DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Thunderstruck

Rev Ray

Vince would be all: SEE, THIS IS WHY THE PIRATE GIMMICK DIDNT GET OVER IN 96. I DIDN'T HAVE ROMAN REIGNS BACK THEN.

But sir, he was 10.

Vince: SO?

Seriously though I think Meltzer said Vince is the one who's all "I LOVE THIS DEMON KING STUFF" and that's why they want to use it now. They were supposed to debut it at Summerslam, but it wouldn't be the WWE if they didn't give away something for free.

• Like 2

I'll start liking Rollins again if they let him pull a Bryan using the head belt to choke the DEMON KING

And seriously, doesn't that make you think? Rollins used to have the curb stomp. He put Ambrose's head through cinderblocks, and as silly as it was at the time it came off serious. Let some of these guys do something that pushes the PG envelope on a regular basis (instead of just Brock, who will do whatever he wants) and you might get somebody over that's been on the main roster for awhile already minus New Day.

EDIT: Nevermind, I know I'm being logical and I should stop

Am I the only one who is bored of Brock and Heyman?  Brock's thing about not caring about Slater's kids was great but the beatdown was...mediocre.  Maybe it's because I just watched Mil Muertes murder Fenix, or maybe because Donovan Dijak's beating of Lio Rush was more impressive on ROH last week, but it just felt like Brock-By-Numbers: "Suplex, suplex, F5".  If Brock was so offended at being interrupted, shouldn't he have pummeled him some more?  Done something else?  Even Heyman feels like he's phoning in the "Brrrrrrrrrocks" lately.  It's just kinda "My client Brawk Lesnar" with Brawk sounding like onomatopoeia for a fart.  I can't even begin how boring a sleepwalking Lesnar versus Orton match is going to be.  I'm at the point where I'm actually excited for Brock Lesnar to go home for a while.  I never thought I'd say that.

That said, if it was Heath Slater refusing to stay down and fighting for his life against Brock Lesnar, I would 100% be seeking the match out.

Main Event was awesome.  Two big dudes beating the life out of each other.  I wonder if this was done because with Orton-Lesnar, Balor-Rollins, Ambrose-Ziggler, Banks-Charlotte all angling for time, as well as all the celebrities (Stephanie McMahon being excited for Jon Stewart was the most disingenuous sounding thing on a show with Heath Slater lying about his kids), that they've already realized they're going to be out of time and had to shorten the Rusev-Reigns Us Title match at SS?  BTW, is there a chance any match outside of the women's title match on the card is going to be a better wrestling match than Rusev/Reigns was tonight?!

When they had the pre-commercial promo with Charlotte stretching that put a particular focus on a certain part of her anatomy and got a big pop from the crowd, I thought "It's still going to take a long while before these fans are conditioned to love women's wrestling" and then there was the post-match Sasha versus Charlotte angle with the crowd chanting "Charlotte sucks" at the heel who just beat up the face and I thought "It's weird how this match has the most heat of anything on the show".

12 minutes ago, caley said:

BTW, is there a chance any match outside of the women's title match on the card is going to be a better wrestling match than Rusev/Reigns was tonight?!

Technically there is always a chance, but outside of Banks/Charlotte only Cena/AJ has a decent chance of comparing.

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Technically there is always a chance, but outside of Banks/Charlotte only Cena/AJ has a decent chance of comparing.

Oddly, I had forgotten Cena/AJ.  
Seriously with
-Orton-Lesnar (Should go long to play up the Dream Match aspect, probably 30+)
-Rollins-Balor (Definitely will go long because it's their chance to put both over as the future, 30+)
-Styles-Cena (Hard to imagine this going less than 25-30 with entrances)
-Ziggler-Ambrose (Should go at least 15+)
-New Day-Club (Has to be at least in the 15 range)
-Banks-Charlotte (I can't imagine it going less than 20)
-Owens/Jericho-Enzo/Cass (In the 10 neighbourhood)
-Celebrity nonsene
-Sheamus-Cesaro (Pre-show?)
-Crews/Miz (Pre-show?)
-One has to imagine they want to get one or more of Nia Jax, American Alpha, Braun Strowman, Baron Corbin, Sami Zayn, Wyatts etc. on the show

How does Rusev-Reigns get any time?  I wonder if someone is getting the Sheamus-Bryan 11 second treatment?  With Rusev-Reigns going so long tonight, I can't help but wonder if Rusev walks into an opening match spear to cut some time off the show.

15 minutes ago, caley said:

-Orton-Lesnar (Should go long to play up the Dream Match aspect, probably 30+)
-Rollins-Balor (Definitely will go long because it's their chance to put both over as the future, 30+)
-Banks-Charlotte (I can't imagine it going less than 20)

Orton/Lesnar might go 20+ with entrances. otherwise I doubt it goes more than 15. Sasha/Charlotte will go over 15, but it can easily be under 20. its been one of the problems they've had with Brock's current suplex focused destroyer gimmick. Rollins/Balor could go the distance though one would hope they avoid that. It was a mistake they already made with Rollins once before in that ladder match with Dean last year. All of the big NXT women's matches are under 20 sans the iron Man match. pretty sure Sasha's win was under 20.

20 minutes ago, caley said:

How does Rusev-Reigns get any time?  I wonder if someone is getting the Sheamus-Bryan 11 second treatment?  With Rusev-Reigns going so long tonight, I can't help but wonder if Rusev walks into an opening match spear to cut some time off the show.

Is the show not 4 hours? Unless they add the guys you mentioned to the pre-show I can see it getting a normal amount of time.

