DVDVR Message Board

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor II (8/20/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

LOL "professionals they are"

If the Diaz brothers weren't professional fighters I'm pretty sure they'd be in more fights, which kind of means they are professionals.  They only really get into fights in a cage or before or after they just fought in a cage. 

It reminded me of the Bowe-Golota brawl where George Foreman was telling folks not to enter the ring. You couldn't see Foreman saying it (because the camera was focused on the chaos), but you can hear pandemonium and what can be only presumed as people jumping on top of the commentary table to get in the ring. 

Luckily nobody got hurt but since apparently they thought throwing actual cans instead of plastic was a good idea.  Although I would assume Dana would just insult the person that got hurt and call him a pussy.   and given a good portion of the media they would probably apologize for getting in the way.

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Luckily nobody got hurt but since apparently they thought throwing actual cans instead of plastic was a good idea.  Although I would assume Dana would just insult the person that got hurt and call him a pussy.   and given a good portion of the media they would probably apologize for getting in the way.

I doubt that would happen since the UFC is liable for anything that goes down like. If it was just the fighters, they would only have to answer to the commission. Anytime you involve people (including the media) outside of that, you can get into serious trouble if someone decides they want to be litigious all of a sudden. Plus, you don't want that to overshadow an event you have going on in three days. The stuff between Nate and Conor isn't bad press. However, someone suffering bodily harm from two or three guys slinging shit 20-30 feet across the room definitely is.

If I was UFC, honestly, I would think about banning Shields from coming to these public events. He isn't even under UFC contract, and he is a part of these things. He was involved in that mini melee at the UFC 196 final press conference too. You can't have someone who isn't part of the UFC doing shit that could get the UFC in trouble.

49 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If I was UFC, honestly, I would think about banning Shields from coming to these public events. He isn't even under UFC contract, and he is a part of these things. He was involved in that mini melee at the UFC 196 final press conference too. You can't have someone who isn't part of the UFC doing shit that could get the UFC in trouble.

Looking at the ESPN story on the presser, it looks like both teams involved in that have been banned from the weigh-ins tomorrow. That's a start.

i rather hope Diaz puts another L on Conor's record.

still hoping we get that Rumble/Jones match. With everything Jones being up in the air right now tho, it's hard to fantasy book.

should be a good card. and the first i can watch live in like 3 months. can't wait.

31 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i rather hope Diaz puts another L on Conor's record.

still hoping we get that Rumble/Jones match. With everything Jones being up in the air right now tho, it's hard to fantasy book.

should be a good card. and the first i can watch live in like 3 months. can't wait.

I think Diaz beats him pretty handily.  Conor uses his length and aggression to overwhelm his opponents with his power and his pressure.  Diaz is longer and more aggressive than Conor and is a much better defensive fighter.  Diaz for all of his faults really understands how to move his feet and his head to keep his opponent reaching to him and punishing his opponent while they are in his striking distance.  Conor's biggest problem in this fight is that his entire fighting style fits perfectly into Diaz' gameplan.  McGregor doesn't really kick his opponent's legs, doesn't really wrestle, and his defense is dependent on his reach.  After their first fight, Diaz did an interview where he was talking about how he didn't have time to do any sparring before the fight, because he took the fight on 11 days notice.  He said he knew it would take him a bit to get his timing down, but was surprised how quickly he was able to figure out everything McGregor was trying to do.  Diaz has great boxing fundamentals, and has great craft.  Diaz is a devastating fighter once he figures out his opponents strategy.  He knows how to chain offense and defense together in way that keeps his opponent guessing, especially when he's not worried about leg kicks and takedowns.  Diaz has had a full camp, will be in great shape, and has one of the best chins in the business.  If Conor doesn't knock Diaz out with one big shot, I don't see how he withstands Diaz' constant, super accurate offense.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I think Diaz beats him pretty handily.  Conor uses his length and aggression to overwhelm his opponents with his power and his pressure.  Diaz is longer and more aggressive than Conor and is a much better defensive fighter.  Diaz for all of his faults really understands how to move his feet and his head to keep his opponent reaching to him and punishing his opponent while they are in his striking distance.  Conor's biggest problem in this fight is that his entire fighting style fits perfectly into Diaz' gameplan.  McGregor doesn't really kick his opponent's legs, doesn't really wrestle, and his defense is dependent on his reach.  After their first fight, Diaz did an interview where he was talking about how he didn't have time to do any sparring before the fight, because he took the fight on 11 days notice.  He said he knew it would take him a bit to get his timing down, but was surprised how quickly he was able to figure out everything McGregor was trying to do.  Diaz has great boxing fundamentals, and has great craft.  Diaz is a devastating fighter once he figures out his opponents strategy.  He knows how to chain offense and defense together in way that keeps his opponent guessing, especially when he's not worried about leg kicks and takedowns.  Diaz has had a full camp, will be in great shape, and has one of the best chins in the business.  If Conor doesn't knock Diaz out with one big shot, I don't see how he withstands Diaz' constant, super accurate offense.  

Conor can't stand back and admire his own offense. Many times, Conor does that Roy Jones Jr. thing where he waits for the punishment to soak in. As the Henderson and Dos Anjos fights can attest to, Nate can take an insane amount of punishment. Moreover, a good percentage of that punishment was on the ground. That's what makes what Conor did in that first fight inefficient in terms of gameplanning. Admiring your work and expecting to win to a long boxing match is not going to work for McGregor. He needs the right mix of standup and GnP. Nate can't hurt McGregor if he is laying flat on his back. He can throw up a nice looking triangle or armbar, but that jab is useless on the ground. That's why if I am Conor's grappling coach or sparring partner, I am helping him with his trips and upper body takedowns from the clinch. Kavanagh and Owen Roddy can't have him out there freestyling.