DVDVR Message Board

CMLL 83rd Anniversario

odessasteps

From cubs:

CMLL (FRI) 09/02/2016 Arena México
1) Amapola, Dalys, Zeuxis vs Lluvia, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit
2) Ephesto, Mephisto, Shocker vs Marco Corleone, Máximo, Stuka Jr.
3) Súper Crazy vs Rey Bucanero [hair]
4) Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas vs Atlantis, Carístico, Máscara Dorada
5) Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero [CMLL TRIOS]
7th defense
6) Dragón Lee vs La Máscara [mask]

I know everyone's thinking Mascara loses but WWE came very close to bringing in Dragon Lee earlier this year, no? It was just the injury that kept him out of the CWC. Could this be another case like Sombra where he's going and will lose on the way out?

19 hours ago, zev said:

How often are hair and/or mask matches ran in Mexico? And, is having one of each on a single show very rare?

CMLL runs 4-8 a year. AAA does less. Indie promotions can be totally random. CMLL's done two mask/hair matches on most recent Anniversary shows, so this is expected at this point and it'd be a surprise if they didn't have two.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I know everyone's thinking Mascara loses but WWE came very close to bringing in Dragon Lee earlier this year, no? It was just the injury that kept him out of the CWC. Could this be another case like Sombra where he's going and will lose on the way out?

WWE's cool with Mascara Dorada being masked and he's not losing his mask on the way out, so I don't think that would affect Dragon Lee's status. (A lot has changed  in a year.)

My hunch is, for the moment, the Dragon Lee to WWE window is closed - WWE's going to have plenty of cruiserweight people to sort thru for the next few months, doesn't seem to have any clear plan on how they're going to be used, and both Metalik and Mendoza have done well enough that they can already fill the Mexican slots - and this is a dead topic until the next Cruiserweight Classic comes up.

I'd hope that Dragon Lee being announced to ROH is a sign ROH & CMLL have talked about their plans a bit, and CMLL wouldn't be sending a recently unmasked guy who's on his way out. 

• Like 1

Yea, they were definitely out of the loop. The difference is ROH's announced something and NJPW had not - they might have planned to bring him in for the tag league, but they hadn't told CMLL (and Sombra said talking the NJPW officials at the Anniversary show was the first time he'd talked to them recently.) 

I guess I could see CMLL being so dismissive of the deal with ROH that they would not keep them in the loop on something that would affect them, but it'd be strange even for them to do so in the earliest stages of it.