DVDVR Message Board

Top 5 Active American Born Workers?

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Kinda hard to list a guy who hasn't wrestled since before Mania as best right now

Hopefully Luke Harper gets better treatment from the WWE upon his return. I was going to see Luke for the first time in April 2016 but he tore his ACL.

Hero vs. Scurll had a few awkward moments but was otherwise a thriller. Holy shit, Hero is on fire right now.

He also hit a better running headscissors than Matt Sydal in a recentish tag.

19 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Well I took "active" to mean "not retired" as opposed to "not currently on the DL"...

By that definition - Terry Funk is #1

• Like 6

9 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I ain't about top five lists but mad heads sleeping on Luke Harper...

I completely forgot about mentioning Harper due to his injury. If he were healthy, abso-fucking-lutely. 

His treatment and the treatment of the Wyatt's in general is fucking criminal. The cult leader and his followers should have been a fucking grand slam. 

• Like 1

On 18/08/2016 at 8:30 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I completely forgot about mentioning Harper due to his injury. If he were healthy, abso-fucking-lutely. 

His treatment and the treatment of the Wyatt's in general is fucking criminal. The cult leader and his followers should have been a fucking grand slam. 

This. Nods approvingly.

On 18/08/2016 at 11:08 AM, The Natural said:

Interesting question. I've come up with:

AJ Styles

Samoa Joe

Sasha Banks

Bayley

John Cena

Out of my five, AJ has a lock on #1. AJ Styles debut in the Royal Rumble match, the Chris Jericho series is Jericho's finest WWE return in ages and AJ has two MOTY candidates with Roman Reigns at Payback and Extreme Rules. The Payback match has one of the best table spots ever and the Extreme Rules match is brilliant with AJ's bumps and a holy shit Spear from Roman. The only WWE match I have above Reigns/Styles at Extreme Rules is Shinsuke Nakmaura vs. Sami Zayn at NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

I haven't watched much Impact, but I've caught a handful of episodes since The Hardys started their insane storyline. I don't think I've seen a Lashley match outside of his WWE run, but he's been the guy on Impact TV that's given the 10 minute promo segment every week and he's become a good, but in my opinion not great, promo. I'm really curious how he's evolved as a wrestler to be considered a top 5 US guy. What are some matches you can point me to?

If Kendrick keeps wrestling at the level he has so far in the CWC he's going to make my top 5. After Takeover I think Dawson is a lock for my top 5. AJ has got to be #1 right now(when he's not wrestling epic match John). I'd go AJ, Joe, Dawson, Rey Jr, and Sasha.

• 6 months later...

I feel Lashley still needs to be protected so to call him a top worker is a bit much. He feels like modern-day Lex Luger to me: looks great, can go...but if he's not wrestling a top guy, his matches suffer.

For example, I felt he was lost in that Ironman Match with Edwards. Like that's too much for Lashley at this point.

Funny I just watched Bobby Lashley vs Rush on Lucha Azteca. And your right when protected Lashley looks great and can have a good match. They kept it in the ring and mat based as to accentuate Lashley's positives before Lashly won with a spear. 

27 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I feel Lashley still needs to be protected so to call him a top worker is a bit much. He feels like modern-day Lex Luger to me: looks great, can go...but if he's not wrestling a top guy, his matches suffer.

For example, I felt he was lost in that Ironman Match with Edwards. Like that's too much for Lashley at this point.

Well said. That Luger comparison is spot on, IMO.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2016 at 0:25 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I completely overlooked Trevor Lee.  He'd probably be my no. 6.

The rest my top 10 would be interesting.  Probably Bayley at 8, Rey at 9, and Becky or Sasha at 10, maybe?

Man, two years on the main roster hasn't done Becky or Sasha any favors.  Still like both, but, if I'm picking a top 10 US today, I wouldn't give Sasha or Becky much thought.

7 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Man, two years on the main roster hasn't done Becky or Sasha any favors.  Still like both, but, if I'm picking a top 10 US today, I wouldn't give Sasha or Becky much thought.

Becky is not American born, so should not receive much thought for best active American born wrestler. :)