DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II

The Natural

The main event was great.  I guess everyone was expecting them to have a NEVER Openweight title match and got disappointed when it wasn't, but there was nothing wrong with the match they gave us.  While it might not have been the most thrilling choice for filling the middle portion of the match, it makes sense that Joe would think it wise to grind out Nakamura on the mat rather than trade blows with him all night.

• Like 1

Tag match was really wonderful with more '80s heel tag team shtick from The Revival. Only thing I would've liked to see is an ode to 6/9/95 with Ciampa crawling to save Gargano but still a tremendous match. Revival, so hot right now. Revival.

Thought the crowd was outstanding during intros but not so hot during the matches. The Texas crowd was better but I only started watching during the Roode/Cien match.

Poor Andrade. They need to develop his character and/or turn him heel. He looks to have made the switch from working the right to working the left pretty well, but we still haven't seen a fraction of what this guy is capable of. Roode is a babyface heel, so they need to sort that out soon.

Asuka/Bayley was not good. Both were sloppy throughout but it was more of Bayley's weak offense looking out of place against Asuka that took me out of the match early. The sloppiness felt like it was due to the two of them being on completely different wavelengths. The finish felt rushed and didn't connect to the bigger story arc or even the layers built up early on. Bayley should do wonders on the main roster but it's a bit sad that she's going out on this sour note.

Joe/Nakamura was also a letdown but I had the highest of expectations. I hope Joe is okay and they come back with a better rematch that they surely have in them.

The huge success of both the booking and execution of Takeovers past have really built up expectations. This was a fine show from what I saw, but it felt weak when juxtaposed with the majority of Takeovers.

• Like 1

Surprised anyone thought this show was better than The End. Revival, Asuka, and Nakamura all had better matches on that show.

The tag title match was really good, though. Dash and Dawson did the awesome Indian deathlock/leg stomp, so between that the O-face and the G2S, I got to see a lot of my favorite moves on one show.

This show was good.  I think maybe my expectations were so high it hurt it a bit for me.

Tag titles were great. Women's title was good.  Main event was solid but left me a little flat.  Something just didn't flow right or click between those two (though Joe's jaw will click forevermore).

Ember Moon was cool. Roode is great with the character stuff but match wise he feels out of place.  His entrance was glorious indeed.

Jose/Aries was nice.  Not much of an Aries guy but liked him here.  He and Itami could produce some good stuff.

• Like 1

I dug the show. I was out for a friend's birthday so I came in at the finish of the tag match, watched the rest live, then went back to watch what I'd missed.

No Way Jose vs. Aries - Lots of fun. I'm in the unpopular opinion club but outside his super hot TNA run in 2011-12 and his RoH tag reign with Roddy, I've always found Aries super overrated. The low tope is a blast but I dunno...I find his stuff sorta stilted and forced without a guiding hand. Jose held his own though and they kept it smart and compact as a match. Jose had some fire on his offense, but between his windup punch and a few of the moves he threw out here (the TKO!) that dancing slam sucks as a finish. Anyway, I liked this but it felt like a victim of the 'Welp. Time to end now.' syndrome, as signified by just throwing out a finish off a missed move or something instead of really building it. Still good stuff. Nice to see Itami and his slippers regaining his move. Nice to see Graves point out he invented it.

Ember Moon vs. Billie Kay - It was a five minute sorta competitive squash. Fine enough but I don't know that it was worth the time here or building up Billie Kay for. The women's division has a lot of promising talent coming up, but it's a shambles post callups. If Bayley goes they have Ember, Asuka, and a bunch of jobbers. Need to start building people stat.

Roode vs. Almas was fun. Roode is an AMAZING old school heel, having two of the last great Sting matches to his credit and he got to show that here. The one thing about his gen of TNA folks is that they're TV ready in a way a lot of indy guys aren't. Almas seems to be figuring out how to do the face thing. Roode has four other finishers I can think of off my head better than a pumphandle slam, but the Roode Bomb looks like the AA, Fisherman's and Crossface have Hennig/Benoit connotations, and he hasn't used the Northern Lariat in years. It's whatever. Hoping he gets fast tracked to the main roster because he could easily fit right into the SD main event scene honestly. I clearly don't remember much about this match but I liked it, so hey.

Revival vs. Garganzola Chomper - Awesome. Revival heat segments meet indy finishing sequence in a pretty much perfect fusion. Those complaining about Ciampa as FiP may be forgetting he got there after a run as hot tag. I love multiple heat segments. Great energy, amazing nearfalls had me biting often. I think DIY are the guys to dethrone Revival eventually but a longer chase is fine by me.

Asuka vs Bayley - Big match feel. Asuka with the epic entrance. The first match was a lot of Bayley not knowing how to handle Asuka and just trying to throw out stuff that worked in the past and clinch finishers without the setup (Guillotine that beat Nia. Sub that beat Sasha.) And it failed because it was 100% desperation the whole way. This time she comes ready to fight, brings her best. Survives the strikes. Overcomes the Asuka Lock. Fires off the B2B...and still fails because Asuka is just too much for her. She had the confidence but fought hard more than smart and died a totally different death than last time. Great stuff. If callups weren't a factor I'd want a third where Bayley puts it together but they are so this is fine.

