DVDVR Message Board

Summerslam XXIX

Dolfan in NYC

The best part of Rusev's brawl was he stood up and was still gonna walk to the back on his own. Jim Ross would have been putting him over about how "bah gawd bowling show ugly tough the son of a bitch is". Reigns is a bad guy. Why are we supposed to cheer for him? All my sympathy is for Rusev in this. He's the good guy. He's the one I want to see win now. He's the one that must conquer. I was almost hoping he was going to grab the microphone and be all IS THAT ALL YOU GOT PUNY ROCK COUSIN? I'M STILL STANDING.

Rusev is so awesome. Roman is good, but he's never going to be "the guy" they think he will be. No amount of marketing, making him look badass, what ever, will do it.

Brock/Orton was every bit the trainwreck I knew it was going to be. Brock matches ever since he's come back have been all about him killing people and that ending was brutal. Man, I really hope they didn't set up a tease for Brock vs. Shane. I mean we all know Shane is crazy...

Overall it was a fun show. The women's sixman...err woman could have been on the preshow. Jon Stewart has reverted back to Mid 90's Jon Stewart when he was never that funny at all. Oh yes...I remember his MTV Show.

Prop's to Cena having a Tokyo Dome match in Brooklyn. I think the more the crowd was saying he sucked the more pissed he got and was like "yeah, well suck on this". That's Brooklyn for you. We'll bring the hate out in anyone.

• Like 1

Interesting thought: Goldberg is the one to defeat Lesnar but then jobs to Reigns and you still keep Lesnar/Reigns on ice until the time is absolutely right to pull the trigger. A win over Goldberg still means something but since he has no cult following to speak of fans might actually get behind Reigns beating him. In that sense Reigns/Goldberg would have far less of a foregone conclusion feel to it than a lot of prospective mega-matchups they could make.

1 minute ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Interesting thought: Goldberg is the one to defeat Lesnar but then jobs to Reigns and you still keep Lesnar/Reigns on ice until the time is absolutely right to pull the trigger. A win over Goldberg still means something but since he has no cult following to speak of fans might actually get behind Reigns beating him. In that sense Reigns/Goldberg would have far less of a foregone conclusion feel to it than a lot of prospective mega-matchups they could make.

Last time Goldberg was in WWE, people were furious that he was forced to have competitive matches and lost to HHH twice and literally no one else. Dude has a weirdly intense following that will not accept anything other than 98 style pushes as valid. 

Also dude is 50 and has said he'd only come back for a one and done and only if he wins. So that's a thing.

Have to admit I find it funny watching people say Rusev is sympathetic when he started everything by jumping Roman like a fuckboy before the match started. I mean, Rusev is awesome, but he had that ass-whooping comin'.

• Like 3

here are my two thoughts

One: Cena/AJ Got me with the finish. I flipped my shit.

Two: finn balor vs. seth rollins is one of the most dull and stupid matches I've seen in a very long time, from superplex nosells to "I missed my double stomp oh hey what's in here A TRIANGLE OH NO" 

rest of the show didn't draw a strong enough response to be worth expanding upon, even in a sentence

• Like 1

I think quite a few on the main roster could believably beat Brock if they were built properly. Say: You want Brock to lose at Wrestlemania, you need to start building towards that now, have the guy you want to beat Brock, be it Owens, Joe, Roman, