DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II

The Natural

Aries-NWJ was fine. It helps AA and doesn't seem likely to hurt Jose. Aries-Itami will also be fine. 

I'm not sure I get Ember Moon yet, but the finisher was superb. 

Roode is wonderful until he has to do anything, and I hope Almas figures out his character soon. 

Revival are superb. I went in thinking they both should and would win, and over the course of the match I was turned to cheering for Gargano and Ciampa, even hoping that G&C would win after the foot on the rope spot. 

I wasn't too fond of either of the title matches. I don't think either pairing really clicked, and I think the main hurt Joe more than it helped Nak. 

The tag titles match was probably my favorite on the show, but as much as I like the Revival sometimes they're so caught up in doing "the little things" that they can't see the forest from the trees. The body of the matches are sort of meandering, then they have amazing finishing stretches that have the crowd going nuclear. This was an issue with every match on the card to be fair. 

I don't blame Joe in particular for the main event being lackluster, but he does have a habit of wanting to go to the mat with guys that have good grappling reps even if it doesn't necessarily make sense for the match. Nak is so fun to watch, but he has his formula. Joe, on the other hand, was fucking terrifying once the match moved towards striking offense; just some nasty looking stuff. 

It was a fun card with great atmosphere. They can't all be Dallas. 

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I've seen that or Tommy End

it does seem odd (in either case) that they would run something like that for someone who hasn't even started at the performance center yet

I thought it might be for the tag team of Alexander Wolfe and Sawyer Fulton.

So it's only a matter of time before Roode comes out and his them cut the music so he can berate the fans that they're not allowed to sing along with his music, right?

Maybe WWE needs to send Tommy Dreamer to Orlando to have a Suspenders intervention with Almas.

• Like 3

Also - and I need to phrase this as vaguely as possible for reasons

There will be a point in time when y'all realize how much better the finish to the tag match was than you think it is now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Also - and I need to phrase this as vaguely as possible for reasons

There will be a point in time when y'all realize how much better the finish to the tag match was than you think it is now

I saw you said this on Twitter, and I assumed it was related to

Spoiler

the CWC?

Yeah it felt like Ciampa was exuding quiet menace during the post-match and him having been all "I made us merch so we can be tag team buddies forever" beforehand made me think he was turning on Gargano sooner than later

Itami has seemed a bit more Kenta-y since coming back in general, hopefully he can get a good run now that he can do his own finishers

Don't get why Ember went from the WCW-does-Mortal-Kombat style ominous vignettes and entrance to immediately being an excited happy babyface; match was flat but the main thing was that she hit her finish I guess

Roode does pretty much need to spend a month demanding the crowd stop singing along to his theme song and then retire it out of spite if he wants to stay heel at this point

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That is an amazing name for a tag team and 1 billion times better than #DIY.

Related to tag names, when Samoa Joe faced Mojo Rawley on NXT I got immediately disappointed they couldn't team as Samojo Jojo.

1 hour ago, The Z said:

I thought it might be for the tag team of Alexander Wolfe and Sawyer Fulton.

I also heard it may be Eric Young returning from the void.

• Like 3

Pro Wrestling Insider is saying that Sanity is a faction and the scuttle is that Eric Young will be the one leading it

I am going to be putting this one in the Rippa was right category

I did love that as Bobby Roode was being lowered to the ground from his pedestal, he couldn't resist cracking a "holy shit, this is awesome" smile on the way down as the fans are singing along with the entrance. I am going to be disappointed if it goes away in a month though due to fans singing along with it though and them wanting to keep Roode heel. Also got a kick out of them recycling the original "JERICHO" reveal font for his name on the Titantron.

LOVED the tag team title match. Outside of a few higher-impact modern moves, I could imagine this match blowing the roof of a gym in South Carolina circa 1975-1985. Kind of looking forward to them (hopefully) running Authors of Pain vs The Revival down the road being a modern-day Road Warriors vs Tully/Arn.

Bayley vs Asuka was exactly what I was hoping for it to be, and I think what it needed to be for what I assume is Bayley's NXT farewell.

