DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE IS BAD HAIR VS. WORSE

piranesi

Fuck that was the best show I've been to in a while. I had so much fun. I don't know how the main event came across on TV. It seemed quiet in the building for the first maybe 5-10 minutes but then it felt like the place became unglued. It was probably a 50/50 split between AJ support and Ziggler support.

The dark match was John Cena, Roman Reigns and Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins and Erick Rowan.  Quick little match. Probably around 8-10 minutes but most guys got their signature spots in.

Roman Reigns was over HUGE. LOUD booing but also women and children losing their minds.  Cena was over HUGE with everyone.  Not one single boo for Cena. After the match he took some selfies with people and signed some autographs. He seems like such a good dude.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I thought when Bryan openly admitted to trying to teach himself to work without the use of his arms that everyone understood he was out of his mind and his opinions only mean so much. 

Did he actually say this?? Holy shit.

23 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

So after losing to Dean and AJ, what's next for Dolph? Losing to The Miz and eventually losing a loser leaves town match?

Now that he's returning to his natural dark hair, Ziggler could pull off a Patrick Bateman act where he confuses his wrestling career with some quasi-reality and goes around choking out people while screaming about comedy shows and other such.  I'd watch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Fresh said:

Did he actually say this?? Holy shit.

On Talk is Jericho after his comeback from the neck injury but before his retirement. He compared to it to Zack Gowan working around his disability. 

• Like 1

Just now, El Dragon said:

I really really think they have a huge opportunity to push Miz up the card after this promo. Just let his entire thing be "His opponent goes for a high risk move, and Miz takes advantage" while taunting Bryan the entire time. It would actually be an authority storyline that has direction.

Goddamit. GIve Miz the soft-style Stunner now and he'll be the most over heel in the history of the world.

Ziggler/Styles was good stuff. Enjoyed that better than Ziggler/Ambrose and the crowd was much more into things here. Still sad that Ziggler doesn't have anything lined up now. Ambrose//Styles should be excellent, dug the staredown to end the show. Alpha/Breezango was a real fun tag too.

During Carmella's entrance, I was thinking I hope she doesn't just get squashed here. Wasn't expecting a double turn there but that was interesting. I've liked Carmella in the ring so far so I hope this turns out well for her. Becky/Bliss was a solid little match too.

"This thing between me and Brock... is far from over." Hyped for Shane/Brock if it's happening, hope they let it be a long spectacle like Shane/Taker instead of a shorter Brock squash like most recent Brock matches. Killer promo from Miz there on Talking Smack, definitely makes me wish they could build to a match now too.

What's the old line, "if you see it, then it's a work"? Least I think I once heard that. Either way, dare say it's generally safe to presume work

Sadly, this will likely result in a Maryse v. Nikki Bella match....

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

Bryan's mind immediately flashes back to Brie Bella stroking his forehead saying "Just stay here and be a manager or something and be my cute lil guy, ok.  I still respect you and that's all that matters."

Now, most people would stop at "Brie Bella stroking" and be like "THATS FOR ME!!!! FUCK WRESTLING!!!!!!"

But this is Daniel Bryan. That cut right to his deepest issues in life.

Well, he said in an interview he had a legit nervous breakdown while filming Total Bella's. Even if that was scripted, that "you should quit" line had to really get to him because he takes all this stuff way too seriously. He see's wrestling as more than just a business.

God, imagine if this were on tv instead of the network.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

CRZ's line was (paraphrasing), "if its on tv, its a work."

But what if they worked themselves into a shoot, brother?!

(They didn't.)

Miz could start cutting better promos then flair and dusty combined and it still wouldn't make up for the fact he is the drizzling shits in the ring after 10 years. 

I know the hive is in a big man crush with the miz atm and I'll probably be labeled a hater for stating such blasphemy but the truth hurts. 

Not even a huge DB fan so I'm not trying to defend him I just don't get the miz revolution happening on this board lately. I mean the Spielberg reference was funny the first five backstage skits he name dropped him...  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, piranesi said:

Miz is cutting the best promo ever on Talking Smack.

Edit: I originally wrote "Talkin' Smack" and then realized I had it mixed up with Jason Mantzoukas' podcast "Talkin' 'Tang."

I  expect Miz to get into trouble for that one- kinda makes light on concussions.  It's perfect sense for Miz and Bryan to hate each other deeply though- then again both of them are among my top 10 of the last decade in WWE.

I've been watching the Puerto Rico set (obviously), and The Miz totally reminds me of Chicky Starr. Great on the mic, heat machine, mediocre worker, awful signature moves and spots. He's got his own Sports Shop; now he needs a Bodyguard. Give him Baron Corbin and bring up Joe to be Bryan's proxy for a feud. Or just put Miz back in tags with his own Rambo Ron Starr (in other words, someone who can work for two). 

EDIT: Actually, I think Chicky might be better in ring, I'm not yet through all his matches

EDIT II: To fantasy book just a little more, let Joe run wild until he's threatening Maryse and Bryan "can't control him anymore". Then after Brock crushes Shane, unleash Joe on him

Ah, fantasy booking

• Like 2

To be honest, I think there was some simmering tensions backstage by the way The Miz blew up so fast.  

The Miz should be pushed to the moon.

Fantasy book:  Have someone attack Bryan only to have The Miz make the save and taunt Bryan about it for weeks afterward.

47 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've been watching the Puerto Rico set (obviously), and The Miz totally reminds me of Chicky Starr. Great on the mic, heat machine, mediocre worker, awful signature moves and spots. He's got his own Sports Shop; now he needs a Bodyguard. Give him Baron Corbin and bring up Joe to be Bryan's proxy for a feud. Or just put Miz back in tags with his own Rambo Ron Starr (in other words, someone who can work for two). 

EDIT: Actually, I think Chicky might be better in ring, I'm not yet through all his matches

EDIT II: To fantasy book just a little more, let Joe run wild until he's threatening Maryse and Bryan "can't control him anymore". Then after Brock crushes Shane, unleash Joe on him

Ah, fantasy booking

This seemed like such a natural deal that I'm amazed it never happened.  Have Miz ranting about indie guys and then saying "I know someone else who hates them" and brings in Corbin as his bodyguard.  After a year or so, the crowd will be nuclear for Corbin to turn on Miz.  So easy!

Also, I don't get how many people want AJ Styles to cut his hair.  That hair makes him.  Does nobody remember this?
AJ_Styles_World_Champion_January_2010.jp
or this?
A.J._Styles_Television_Champion_cropped.

Dude looks like nise Brian Christopher with short hair.  The emo hair and beard totally transforms him in a good way.

• Like 8

Nobody at the show knew what to do about Carmella. She came out and everyone looked around like umm okay.  Then Nicki gets huge cheers. But then Carmella attacks Nicki and everyone started cheering the attack lol.  A girl next to me asked if Carmella is bad now. I said yeah it appears that way. I guess this was a double turn.