DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 9/8/16

*Taped for Xplosion: Robbie E def. Andrew Everett

TNA Impact Wrestling - Airing September 8, 2016 from Orlando, FL

*Mike Bennett came out for a promo. Bennett talked about being better than everyone and blamed Moose for him not winning the world championship last week. Bennett says he fired Moose via text message and he still wants the world title. Dixie Carter interrupts and announces they have officially signed Moose so it will be Moose vs. Mike Bennett at Bound for Glory

*Gail Kim & Jade def. Sienna & Allie when Jade pinned Allie after Sienna & Allie fought with each other.

*Billy Corgan comes out for an in-ring promo. Corgan announces the King of the Mountain championship is officially retired and reveals the new Impact Grand Championship. This new championship will be decided in matches consisting of three 3 minute rounds and a point system along with the use of ringside judges. There will be a tournament to crown the first champion with the final taking place at Bound for Glory. Drew Galloway interrupts followed by Aron Rex. They argue until Corgan announces Galloway is up first in the tournament..

*Drew Galloway def. Braxton Sutter via submission in round 3 to advance. After the match, Rockstar Spud attacked Sutter and stomped his head on an exposed turnbuckle.

*Eli Drake def. Jessie Godderz after Blunt Force Trauma in round 1 to advance in the Impact Grand tournament.

*Delete or Decay airs here from the Hardy Compound

Interesting concept...

updated further

The Grand Championship as designed by Wildcat Belts:

93QyWeu.jpg

Looks like the original plan for the belt may have been for it to be the new World Championship, but then TNA decided to use it as a Grand Championship instead.

2 hours ago, NickMD said:

Whoever came up with that line deserves a raise.  Which in TNA's case would be a voucher for something off the dollar menu at McDonald's.

Nah, gotta' at least be Wendy's for that line.

• Like 1

Well that was some goofy shit.   The morale of that spectacle is that just because it has more production values doesn't mean it is a better product. 

That poor Maxel is going to be one screwed up kid.  He has no chance of being normal.  

I guess TNA has a European tour coming soon because you would think that Jeff Hardy would be considered too hurt.  Although this is TNA so it will probably be just ignored

Is there any chance Maxel doesn't end up in wrestling as an adult and leads a happy, well adjusted life? Have those opportunities already been deleted?

I hope Senor Benjamin is wearing corpsepaint next week. I'd like to see brainwashed Decay Senor Benjamin. 

Loved it as well. The operatic version of Obsolete in the first scene was great. The zoo scene was hysterical, Matt calling the spot monkeys the names of the X Division guys cracked me up. The battle was an amazing movie scene all the way through. Senor Benjamin is classic, a definite highlight of the whole episode throughout, love the taser. "Brother Nero! That was ... unselfish" Rosemary is awesome, love her and her character. Also the truck driver turning on the radio and hearing Smashing Pumpkins "1979" then changing it to "In the Pines" was a funny little touch. And this was only the first battle of the Great War. I kinda wish the BFG match could take place at the Hardy Compound too.

Elsewhere, I say it every week but Lashley continues to be just the best. Awesome character, absolutely killed it in the press conference. Comes off like a total mega star. Definitely one of my overall favorites with great work in the ring and the mic. The Impact Grand matches were fun but don't feel quite that revolutionary as it was portrayed. Bennett/Moose story was fun, Bennett's colorful outfits are always amusing.

Lashley was great there just speaking the truth. He was basically admitting that TNA has a horrible reputation but as long as he's the champ, there's only so much shit people can talk about it.

It feels like EC3 is going to win the title but I really don't think that Lashley's reign has come close to cooling off yet. I like EC3 but he does still feel like a level below Lashley.

Those Grand Prix Matches were really nothing special. I don't really feel like they have the right roster for this concept to be successful.

• Like 1

Lashley was awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with EC3.  The press conference was hokey with the fan in front of the camera doing with EC3 taunt but I liked the brawl. Also liked the women's match. Mainly because Maria wasn't involved. Grand Prix matches were pretty dull. I don't get why companies keep trying to do concepts like this. They never pan out past the first month or so.

• Like 2

I totally get the Grand Prix idea but it still needs a tweak or two.  For one thing, who are those judges and why should they have so much say in these matches?  It would make more sense if you used a couple agents/older wrestlers that you have nearby or on payroll (Al Snow, Simond Diamond, D'Lo etc. not sure how many of them are still around) and then for the championship matches bring in a bigger name (Terry Funk etc.).

I think the biggest mistake was making a big deal about announcing the judges and the scoring, then having the first and second matches both end before using a judge's decision.  I think you book the first match Drew-Braxton where MacIntyre keeps crushing Sutter, who keeps mounting a fury at the end of the rounds to keep him in it.  Then have Drew unable to put him away, by finally winning on points.  Would get the concept more over.  Bummed that Arron Rex is facing Trevor Lee next week, because I think this is the kind of environment that could really suit Lee and I'd like to see him sneak into the second round but there's no way Rex is losing in his debut.

• Like 1

Lashley going old school and taking the champion makes the title attitude was fucking aces. He will take this fed on his back and carry it kicking and screaming to greatness!

Decay vs. Delete was really good but not quite on par with The Final Deletion... not that anything could leap over the high bar set by that awesome absurdity. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Lashley going old school and taking the champion makes the title attitude was fucking aces. He will take this fed on his back and carry it kicking and screaming to greatness!

Decay vs. Delete was really good but not quite on par with The Final Deletion... not that anything could leap over the high bar set by that awesome absurdity. 

Agreed on both. Rewatching the press conference, that's one of my favorite promos of the year in wrestling from Lashley, killer work.

Yeah, Lashley was on another level there. It's a shame it turned into a generic pre-PPV brawling angle because I thought they did an excellent job building up the match verbally. Next time they do a press conference, they should actually have some press there and not just 50-year-old dorks waving their arms.

Rosemary is so good. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2016 at 3:58 AM, Raziel403 said:

Because if anything ever worked out well in Pro Wrestling, it's rounds...

World of Sport ran from 1965 to 1985 on ITV, and the Wrestling was still on for three years after that (and was taken off the air prematurely). And that's without mentioning Lucha. Or... more or less every other combat sport in the world that has rounds (and judges).

EDIT: Has Billy Corgan's left hand always been purple? Because it was when he was unveiling the new Grand Championship.