DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Thunderstruck

Rev Ray

I keep hoping Finn will do something other than the demon/Carnage makeup. Rey Mysterio Jr. always got to come out in a superhero outfit so it's not like Finn couldn't come out doing the Joker thing again, or as Venom, etc.

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Isn't one of the main reasons the demon king shtick is so over is because it appeals to the ladies because slithering Finn has a magnificent butt while also appealing to trench coated neckbeards who loved the Maximum Carnage comics in the 90s? It's the perfect storm.

You forgot to add in the indy/international talents are automatically awesome demographic as well as kids who love kid crap.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If Finn wants to keep it topical, Margot Robbie's Harley is the way to go. He can ditch the wig at the end of his entrance, as is tradition. 

Poor Delilah Doom was Harley last night. Only she didn't have no mallet to counter Nia.

I'm not down on Finn as a wrestler, I'm a big fan of most of his NJPW stuff. I just find his cosplay to be a bit hokey. Especially when he was doing all that Anti-Venom, Carnage II, Joker nonsense. Finn has the worst taste in comic books.

I do think it's cool that he's finally on the main roster and getting a big push. If you've seen the Smack Em Up documentary on Prince Devitt's final days in NJPW it's kind of heartwarming to think that he and Gallows and Anderson are all finally in the WWE together after watching them saying goodbye and crying and hugging it out 2 years ago.

3 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Isn't one of the main reasons the demon king shtick is so over is because it appeals to the ladies because slithering Finn has a magnificent butt while also appealing to trench coated neckbeards who loved the Maximum Carnage comics in the 90s? It's the perfect storm.

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

You forgot to add in the indy/international talents are automatically awesome demographic as well as kids who love kid crap.

FOUR QUADRANTS!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

All snark aside, can someone explain to me why they are so high on Balor? He's undersized. He has five moves (not an exaggeration) none of which look particularly hurty. He's not a great promo. His matches arent compelling.  I know he does the demon stuff, but that's kind of a one trick pony. I don't get it. 

"Undersized" is a dated term, that isn't nearly as big of a deal now as it was 10-15 years ago. He's a handsome guy that has some dorky charm and is a good athlete, so he appeals to broad swath of fans. He has way more than 5 moves, just in his signature spot collection (running chop, pele kick, running apron kick, outside-in enzuigiri, slingblade, running dropkick, flip dive, coup de grace, reverse DDT, 1916), let alone some of the stuff he busted out in the Nakamura match, so that's just patently untrue. Even if it were true, you could still look at a guy like Cena being successful with an offense built around 5 non-hurty looking moves. Much like Cena, most of Balor's stuff gets a reaction and that's what counts. No one can force you to like his matches, but it shouldn't have to be pointed out that match taste is subjective. He has a good variety of work this year alone in NXT working big epics and low-key practice style matches which I find him much more enjoyable in. The body paint is super over, so they milk it, that's just basic wrestling promotion.

Balor's one of those guys that even if you don't personally care for him, it shouldn't be hard to see why other people like him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

He has way more than 5 moves, just in his signature spot collection (running chop, pele kick, running apron kick, outside-in enzuigiri, slingblade, running dropkick, flip dive, coup de grace, reverse DDT, 1916)

So now we know what the WWE really likes in it's development guys - a moveset consisting almost entirely of running strikes. If you have that, you're a future franchise player. If they ever do Balor vs Reigns, it'd look like a Benny Hill chase sequence.

• Like 1

I know it sounds like it didn't work well in real time, but in the youtube recap (the 10 things one WWE puts out every week), I thought that the Demon King stuff really hit. For one thing, the stilted Raw branding did more to get over that there's a difference between facepaint Finn and non-facepaint Finn than a year and a half in the otherwise superior in every way NXT. They were really hammering it home. Also, in clip form, he seemed to have more contained intensity than usual. At the very least, they did a good job packaging the clips and the Dunn producing seemed to, for once, help shine a focus on something.

29 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Imagine the hype at Wrestlemania 33 if they had waited that long to debut the Demon.

It's going to be very sad when the Demon King's first feud over the Universal Title is a Bryan-esque feud with the Demon Kane.

Don't even joke about that. I can see Vince salivating at the thought of having Michael Cole yelling Demon King vs. Demon Kane for three hours. 

• Like 2

In theory, Balor/Demon should have a Bruce Banner/Hulk dynamic. It has to be more than just the demon showing up when summoned or when he has a match on ppv. 

Balor should have no control over what he does or when he shows up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Don't even joke about that. I can see Vince salivating at the thought of having Michael Cole yelling Demon King vs. Demon Kane for three hours. 

With Dale Torborg as special guest  enforcer!

Spoiler

02.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

In theory, Balor/Demon should have a Bruce Banner/Hulk dynamic. It has to be more than just the demon showing up when summoned or when he has a match on ppv. 

Balor should have no control over what he does or when he shows up. 

With this kind of entrance:

• Like 3

At least there will be a certain newness to Balor holding one of the main titles since he'll be the first non-Shield Champion (since WM XXXI) that wasn't merely a lame as fuck lame duck placeholder like Sheamus and Triple H. He won't be Lesnar holding the title hostage either which dates back a full two years so that would make him the most intriguing Champion in a good long while.