DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Harambe (RIP)

Dolfan in NYC

Of the four in the match, Rollins is the one who has nothing on the horizon to do.  Reigns can keep working with Rusev. Cass stays with Enzo and works the tag division.  KO has Jericho as a frenemy.  Rollins is reaching "Creative has nothing for you" territory, but he's a main eventer.  Gotta give him something to do.  He's got blood on his hands anyway, so let him carry the cursed belt and get some of the bad karma off it before dropping it to someone else.

• Like 1

Who chases Rollins? Sami Zayn is like 0-4371 vs Seth. Cesaro is locked in a series with Sheamus. And like you said Reigns/Rusev, Cass/Enzo, and JeriKO are otherwise engaged. They need some top babyfaces. If we didn't split the rosters they could use Cena, Dean, or even Ziggler as a stop gap. Hopefully they can stay relatively injury free while they make/elevate some more top baby faces.

So Meltzer is saying that this was it for the Dudleys, it makes it sound like there will be no Bubba singles run.

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-bids-farewell-dudleys-contract-not-renewed-219261

Last night's Raw was the final appearance of Bubba (Mark LoMonaco) & D-Von (Devon Hughes) Dudley with WWE.

The team had signed a one-year contract, but had verbally agreed to a new contract several weeks ago. They had been working on an angle to split the two up for weeks on television but decisions were changed and the decision was made to not renew the contract and to drop the angle.

So instead they were given a farewell last night in Brooklyn where they got to turn babyface, set up signature spots with the Shining Stars, and then be used to get heel heat for Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows, the Raw brand's top heel tag team.

The WWE was very gracious with them on television on the way out, with the announcers pushing that they may have been the greatest tag team in pro wrestling history.

3 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

So Meltzer is saying that this was it for the Dudleys, it makes it sound like there will be no Bubba singles run.

Why do you have me on ignore Ray?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

I know, Owens is beloved by the indy workrate smarks.  Please.  Just because the guy is a good worker does not make him a top of the card, main event wrestler.  If that was the case Cesaro would already have multiple WWE HW title reigns.

Green = inexperienced, that's it; it has nothing to do with where a guy belongs on the card. 

Owens' credentials--or lack of them--as a main event talent are a different argument altogether, and one that requires different verbiage. You can believe--rightly or not--that he shouldn't be Universal Champ, but he's empirically not green.

• Like 4

I really didn't expect to bad mouth Cesaro when I clicked on this thread, but hey I have an opening!

Comparing Owens to Cesaro is the oddest thing.  They are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. The personality gulf between the two is huge.

Owens walks and talks like a main eventer. His eventual run at the top seems inevitable. 

Cesaro is about as far as he can go without a legit character

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jrag said:

I really didn't expect to bad mouth Cesaro when I clicked on this thread, but hey I have an opening!

Comparing Owens to Cesaro is the oddest thing.  They are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. The personality gulf between the two is huge.

Owens walks and talks like a main eventer. His eventual run at the top seems inevitable. 

Cesaro is about as far as he can go without a legit character

Basically. The only thing holding Owens back is there is no one around to give him the rub. If only there was a company ace who would be willing to put him over (oh wait..) and if they didn't squander it (oh wait..) he'd be a main eventer.

Cesaro is great but his ceiling is much lower. 

• Like 2

The thing that holds Owens back is he's a natural heel but would make a shitty babyface and he works for a company that values the main event babyface. What is in Owens favor is the brand split allows guys like him to get world title reigns.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

They should plug Sami Zayn in to exactly where Balor was, but instead of doing demon paint on the PPVs, have him don a mask and talk about how it allows him to be fearless or something. 

Only if he makes this proclamation in broken pseudo-Spanish. 

• Like 3

They had a chance to push Zayn here, but they clearly don't value him anywhere near that level.

In this case, the person who said that pushing Big E would have been a good idea was right. It's about time they push the dude already. He's way over as a face and is a fantastic worker. Just have him stop doing that dumbass spear through the ropes so that he doesn't Bálor himself on the night he wins the title, which would be just this company's luck. 

It's beyond time to make Big E a singles main eventer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

I think Owens would actually be a great babyface in WWE because of his personality. He's a jerk but he's also funny. He's one of the few guys they have who can actually take their dumb comedy and turn it into something funny.

Agreed. Additionally, reductive as it might sound, listen to his pops. People cheer him. We can quibble about what the crowd is supposed to do, different types of heat, etc., but the majority of the crowd, the majority of the time, likes him already. Surely that must count for something. 

17 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

The thing that holds Owens back is he's a natural heel but would make a shitty babyface and he works for a company that values the main event babyface. What is in Owens favor is the brand split allows guys like him to get world title reigns.

I'm sure people thought the same about Austin...

Jesus...This thread has people saying Owens is green (despite beating Cena in his first match and being over as hell his entire run), advocating for a hot shot run with Strowman as champ, and thinking a natural heel also wouldn't work as a babyface.

Anyway, I like idea of Big E as champ. That's a good one.

• Like 1

You know, I realized something last night that is a buy irritating and takes away from Enzo/Cass.  I get the why of it, but I wish they'd stop cutting to the fans during the "... and you can't teach that!" part.

Yeah, Owens being a sardonic dick is the wrestling nerd version of Austin in the sense that he acts like the dudes in the crowd wish they could act in real life, but don't (except for when they're anonymous on the interwebs). 

2 minutes ago, nate said:

You know, I realized something last night that is a buy irritating and takes away from Enzo/Cass.  I get the why of it, but I wish they'd stop cutting to the fans during the "... and you can't teach that!" part.

Call and response doesn't work without the response.

9 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

They had a chance to push Zayn here, but they clearly don't value him anywhere near that level.

In this case, the person who said that pushing Big E would have been a good idea was right. It's about time they push the dude already. He's way over as a face and is a fantastic worker. Just have him stop doing that dumbass spear through the ropes so that he doesn't Bálor himself on the night he wins the title, which would be just this company's luck. 

It's beyond time to make Big E a singles main eventer. 

I've been puzzling over this for a bit. He's certainly a decent worker, a bright, funny guy that can actually put over the WWE's lame attempts at humor. Just once I'd like to see a power wrestler not rely on that stupid spear, but that's just me. Is there something that we don't know about Big E that's been keeping him from the mega-push? I don't want to be that guy that sees conspiracies and deeper meanings everywhere, but it is a legit concern... When all the pieces are on the table that equal a megapush and it doesn't happen, you have to ask "Whassup with that?"

Back to Owens, there is also very, very, very few guys that put in the work he puts in both in the ring and backstage. We laugh about brass rings because it's a bullshit idea, but if you want an example of someone going for the brass ring, it's Owens. He's busting his ass in the ring, is a top 5 guy on the mic, backstage he's constantly in Vince or Hunter's ear, he's in gorilla, he's in production, and is actively learning the ins and outs of the business. He figured it out. You can't get by on talent alone. You have to go the extra 20 miles if you're not a chosen one (TM Jeff Jarrett).

In no way is Owens green. If you want to look at the next champ, he very well may be it. He has a lot going for him right now.

Burgandy is also right. Out of the 4 guys in the match, Rollins is the one without much to do going forward.

Anyway, I like the unpredictability of this. If it were 6 months ago, you could bet everything on Reigns. He's far from a sure bet now. Cass is the least likely one to hold the belt, but even then, he has the look, he can kinda talk and he's aligned with someone to promote the hell out of him, and he still has a decent shot.

• Like 2