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

There's only two ways this match can go now:  1) Reigns wins clean again or 2) Rusev cheats to retain and extend the feud to Clash of Champions, with a possible rubber match at Hell in a Cell (if that's still a Raw PPV).

Gotta be honest, though--it feels that Lana is going to become a 'prize' in all this.  She's already lost her honor, it's the next logical step. Like, if Rusev cheats to win on Sunday, Lana bolts on him in some fashion.  Because he couldn't regain her respect clean. She was already giving him death stares tonight. Yeesh. At least it doesn't seem as forced as last year's mess.  Probably because no one involved comes off sleazy like Ziggler.

Gotta be honest. It feels like Rusev should attack Reigns with an actual sickle and hammer until he's bludgeoned into a coma then six months from now when he wakes up with a fresh case of amnesia Ryback can randomly show back up and trick Reigns into thinking they are The Powers Of Pain who got so high and drunk with the New Breed, they borrowed their time machine and ended up in this alternate shitbox reality.

• Like 1

The way Demon King seductively slithered and slinked down to the ring I think he's the real killer from that Poughkeepsie Tapes documentary. He's a certifiable creeper. But naw seriously little shit looks like he co-opted the Tazmaniac and Boogie Man's gimmicks with added bonus Michael Hutchence party favors attached to his customized headdress.

2 hours ago, caley said:

Am I the only one who is bored of Brock and Heyman?  Brock's thing about not caring about Slater's kids was great but the beatdown was...mediocre.  Maybe it's because I just watched Mil Muertes murder Fenix, or maybe because Donovan Dijak's beating of Lio Rush was more impressive on ROH last week, but it just felt like Brock-By-Numbers: "Suplex, suplex, F5".  If Brock was so offended at being interrupted, shouldn't he have pummeled him some more?  Done something else?  Even Heyman feels like he's phoning in the "Brrrrrrrrrocks" lately.  It's just kinda "My client Brawk Lesnar" with Brawk sounding like onomatopoeia for a fart.  I can't even begin how boring a sleepwalking Lesnar versus Orton match is going to be.  I'm at the point where I'm actually excited for Brock Lesnar to go home for a while.  I never thought I'd say that.

See, this was how I felt about Brock's response to being RKO'd. Why the hell didn't he follow up the F5 the very next night on Smackdown by turning Orton's face into hamburger meat? Now while they can't even try to do that for obvious reasons (they'd need color from Orton to even make it look credible, even maybe of the unintentional variety like the very first Brock/Cena pull-apart brawl when Cena got his mouth busted) it just comes off as so contrived that a guy who's supposed to be this uncaged, unleashed, unrepentant animal answers some asshole's stupid flash finisher sneak attack with a quick little cameo and his own finisher.

47 minutes ago, Omega said:

The fan that jumped in the ring had a Knife on him

Rollins is a decent enough heel, but his heat is not nearly nuclear enough to make me want to shiv the guy. 

I think the only heels I wished physical kayfabe harm on were Johnny Valentine and Randy Savage.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Rollins is a decent enough heel, but his heat is not nearly nuclear enough to make me want to shiv the guy. 

I think the only heels I wished physical kayfabe harm on were Johnny Valentine and Randy Savage.

Not the Andersons (ole and gene)?

2 hours ago, Omega said:

The fan that jumped in the ring had a Knife on him

There is a bigger issue at stake here. If you are a fan who is going to jump in the ring at a show where Brock Lesnar is on the card and you don't do it when Brock Lesnar is in the ring...well, sir, then you are a fucking pussy. 

I'm sorry, but it had to be said. 

• Like 4

I enjoyed that my wife - besides immediately mocking Foley for the amount of dye in his beard - was able to immediately realize how much talking was on the show and she basically only pays attention when the women are out.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I enjoyed that my wife - besides immediately mocking Foley for the amount of dye in his beard - was able to immediately realize how much talking was on the show and she basically only pays attention when the women are out.

I was told to dye my beard a good 8 years ago and I fucking refused. Rock that grey: you've earned it!

6 hours ago, caley said:

That said, if it was Heath Slater refusing to stay down and fighting for his life against Brock Lesnar, I would 100% be seeking the match out.

I was saying this last night but if they had had Slater recover and jump Brock - all my britches would have gone out the window.

I mean Brock's kills him again but they could have gotten Slater over in less than 10 seconds

• Like 1

I finally googled "Night Mayor".

It's basically a liaison between night clubs and the government in Amsterdam.

So Paul just thought it sounded cool and started saying it for no reason?

All snark aside, can someone explain to me why they are so high on Balor? He's undersized. He has five moves (not an exaggeration) none of which look particularly hurty. He's not a great promo. His matches arent compelling.  I know he does the demon stuff, but that's kind of a one trick pony. I don't get it. 

7 hours ago, piranesi said:

Is it worrying that when Neville came out to face Jinder Mahal, I really wasn't sure who was there to be enhancement?

Much like Zayn, Neville is grinding his gears until the Cruiserweight division goes into effect. A shame, really.

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'd rather Lana cheat to win with a high heel to the face on Reigns than ANYTHING you guys are terrifying me with right now

Trust me, I'm not keen on the possibility.  But based on how they've set up the angle, they're at least entertaining the idea.  I have no issue with goofy gimmicks and kooky stories.  It's wrestling, it's par for the course.  But you don't have Rusev putting his wife's "honor" on the line and then losing said "honor" without that becoming a part of the angle. 

Then again, it's WWE.  They may forget about this in a week.

10 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Did Heyman utter the phrase "Beast in heat?" This can only mean one thing for Orton at Summerslam: TKO'd by DETHRAPE, 3:12 1st Round.

Pretty much like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but not mercifully invisible.