DVDVR Message Board

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2016

The Natural

Starting this topic earlier than usual with Team Great Britain's amazing performance at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

The shortlist for the title award went from 10 to 12 for 2012 with the London 2012 Olympic Games, back to 10 for 2013-2014 and returning to 12 last year. Good luck doing a shortlist with the aforementioned medal haul. There's other sports also like Rugby, Paralympics, Boxing, MMA and the Ryder Cup.

Here's my attempt as they came to mind...

Adam Peaty. First Brit male to win an Olympic swimming title since Adrian Moorhouse in 1988.

Mo Farah is only the second man to win the 5,000 and 10,000m at two successive Olympics.

Chris Froome. Third Tour de France win and Rio bronze medalist.

Max Whitlock. First Brit to win a gold medal in gymnastics and wins the second an hour later.

Laura Trott. Retained her two gold medals in cycling. Trott has 4 golds.

Jason Kenny. Tied with Sir. Chris Hoy for most gold medals.

Charlotte Dujardin. Gold and silver in equestrian.

Andy Murray. Loses the Australian Open and French Open finals. Wins Wimbledon for second time and first male tennis player to defend the Olympic title.

Heather Stanning/Helen Glover. Women's pair rowing and I believe they haven't lost a race in five years.

Carl Frampton. First man in boxing to beat Scott Quigg and Leo Santa Cruz.

Michael Bisping. Beats one of if not the best MMA fighter ever, Anderson Silva and on 17 days notice KTFO Luke Rockhold to be the first British fighter.

Jade Jones. Retained her taekwondo title.

BBC Overseas Personality of the Year I'd give to Usain Bolt instead of Michael Phelps. Can't go wrong with either.

BBC Team of the Year. Team GB performed so well at the Olympics. However my vote goes to Leicester City. I go for them because you knew Team GB would deliver though they've exceeded expectations. Leicester City winning the Premier League. Unbelievable.

For the above Claudio Ranieri should win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award I'm drawing a blank on, same for BBC Sports Personality of the Year Helen Rollason Award, BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year and BBC Sports Unsung Hero Award.

On 21 August 2016 at 10:57 PM, Happ Hazzard said:

The BBC hate MMA. No way Bisping is in the top 10 that can be voted on on the night. Especially after a highly succesful Olympics for team GB.

Agreed. One can hope. Real to me dammit!

On 22 August 2016 at 0:40 AM, AxB said:

Conor McGregor is in with a shout for Overseas athlete though. Lots of Irish people will vote for the BBC poll :)

I forgot the public now votes for this award.

On 22 August 2016 at 1:12 AM, odessasteps said:

I heard someone say no matter the success of Rio, Hamilton will win again because of all the F1 fans that vote.

Not sure about that. Lewis Hamilton has finished second two times and won the once. Isn't Hamilton and F1 divisive?

On 22 August 2016 at 1:48 AM, AxB said:

Which is bollocks, because Formula 1 isn't a sport.

Like the use of bollocks. Do you feel that way because its the argument who does what unlike say Mo Farah where it's all him, his body?

On 22 August 2016 at 2:37 AM, odessasteps said:

You'd think Murray or Mo would be front runners.  Maybe Rose.

i could see Vardey making the short list, but might depend on Leicester's results this season.

Murray and Mo favourites. Rose might benefit if the Ryder Cup team performs and he won Golf Gold at Rio 2016. Then again Golf in the Olympics might count against him for getting inclusion when other sports didn't and how some of the top players treated it by declining to take part.

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Like the use of bollocks. Do you feel that way because its the argument who does what unlike say Mo Farah where it's all him, his body?

It's partly the fact that the races are won and lost in the garages by the engineers before a driver even touches the car. It's partly that the sport is really fucking boring to watch. It's partly the Ecclestone corruption issue. And it's partly the 'If you can smoke while doing it, it's not a sport' principle. Which counts out Golf and Darts as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick bash at my top 12 in the library:

Adam Peaty. First Brit male to win an Olympic swimming title since Adrian Moorhouse in 1988.

Mo Farah is only the second man to win the 5,000 and 10,000m at two successive Olympics.

Alistair Brownlee: Retained his Olympic Triathlon title, only athlete to win two in the event. Carried his exhausted brother, Jonny over the line at the final race of the 2016 World Triathlon Series pushing him over the line.

Max Whitlock. First Brit to win a gold medal in gymnastics and wins the second an hour later.

Laura Trott. Retained her two gold medals in cycling. Trott has 4 golds.

Jason Kenny. Tied with Sir. Chris Hoy for most gold medals.

Sarah Storey. Two Paralympic Gold medals, she's the most sucessful British Paralympian of the modern era.

Andy Murray. Loses the Australian Open and French Open finals. Wins Wimbledon for second time and first male tennis player to defend the Olympic title. Great Britain lose to Argentina in the Davis Cup Semi-final.

Hannah Cockcroft. Three Paralympic Gold medals and a new world record.

Michael Bisping. Beats one of if not the best MMA fighter ever, Anderson Silva and on 17 days notice KTFO Luke Rockhold to be the first British fighter to win a UFC Title, the UFC Middleweight Championship. Retains the title against Dan Henderson.

Carl Frampton. First man in boxing to beat Scott Quigg and Leo Santa Cruz.

Jade Jones. Retained her taekwondo Olympic title.

On 21 August 2016 at 7:04 PM, The Natural said:

BBC Overseas Personality of the Year I'd give to Usain Bolt instead of Michael Phelps. Can't go wrong with either.

BBC Team of the Year. Team GB performed so well at the Olympics. However my vote goes to Leicester City. I go for them because you knew Team GB would deliver though they've exceeded expectations. Leicester City winning the Premier League. Unbelievable.

For the above Claudio Ranieri should win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award I'm drawing a blank on, same for BBC Sports Personality of the Year Helen Rollason Award, BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year and BBC Sports Unsung Hero Award.

No change here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16 October 2016 at 1:18 AM, odessasteps said:

If Murray gets to #1, i could see him winning it.

Good shout, this might happen today because Novak Djokovic lost to Marin Cilic for the first time in the quarter-finals at the Paris Masters. Going in Novak was 14-0.

Before the tournament, Murray had to win and Novak not to make the final. Now Murray plays Milos Raonic today in the semi-finals, win will see him top the world rankings. If Andy achieves this, my new top three:

1. Andy Murray.

2. Alistair Brownlee

3. Mo Farrah.

• 1 month later...

The 16 nominees for BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2016:

Nicola Adams (boxing)

Gareth Bale (football)

Alistair Brownlee (triathlon)

Sophie Christiansen (equestrian)

Kadeena Cox (athlete/cyclist)

Mo Farah (athlete)

Jason Kenny (cycling)

Laura Kenny (cycling)

Andy Murray (tennis)

Adam Peaty (swimming)

Kate Richardson-Walsh (hockey)

Nick Skelton (equestrian)

Dame Sarah Storey (cycling)

Jamie Vardy (football)

Max Whitlock (gymnast)

Danny Willett (golf)

On 05 November 2016 at 1:04 PM, The Natural said:

Good shout, this might happen today because Novak Djokovic lost to Marin Cilic for the first time in the quarter-finals at the Paris Masters. Going in Novak was 14-0.

Before the tournament, Murray had to win and Novak not to make the final. Now Murray plays Milos Raonic today in the semi-finals, win will see him top the world rankings. If Andy achieves this, my new top three:

1. Andy Murray.

2. Alistair Brownlee

3. Mo Farrah.

No change for me.