DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE IS BAD HAIR VS. WORSE

piranesi

Part of what makes this so compelling is that Miz is a talented guy with a long and successful career who "can't work" according to large segments of the audience. If he were a more interesting wrestler, I don't know if this argument with Bryan is half as entertaining

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In wrestling - 90% of the time the heel is right

I don't think AJ Styles said a single thing last night that wasn't true

Did he say he was an irritating little snot-nosed twit?

2 hours ago, Josh Mann said:

Give Miz someone like Styles or Sami or Cesaro, he will hold up his end, period. That's been shown.

Give him Apollo Crews and he will not be able to perform miracles, period. That has also been shown.

I don't know, Miz had me wanting to see Apollo Crews win the IC title on Sunday. That's not quite a miracle, but it's impressive nonetheless.

46 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Bryan loved wrestling. But for it--and us--to love him back, we demanded a lot from him, and pounds of flesh from everyone who performs. There's no great way to make peace with the fact that we're ultimately complicit, and that we don't really want to stop. 

What the promo was about essentially.

Both of them love the wrestling business, in their own ways. 

One guy willingly sacrificed his health, and everything else, for wrestling. And would do so again.   

But the other guy was like "Eh, you know there are limits to what people can ask for, and I have my own life and future to think of."

That people tend to sympathize with the former and not the latter is a little bit of the problem. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meanwhile

HOW DO YOU FUCKING TEASE ARN ANDERSON WRESTLING WWE AND NOT DELIVER!!!!

By using this to bring in The Revival with Arn as their manager as the 8th team in the tournament to get back at Slater.

It'll never happen, but I can dream.

• Like 5

I really don't think it's a good look for WWE to have a guy being called a coward for not coming back after being told to retire due to concussions. I mean yeah it's the ultimate dick move by Miz, but IDK if I'd want it being brought up if I were HHH or Vince. Bryan didn't seem comfortable with it, and I can't imagine the "Id come back if they let me" line is something they wanted him to say. Yeah it was entertaining, but I just wouldn't want that stuff brought up if I were them especially after letting Sasha work like a lunatic with a hurt back and letting Lesnar cave Orton's head in. It's almost like they thought "how could we throw more fuel on the potential lawsuits fire".

I think the thing that probably irks Miz in real life is that he probably doesn't feel great physically even working a 'safe' style. He'll feel it every day he wakes up and he'll probably be in rough shape later in life like all former wrestlers. It's not like he avoids bumping in his matches. He just generally avoids head drops and gets his hands up on kicks. He's not willing to take that shit and in return, he also doesn't drop people on their heads or hit them really hard. 

Keep in mind, Miz suffered a brutal concussion in the biggest match of his life and can barely remember any of it.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Austin, Arn.

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The first name that popped in my head was Bret. 

Interesting that the three named for safe, interesting work all were retired early due to injuries...

• Like 2

Exactly. There's a wide gulf between "headbutting a ringpost" and "Miz."

If it were up to me, there would be far, far, FAR fewer dives and quite a lot more matches based around destroying a limb, which would have the benefit of being both relatively safe and entertaining. 

• Like 1

By the way, if there were anyone who still believed this turned into a shoot, WWE just tweeted a link to "the segment that everyone is talking about".  If this had "gone too far" or turned into something they hadn't intended, it would disappear pretty quickly, not be repeatedly brought up by WWE.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, caley said:

Interesting that the three named for safe, interesting work all were retired early due to injuries...

Bret never injured anybody. He'll always be glad to tell you that, whether you want him to or not. 

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bret never injured anybody. He'll always be glad to tell you that, whether you want him to or not. 

Though if you read his book, there's a few "accidentally drilled [so-and-so] with an uppercut" accounts, including Bad News Allen throttling him by the throat for hitting him in the head with a kendo stick and Archie Gouldie almost quitting because Bret had him so hard with an uppercut that he thought Bret had been instructed to shoot on him.

Interesting, though, that the safe workers were injured by a green/dangerous wrestler (Goldberg), injured by another traditionally safe worker (Owen) and just general years of wear and tear.