I ended up digging Joe vs Nakamura in the end, but yeah, it started off WAY too slow and for too long before heating up. Though I admit I was pulling for a Dallas-style full-on brawl. Really hoping that Joe isn't hurt too seriously.

• Like 2

This was a pretty hit or miss Takeover - but the last three matches were something else. Bayley vs. Asuka wasn't as good as the first, but still incredible. Joe vs. Nakamura didn't really get out of second gear - and wasn't the match you would think of imaging their first-ever match - it was still very good and had a great intro for Nak though. The tag team title match was easily the match of the night, with incredible '80s basic heel work that still works because it plays on human psychology, which never changes.

The undercard was highlighted by Roode's entrance, and the Aries vs. Jose match. Jose came off like a bigger star with the big conga line and held up his end of the match just fine. Aries won as he should've, while Roode did - but badly needs a new finisher. The pumphandle slam was BENEATH THE ROAD DOGG as a finish 18 years ago, and is awful now. But if anyone can it over, he can - and the Glorious Bomb name is good, it's just a shame he can't use a TKO variant since the Death Valley Driver is off-limits due to Cena.

http://insidepulse.com/2016/08/21/nxt-takeover-brooklyn-ii-recap-samoa-joe-vs-nakamura-bayley-vs-asuka/

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/h1ubxii8e0yxu1azn5z0kwpcdqpcln32

• Like 2

Loved when they were doing the "what was I doing 1 year ago" at the beginning and they went to Aries and Roode and it complete awkwardness.   You know they were wishing to say what they were really doing but don't blame them

Except for maybe the Briscoes and in certain cases the Young Bucks there isn't a team better than the Revival in the world.  Better than American Alpha in my opinion because they are such masters of the important thing in being a heel tag team:  double team maneuvers (yeah mostly stolen from Tully and Arn but who cares it is awesome) and distract the ref spots.   I don't know if I have ever seen someone accidentally fall off the ropes as a way to distract the ref from seeing a pin.  I really don't know what is next for them especially since you have to Authors of Pain are next champs in line

I think the description from the previous page about how Roode is everything until he actually wrestles is one of the bigger issues with him.  if you are going to give him a title run then he needs to have more impactful moves.  I mean if you though him beating Almas with a move from 1995 was unrealistic imagine doing that to a Samoa Joe or Nakamura.  

After a rewatch, the tag title match was probably the second best Revival match of the year, and at this point I'd be inclined to give them co-MVPs for the year. They incorporate all those old-school tag tropes with just enough style to fit in the 2010s aesthetic without looking like relics from the past (unlike Bobby Roode in the ring). Plus their finishing runs are top notch. I disagree with the assessment that Ciampa shouldn't have been the face in peril. In most instances, it's probably true, but the crowd was hotter for Gargano here. Ciampa did a great job with his spacing and timing on the "near tag" spots and his desperation escapes had a lot of energy to pop the crowd. All 4 guys showed they have a great understanding of working for a modern audience, as everything in this match got the right reaction. Some bonus greatness was Sasha leading the "increasing tempo clap" when Ciampa was in a chinlock during the heat segment.

The women's title match was slightly better on second watch. It looked like they were going for Brock/Roman at first, but it started to meander in the last third until the awesome finishing sequence. The botch in the middle certainly didn't help, although I would've given the match a million billion stars if Bayley did the ganso bomb when she had the chance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well shocker the WWE used a company that was popular 10 years ago to make it

Well, that company already makes the centerplate frame of 3 of their Championship Belts, so it makes sense that they would use them for a unique trophy.

2 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I disagree with the assessment that Ciampa shouldn't have been the face in peril. In most instances, it's probably true, but the crowd was hotter for Gargano here. Ciampa did a great job with his spacing and timing on the "near tag" spots and his desperation escapes had a lot of energy to pop the crowd.

Yeah, I totally agree; I actually thought having the guy capable of busting out the big strikes every once in a while as the face in peril added a nice wrinkle.