DVDVR Message Board

Top 5 Active American Born Workers?

RIPPA

In the Main Discussion Thread caley asked

Would you consider Prince Puma/Ricochet one of the Top 5 best active American-born workers in the world right now?

And I figured that was worthy of enough discussion to warrant its own thread. Plus it will make it easier for me - when y'all ruin it - to ban the lot of you.

So I was trying to think of what a possible pool would be (ie: folks with a realistic shot of being named Top 5)

I think the pool would be something like... (alpha by first name)

AJ Styles

Chris Hero

Drew Gulak

Fred Yehi

Jeff Cobb

Matt Riddle

Ricochet

Sami Callihan

Samoa Joe

I wasn't considering full tag teams - otherwise Briscoes are in it. I also don't think any of the women have a body of work at the moment to declare them Top 5 right now.

I am also sure I am forgetting luchadores who probably were born in like Texas

Rey Mysterio would still be in the mix. I love Jeff Cobb, but I think he is more a fun guy with some cool spots then a great overall wrestler. In the subset of California based quasi shootstyle guys I don't think he is as good as Joe Graves. Puerto Rico is part of the US so lets throw Mil Muertes in there

I would have Scott Dawson ahead of Puma. I haven't seen anything less than a great performance from Dawson this year, and he might be the most underrated guy in wrestling. Puma was definitely the second best guy in the ring against Rey. Was Puma even better than Mundo in LU season 2? The Ricochet stuff I've seen hasn't been my cup of tea. I'd rather watch Bayley and Sasha work a big match, and Bayley has had an outstanding year getting good matches out of everyone.

Even though he's kind of a hate-em or love-em, I think John Cena has to be in that pool.

There are corners of the internet that would make a case for Seth Rollins, Dean Amrbrose and Dolph Ziggler, but those would be immensely unpopular choices around these parts.

Roman Reigns has to be close to the list, as unpopular a choice as he might be.

As much as I love Bray Wyatt, I just don't think the matches are there.

Sasha Banks and Charlotte are getting there, but their WWE body of work is a little limited

I'd probably go
-Cena, John
-Muertes, Mil 
-Reigns, Roman
-Ricochet
-Styles, AJ

Edited by caley
Phil says Puerto Rico counts!
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, caley said:

Even though he's kind of a hate-em or love-em, I think John Cena has to be in that pool.

John Cena is secretly Canadian.  I thought everyone knew that.

That's the secret to his amazing recuperative powers.  He's actually related to Wolverine.

• Like 5

AJ and Joe are no-doubters, I think. Mil is a no-doubter if the commonwealth of Puerto Rico counts.

After that, Bayley, Mundo, Ricochet, and Hero would be the top contenders for the last spots. Darkhorses are Rollins and Cage.

For tag teams, The Briscoes and Revival lead the way.

Not really. He's had some great brawls over the years but his work as Mil is on a completely different level. Plus, AAA is the worst.

I'm thinking Muertes, Styles, Roderick Strong, Samoa Joe, and Chris Hero maybe. I want to put Brian Cage in there but he doesn't have the matches recently to support it.

Canada's top 5 is better tho:

Omega, KOR, Zayn, Owens, and Elgin. Elgin has been doing some great work in New Japan the past year.

It's kinda staggering how many top workrate-y guys often brought up are from outside the US: Owens, Zayn, Cesaro, Balor, Jericho (well he was mentioned in here), Omega, Elgin (Though I genuinely dislike most of his work), Ospreay, Sabre Jr, Galloway, most of the luchadors.

41 minutes ago, caley said:

It's kinda staggering how many top workrate-y guys often brought up are from outside the US: Owens, Zayn, Cesaro, Balor, Jericho (well he was mentioned in here), Omega, Elgin (Though I genuinely dislike most of his work), Ospreay, Sabre Jr, Galloway, most of the luchadors.

I mentioned Jericho for the US-born guys. He is technically from New York. 

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

I mentioned Jericho for the US-born guys. He is technically from New York. 

Is he, though?  Jericho, himself, considers himself to be a Canadian.  He spent basically his entire childhood up to and including his training in Canada.

26 minutes ago, caley said:

Is he, though?  Jericho, himself, considers himself to be a Canadian.  He spent basically his entire childhood up to and including his training in Canada.

Oh, I know. I'm using a loophole, since he was born in NY.