his whole professional life and took his job seriously is a moron and Miz, who was a quasi-reality star, who would get drunk and turn into his imaginary character, and who's life ambition was just to be famous....he's the smart one just because he'll do whatever wwe asks, no matter how degrading it is and because he has a semi-attractive wife.

Am I wrong in my summation?

In a word: yes.

By all accounts, Miz grew up a WWF/WWE fan.  He wanted to be a wrestler from the beginning.  He has worked hard for what he has.  Most wrestlers would kill to be where Miz is right now. And he's there because he kept his nose to the grind.

Bryan and Miz worked the system differently--but that shouldn't invalidate one or the other.  Neither path is wrong.

Let's not pretend that Miz has had it easy.  Stories abound about him being bullied/hazed and writers trying to do him in because they wanted Maryse for themselves.  The dude has ate a metric ton of shit along the way.  Not once has he complained.  Not once has he spoken ill of WWE.  He's just as much of a company man as Cena.  Need someone to wake up at 5 AM and do a corny morning zoo radio show?  Get Miz.  A red carpet for some awards show needs to be walked and worked? Get Miz. Need someone to dress up as a chicken?  Get Miz. Of course he's doing this in benefit for himself.  But he has often gone beyond what's expected to promote the company.

All of these wrestlers do it for themselves.  They may love the business, but they love themselves more.  Even Daniel Bryan.

Bryan IS a moron.  Because why would anyone sacrifice 25 years of their natural life for pro wrestling?  I understand wanting to be the best.  It's admirable.  But not to where your wife is basically begging you to think of your future children.  Why would Bryan put Brie through the real possibility of having to feed him through a straw--because he had to go for one last headbutt? Where is that fair to Brie and the life she wants with her husband? It's not all about him.

The biggest difference between Bryan and Miz is that even when Bryan reached the top of the mountain, he was determined to do more.  Something beyond understanding. Be happier than happy.  Miz made to the top in his own way--and knew when to be satisfied with a job well done.

Neither way is wrong.  But to criticize Miz for the route he chose is unfair.  Miz couldn't have made it using Bryan's path.  But you know what?  The same is true in reverse.  Both made it.  Both made it work for them.  So don't call another a coward when you of all people should understand the emotions behind that man's story.

• Like 24

You know kayfabe-wise there's a story here too about how Bryan is just as corrupt in power as The Authority...just as they looked down on Bryan because he didn't have the "WWE look", he looks down on guys like Miz and Slater because they weren't wrestling in high school gyms 15 years ago against guys who use Burning Hammers as non-finishes, and they don't do tope suicidas in meaningless five-minute TV matches, and they don't have 15 different varieties of enzuigiri in their move set...

• Like 9

I remember Miz on Tough Enough I believe, talking about how he cuts promos everywhere he goes, in his car, on the plane, in line at the bank, where ever he is and on anything around him.  He could be driving and get to a stop sign, and cut a promo on the stop sign.  That's the kind of dedication he has to his craft, and he is indeed a master at it now because he has been bustng his ass (and flapping his gums) for over a decade to be the best he can be at it.  Promos and personality are probably the most important things in the wrestling game, it's what sets it apart and makes it more interesting than any old MMA match.  And to me, Miz was the guy who was responsible for Bryan breaking out of his shell in NXT season 1 and starting to show the personality that got him over eventually.  Bryan was always the best "wrestler" on the block, but since Day 1 Miz has been the guy to let him know that alone wasn't good enough in WWE, you have to be the most charismatic guy to get over.  It seems Bryan forgot who his maestro was in that department and had to be taught a lesson by his mentor once again.

Hell, Miz cut a goofy promo on Scooby Doo last week on Smackdown that was better than any other promo on that show.  The week before that he was laying on the Talking Smack desk and making out with Maryse while doing eskimo kisses face to face on top of the table and cracking me up.  If you want to be the best, his is the right attitude to have to make it to the top, and if he keeps doing what he's doing he can definitely be world champ again someday.  And if not, props to him anyway, he made it to the top and he landed one of the hottest women in the game. 

• Like 2

God - with the mention of Tough Enough - I just remembered that Miz and Bryan had a mini-blowup after Miz saved Amanda "because she was hot"

Now - funnily - according to reports Miz was right as Mandy Rose has improved a lot and is surprising people with how well she is picking up wrestling

Anyway - I think I forgot to mention this early. As weird as the execution was - Carmella got more of a reaction leaving than she did coming to the ring so it is a start

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

In a word: yes.

By all accounts, Miz grew up a WWF/WWE fan.  He wanted to be a wrestler from the beginning.  He has worked hard for what he has.  Most wrestlers would kill to be where Miz is right now. And he's there because he kept his nose to the grind.

Bryan and Miz worked the system differently--but that shouldn't invalidate one or the other.  Neither path is wrong.

Let's not pretend that Miz has had it easy.  Stories abound about him being bullied/hazed and writers trying to do him in because they wanted Maryse for themselves.  The dude has ate a metric ton of shit along the way.  Not once has he complained.  Not once has he spoken ill of WWE.  He's just as much of a company man as Cena.  Need someone to wake up at 5 AM and do a corny morning zoo radio show?  Get Miz.  A red carpet for some awards show needs to be walked and worked? Get Miz. Need someone to dress up as a chicken?  Get Miz. Of course he's doing this in benefit for himself.  But he has often gone beyond what's expected to promote the company.

