DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Harambe (RIP)

Dolfan in NYC

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - the "Bayley was a free agent" thing is weird as it implies that all NXT talent are FAs thus making both brands idiotic for not signing more people OR it implies that there was a stip on the Asuka match that was never talked about OR it implies her contract was up which makes Regal an idiot for giving her a title match on her last night

But hey - we wrestling fans aren't suppose to think about things like that

I know logic be damned, but wouldn't the NXT women's champion who beat Bayley on Saturday be the hottest free agent in wrestling? There's already been the precedent set of the champion moving to Raw before with Paige.

I would also have accepted "Heath Slater in a dress" as the surprise debut.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

It generally was title on your brand then they'd do some other method on the other brand.  I recall Smackdown running a mini rumble once to determine a challenger.

Post Royal Rumble 2004 Smackdown. Eddie Guerrero won as Chris Benoit jumped from Smackdown to RAW as he wanted to challenge for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XX instead.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I am silently praying that they pull the trigger on a Kevin Owens Universal title run with Jericho getting jealous and feuding with KO over the title for sixty days or so.

That probably won't happen..

Likewise pal.

4 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

It generally was title on your brand then they'd do some other method on the other brand.  I recall Smackdown running a mini rumble once to determine a challenger.

They've also used the Elimination Chamber for the other brand, so that might come back.

4 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I mean, there's no way they're putting the title on Cass.......right?

I'd laugh myself silly if that happened.  Some folks were complaining that Reigns wasn't ready coming out of the Shield in 2014--and they weren't wrong.  But he was a 5-star ring general compared to Cass.  And if they do that, kiss Enzo & Cass good-bye.  I mean, that's all over but the crying anyway.  But that would accelerate Enzo being shoved into the Cruiserweight division and becoming a glorified jobber.

• Like 1

Since we're at the mercy of Vince's whims, there's probably a hell of a lot better chance they throw the belt on Cass than Owens. Neither Shield glory boy needs the belt right now so throwing the belt on Owens is exactly what they should do even if he only holds it until Clash of Champions. Shit doesn't even get real again until around Survivor Series or Royal Rumble so this is the exact time to give somebody a reign that doesn't necessarily figure into their long-term plans regarding the Universal Title.

Only in the WWE - were two guys who lost their PPV match and another who was beat up too bad to have his match would immediately be put as finalists for the belt

• Like 5

I think they'll go the path(s) of least resistance, keeping existing plans as intact as possible.  

-Which means, Reigns is winning. They've already got the outline in place for a babyface title run--I mean, nominally babyface--with a heel Rollins chasing. They can just plug him in.

-Enzo and Cass will feud with JeriKO for a while longer. Two of them are in the title match, the other two will be at ringside--it's easy to see them costing one another a potential win.

-That leaves Rusev with nothing to do, but I think they've done the work to set up Zayn--who otherwise has nothing going on--as his next challenger. Rusev will come out and cut a promo about how it wasn't fair that he had to compete with an injury, Zayn interrupts, notes how he *got hurt*, mid match, and fought through it--unlike Rusev, who quit. Something something, why don't we fight right now, you defend that title, Rusev demurs, attacks him, etc. 

I can't figure out why I don't like Finn Balor. Most guys I don't like, I know exactly why. Seth Rollins is a glorified spot-monkey with a voice that sounds like the mom from "Bobby's World," Kevin Owens is a fake tough guy who's only credibility is how he tells us he's tough, and so on and so forth, but I can't put my finger on what exactly it is about Balor that drives me nuts. I don't hate all the indy guys, so don't go there. I LOVE Sami Zayn and AJ...

You know - we keep talking about "poor Smackdown women's roster" but I was thinking about it this morning.

At least all the Smackdown women have had at least one TV match - not counting Eva Marie but that was her gimmick. They have all been on TV multiple times and got a PPV match. They also are almost assured two segments a show.

The RAW women were Charlotte/Dana Brooke and Sasha with now Bayley taking Sasha's place.

Nia Jax was nowhere to found on the 2nd biggest show of the year nor on the RAW immediately following it. And she has only had jobber matches.

Paige never appeared and is hurt/suspended (and doesn't have the greatest relationship with the front office)

Alicia Fox appeared once on RAW and that was only because they needed someone other than Sasha to pretend to be a face.

