DVDVR Message Board

VHS Tapes: Did You Purge?

Blazer

I threw out nearly all of my VHS when I moved in with my then soon-to-be wife. She said I didn't have to do that, but 1) I knew better than that and 2) I had 2+ folders of wrestling DVDs. About two years ago I found that I had like two shelves of wrestling VHS at my parents' house, which includes a NWO Japan commercial tape with this bizarre interview with a very drunk Nash, Hall and Syxx, a ZIPANG show and a few Sabu comps.

Still have all mine. I've converted a shit-ton over the years and those have been moved to a dark corner. The others I keep on my trade lists because I can convert them if necessary...which is good since there might be stuff on vhs that never made it to dvd yet.

When I convert tapes for people I make a dup for myself on dvd and move the tape to the dark corner pile. Works pretty well.

Really dumb lazy question. So you just buy a VCR with a DVD burner and push record? Is it that easy?

I have a crazy amount of custom comps. I think I helped one poster here put a nice down payment on a car or something. Ah to be young and living at home.

Really dumb lazy question. So you just buy a VCR with a DVD burner and push record? Is it that easy?I have a crazy amount of custom comps. I think I helped one poster here put a nice down payment on a car or something. Ah to be young and living at home.

Yeah, my first DVD recorder was a VCR/DVD combo and that was all you had to do.  Nowadays I send the a VCR into my new DVD recorder.  

I tossed pretty much everything except for the really rare California indie stuff that I'm not gonna find anywhere else (some old Rev Pro Shows, MPW (I think that was the name of it), etc.  They are all in the trunk of my car, as I had to get them out of my moms house a month ago when she sold the place.  I really need to convert them to DVD so I can stop keeping them back there.

I bought a DVD/VCR recorder/player some years back with the intention of converting everything to DVD, but all of my wrestling tapes remain in one big ass box in my basement. Unfortunately, my daughter has fed the VCR slot a piece of cheddar cheese, Chuck E. Cheese tokens, and random coins on different occasions. Now, in her defense, she's 1) very cute and 2) she's 3, how the hell is she supposed to know what a VHS tape or a VCR are? So, who knows if the VHS side works now.

I purged the ones that were easily replaceable and/or lame (no, I don't need that RVD fan cam comp anymore).

I do want to give a shot to converting, although who knows when I'll get around to it. Has anyone ever converted those gigantic east coast indy comps a guy named Wes on this board made in '01-'03? I still have those and something in my psyche would feel bad about throwing them out if they don't circulate.

Chris

From the Mystery Box.  ECW TV with Stevie Richards setting up the Raggedy Ass Ho match with Johnny Grunge.  Notible for Stevie wearing the "Dancin' Stevie" half shirt we gave to him with the Los Lurkers Locos shirt we gave him.

*EDIT*  And Steve Austin runs out to confront the Sandman before Whipwreck/Sandman title match.  Austin called a Hulk Hogan wanna be... them's fighting words.  And Konnan gets in on the fighting with Sandman too.

- Stuttering Bubba Ray

- Evil Cactus Jack.

Follow up show Austin doing Monday Night Nyquil

• Like 1

I still have two giant blue tubs of VHS tapes from back in my tape trading days sitting in the garage. .I was an obsessive trader, I easily have 200 odd tapes. bought this VCR that had a USB output off some website a few years ago with the intention of transferring the stuff to DVD. Unfortunately, two problems occurred:

1) I'm a VQ nut and the only way to get the same VQ as the source tape is to transfer on the highest VQ setting. My mp4 output files end up being like 18 GB each (for a 6 hour tape taped in EP) which obviously won't fit on a DVD. When I try to reencode to DVD, though, the VQ ends up going right back to shit. So I have an entire pocket drive full of John McAdam mp4s sitting in my closet.

2) I used to record all WWF/Wcw/ECW ppvs from the Attitude Era and then I taped segments from Raw/Nitro whatever to fill out the rest of the tape (6 hours EP). When I use my USB VCR, the Raw segments transfer fine but the PPVs have a thick distortion line along both sides of the picture. I have no idea how to get rid of that or why its even there. I thought about buying a vcr-to-DVD machine but if there's no way to get rid of those lines, I don't want to waste the money.

Ray - you do realize you need to review all this mystery stuff now?

Maybe I'll tweet them.  6/8 hour tape reviews in 144 characters or less

Random stuff from the mystery box:

Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2000. Ken Shamrock teaming with Don Frye against Muto who I think debuted the bald look on this show and Takada. Ken is with his former sister now his girlfriend Ryan/Alicia Webb

Raw from 10/6/97

- Mero's return from injury with the boxer gimmick

- Jim Cornette cuts a shoot promo on the NWO

- Kane attacks the Hardyz. It's pretty sick when Kane throws Jeff at Matt on the floor and it looks like Matt's head hits the ramp under Jeff's body.

Raw 2/24/97

- Shawn Michaels tell me a lie video

Raw 3/10/97

- Sid/Taker v. Vader/Mankind - Undertaker does the big crazy dive over the top onto Vader and Mankind? The craziest part? I think he does it over the metal steps that aren't in a corner but set up mid ring to line up with the entrance way.

Smackdown 2002

Matt Hardy v1.0 Matt Facts:

- Mattitude is practiced in over 100 countries

- Matt's bed time is 4am

• 2 weeks later...

I keep anything that can't be easily replaced like fancams I shot myself or TV comps I put together myself but usually I try to sell off the VHS tapes as I convert them.  I'm kind of tired of lugging the Rubbermaid box to random indy shows I go to but on occassion someone will buy 1-5 of them at $1 a pop & sometimes I want to hug them.  If the box gets full & I need to add more to it, I'll find the "weakest link" and toss anything that's unlikely to sell (Japanese) or anything that doesn't look good or that's been in the box a really long time.  If I run across something with substandard VQ I'll usually trash it anyway.  Over the years I've MAYBE decreased my collection by 1/4 to 1/3 by getting rid of stuff as I convert.  Still have hundreds though with no end in sight.  Movies I'll normally give to Goodwill as I replace with DVDs.

If I could figure out a way to make a living at it, I could probably spend the rest of my life "converting things".  Converting VHS to DVD, converting DVD ISO files to digital back-up, my latest project of converting my 100s of CDs to digital, scanning & saving old family photos & wrestling photos to digital (I got a gimmick a couple Christmases ago that you put the negatives in & supposedly hit a button to copy it to the computer but I've never once hooked it up).

Maybe we need to start a "yard sale" thread for people to trade or get rid of stuff they have converted/no longer want?

I had a ton of stuff from IWA:MS, CZW, NOAH and Michinokou Pro that I just replaced where possible on DVD or converted them onto disc.

I now have a DVD cupboard.

I find it really had to sort and label the DVD's though, especially the ones that I burned myself. Almost miss my tapes!