All of these wrestlers do it for themselves.  They may love the business, but they love themselves more.  Even Daniel Bryan.

Bryan IS a moron.  Because why would anyone sacrifice 25 years of their natural life for pro wrestling?  I understand wanting to be the best.  It's admirable.  But not to where your wife is basically begging you to think of your future children.  Why would Bryan put Brie through the real possibility of having to feed him through a straw--because he had to go for one last headbutt? Where is that fair to Brie and the life she wants with her husband? It's not all about him.

The biggest difference between Bryan and Miz is that even when Bryan reached the top of the mountain, he was determined to do more.  Something beyond understanding. Be happier than happy.  Miz made to the top in his own way--and knew when to be satisfied with a job well done.

Neither way is wrong.  But to criticize Miz for the route he chose is unfair.  Miz couldn't have made it using Bryan's path.  But you know what?  The same is true in reverse.  Both made it.  Both made it work for them.  So don't call another a coward when you of all people should understand the emotions behind a story.

Well here we go disagreeing for the first time. 

Im biased in my opinion because I actually love pro wrestling...for the wrestling. So Miz proved he's a company guy. Big deal. I'm sure besides the fact that he loves WWE, he did/does what he does for self-preservation. I'm not a fan because I think his ringwork sucks. Sure he can be led to a passable match occasionally, but let's not get crazy and call him a great worker. For a majority of his career, he's had X-Pac heat. He does have a gift of gab, that's why I said he'd be a great manager. 

You our broke my heart Burgundy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Most people who are truly great at something the way that Bryan was truly great at pro wrestling are driven in a way we non-great folks can't understand. I love playing basketball. I play it all the time. I played in high school. I can't imagine playing it enough to ever become as great as Michael Jordan even if I had more than a(n extremely small) fraction of his talent. 

That's what makes Jordan truly great. He destroyed relationships and probably his knees to be great, but there it is.

That drive doesn't make Jordan a moron. That drive doesn't make Bryan a moron, either. A lot of people proclaim that they appreciate greatness, but when people put in the sacrifice to get it, those same people often criticize those who are great for having tunnel vision and excluding other things that they deem to be more important than striving to greatness.

This part of your post is pretty shitty, tbh. No need to say "you can't criticize either guy for how they made it," which is true, and then immediately start name-calling Bryan for how and why he chose to make it. 

• Like 8

Aww, @MADCAP: your tender heart will mend.  This, too, shall pass. :)

No one is calling Miz a great in-ring worker.  He's fine in that department.  My point is not to sell the man short on what he's done.  Many have tried to do what he's done, and failed.  Not only did he succeed, he thrived.  Miz came to play.  And won, in a way that fits him.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

AA became faces after Summerslam last year

Honestly - I think they were "technically" heels all the way to the Dusty Classic match against Rhyno/Corbin and they were faces by default and the crowd was over huge for them so they were suddenly faces

Okay, that would explain the whole thing about Jordan getting upset at Breeze over his shoe choice.

19 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Who called Miz a great worker? He's a perfectly acceptable worker and a great promo. The only people exaggerating his work rate either way are the handful of people telling us how awful he is.

He's fine as long as you don't ask him to do a figure four.

Okay someone needs to explain to me why someone who has gone through the shit he has and has wrestled for over 8 years doesn't "love" pro wresting.  Because he didn't have 45 minute matches in front of 50 people.  Because he doesn't probably scream and yell and tell Triple H to go fuck himself in the back when he losing feeling in his arm during a match.  Because he doesn't have the Meltzer & Alvarez seal of approval.

The Miz could have gone the Rock route and quit wrestling years ago.

It is an old argument.  If workrate and technical expertise was the standard for great pro wrestling, Ring of Honor would be the #1 promotion regardless of how they TV shows look.   

• Like 2

Is that about Miz? Because man, Daniel Bryan isn't that far away from not being able to stand, were as Miz when he stops wrestling could have a happy life with a beautiful woman having lived his dream. 

Not everyone got into this buisnes to want to be a Benoit, Guerrero, or what not. Some wanted to be an entertainer/wrestler and loved the promo game in wrestling more then the in ring work. Just because he doesn't hit what you want doesn't mean he hasn't been damn succesful.

• Like 1

Someone link 5 Miz promos that are half as good as the talking smack one.

I'm not talking like oh he didn't trip over his words and acted cocky really well promos. 

Show me a time where this guy sold one PPV buy or moved the ratings meter by .01 of a point or helped the company turn 1 cent of a profit because your work or promos don't mean shit if it doesn't lead to any of those things. 

Was really hoping this debate would die a fiery death after more then one person compared The Miz to the fucking Rock...The Rock I mean come on. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

What's so bad about Mike Mizanin? Has he ever been in trouble? Has there ever been a story about him being a bad guy? Has he ever harmed anyone in the ring? No. His crime against humanity is that he has *** matches instead of **** matches.

Yea but that's a capital offense as far as I am concerned.