Joe vs Naka - I dug it. Starts violent but Joe realizes he's going to lose a punchout and takes it to the mat instead. As he got more comfortable he kept letting that anger boil over and turning it into a punchout only to have his shit kicked in again. Finishing run was fun with well spaced nearfalls and finisher kickouts that were built well enough to be credible, something I appreciate in the age of popping up and hitting your finisher tit for tat shit. Ultimately Joe loses for the same reason he lost to Finn the second time...Naka got in his head, made him sloppy, and used that to get him to wrestle against his best interests. Finish looked ugly. Hope Joe's jaw is just a stinger and not busted as he too belongs in the SD main event scene.

Really fun show overall. Probably outperformed tomorrow's six hour abomination. Good times.

I have to watch the start of the show. I saw it from the tag title match on. I was tempted to get some last minute cheap tickets on stubhub, but it looked pretty packed on television so I guess it must of not been too bad with all the seats.

The Revival are so the new Arn and Tully and it's great. I thought they were going to lose but I also remembered they were probably going to be The Quebecer's in Gargano's & Ciampa's Bret/Owen deal. I thought for sure after Johnny lost by the submission Ciampa was going to kick the shit out of his leg. Most of Brooklyn would have applauded such a move. We salute a good leg being broken.

Bayley/Asuka was a really good match. I would have liked it if one of them just worked full out heel. Asuka was leaning it at times, but it was that mutual respect stuff that NXT always goes for with the women in these big matches. I'd just love to see Asuka tear someone apart and be all " I CAN NOT BE BEATEN. NOT BY SASHA, NOT BY BECKY, NOT BY CHARLOTTE, NOT BY BAYLEY, NOT ANY ONE". The crowd would pop for it anyway because it's a new era. We love people who can back up shit talk like that. I liked the ending though. Bayley being all "THAT THE BEST YOU GOT" and me being "please stop making her angry" and she hit her with those kicks. I was all...well, she's dead. Long reign Asuka.

Joe/Nakamura was really good. I don't know what people were expecting with this match. I mean it's the WWE. It's not like it's Japan or ROH and they were just gonna stiff the hell out of each other and do some head dropping (though we did get some....that German...damn). I really was hoping Joe would win. Nakamura didn't need to win the title, but it should be a fun rematch assuming Joe didn't get really hurt.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm pretty sure that "Sanity" promo is for "Crazy" Mary Dobson.

I've seen that or Tommy End

it does seem odd (in either case) that they would run something like that for someone who hasn't even started at the performance center yet

I also figured Almas was going to lose (poor Sombra).

They then put him in a match with the third most over guy with THAT crowd

That said - I have seen from multiple people who were there - that he had won over at least half the crowd by the end... and then he had to lose to Roode's shitty finisher

Sigh

• Like 1

The wife (who is NOT a fan of the Sport of Kings) told me last night to "enjoy your show... and it IS a show." Yes, just like the entire run of Gilmore Girls she's been burning through for the last 6 weeks. :lol:

• Like 1

The women were ROCKING the threads today, so many freakin cool use of cloth.

O-face should be called Blood Moon Rising.

Glorious entrance with glorious timing. No, seriously, Roode and the production crew had the timing down pat!

Hype video was for repackaged Lorcan?

So many epic entrances in this show. Nak's live entrance, I could easily imagine a string quartet or just a dozen or so violinists playing him in for WM.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and I am sure I'm the only one but I can't believe they gave away the GTS during a shitty run with Itami and those stupid shoes and no fucking socks

Made perfect sense to do it here. He's reclaiming his move on their biggest show of the year in front of a 5-figure crowd. 

• Like 1

Bobby Roode looks like a star, talks like a star, carries himself like a star...and wrestles like the lesser half of a tag team with Buddy Lee Parker. A pumphandle slam finish in 2016 is something else. And not something good. 

• Like 9

Just finished watching the three title matches. Two great ones in Revival vs. Johnny Gargano/Ciampla and Asuka vs. Bayley. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Samoa Joe was good but lacking.

Match of the night was the tag team match for Revival’s cheating, the double team moves and the near falls. I really enjoyed this match.

I’m not sure if I preferred Asuka vs. Bayley I or the rematch here. I liked how Bayley tried flash pins and throwing her body at Asuka but even though she escaped the Asuka lock, she still lost with the two kicks to the head. The post match felt like Bayley’s NXT farewell and was well done for the reception from the fans, Bayley hugging her fellow four horsewomen at ringside and Izzy.

As noted, Nakamura vs. Joe was good but was missing something. Shinsuke’s selling or lack of it can grate at times. Joe should have won here like he should have at NXT TakeOver: Dallas when Finn Balor retained the NXT Championship against him.

Aries-NWJ was fine. It helps AA and doesn't seem likely to hurt Jose. Aries-Itami will also be fine. 

I'm not sure I get Ember Moon yet, but the finisher was superb. 

Roode is wonderful until he has to do anything, and I hope Almas figures out his character soon. 

Revival are superb. I went in thinking they both should and would win, and over the course of the match I was turned to cheering for Gargano and Ciampa, even hoping that G&C would win after the foot on the rope spot. 

I wasn't too fond of either of the title matches. I don't think either pairing really clicked, and I think the main hurt Joe more than it helped Nak.