Summer Rae hasn't been on RAW once since the draft (just Superstars)

So yeah...

• Like 7

I said this last night, but I think the most interesting thing they could have done with the title after Balor's injury is give a short reign to Strowman. I'm sure he is terrible, but I feel like Strowman dragging the belt around and killing jobbers while Rollins is scared out of his mind of fighting him but still wants the belt back would actually be somewhat compelling. Let him have it for a month before it inevitably goes back to Seth. We all know the end of this story, at least make the journey a little more fun. 

• Like 1

What a great start to that title. Balor wins it, then has to drop it 24 hours later, and then a way too green and nowhere near close to ready Strowman holds it for a month before dropping it to Seth.

Yeah...........

I'm just excited to know that I'll be seeing Bayley on September 12 when Raw comes to Baltimore.  That alone is worth the price of admission for us.

Now it would be nice if there was anybody other than Roman or Rollins with the title.  Owens as champ would be so, so good.

So based on what was might have been planned with Finn Balor was WWE Universal Champion, I still think Big Cass is the likely winner of the title. I think they want to hammer home the point of this being the New Era and having a former World Champion (Reigns/Rollins) makes it seem like they're just doing the same thing with different paint. Also I do not think they want a heel as champion which rules out Kevin Owens. My guess is the finish will be Reigns spears Rollins, Reigns eats a Pop-Up Powerbomb and then Owens eats the Big Boot and Cass falls on Rollins to win the title.

Cass certainly follows the path of becoming champion where you lose entirely too much en route to winning the championship or getting a title shot.

I still like the idea of Owens winning it because Jericho will help Owens, Rusev will screw over Reigns, Big Cass will take out Rollins and look like he'll win it, and then Owens will get the pin on Cass. That sets up an opportunity for Rollins to turn face and KO can defend against Rollins, Cass, and even Sami. Hell, you can even work in the favor Rollins owes KO from before Rollins was injured. Have Rollins ask for a title shot and KO tell Rollins to honor the favor he owes him by moving on. 

49 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What a great start to that title. Balor wins it, then has to drop it 24 hours later, and then a way too green and nowhere near close to ready Strowman holds it for a month before dropping it to Seth.

Yeah...........

It's a month. He doesn't even need to have a successful defense. The damage has already been done, at least this way something interesting happens before my mind goes numb with Seth Rollins as long term champion. His first reign was probably the least interesting period of Raw in the past decade. Think about the ground that covers. They have a wonderful opportunity to try things and see if something works. Going back to Reigns or Rollins is actively more harmful to the program long term than a quick run for a first time champion out of the gate. 

• Like 1

I think they should just scrap the title and elevate the US strap. Once you take Rollins/Reigns out the equation ( who could both use a break from the title picture) you have performers who would otherwise be chasing the US title fighting for a new world title which does not feel legitimate in the first place. 

I was really burned out after SummerSlam so I only caught Bayley's debut. Probably the weakest match I've seen from her in two years. She's at the top of my list for best tv match workers in WWE and this was not that good. I don't know if it's the agents or having more time to layout the matches, but NXT routinely smokes the MR when it comes to match layouts. Having Bayley sell for a jobber really didn't do her any favors. They didn't have enough talent to put the women on both shows. Dana, Carmella, and Alexa could've all used more time in NXT.

I have less than zero interest in who wins the title next week. The only half way exciting thing they could do is put it on Owens and build up to one last Jericho title shot when they break up. Yes I think we're at the point where Jericho is the most entertaining guy on the MR.

^ Match layouts and production are still as horrible as ever.  They may be selling more but they are selling poor work.

You know what they need more of in matches?  Kicks to the head that knock the guy out but he kicks out at two halfway through the match.  You can never have too many of that spot.

Enzo is going to be so much more than a jobber in singles matches.  You can see that they want to break them up but each one is so over and their mic work relies on the other one.  

If they do a breakup they should do a Rybaxel where they stay friends so when one has to go up against insurmountable odds the other one has his back.  That story does not get told enough in wrestling.

No matter who wins next week the show loses.  Rollins/Reigns is not exciting for anyone; each one needs time away from the title scene.  Cass is too green but a good test for reaction purposes.  Same with Owens; too green.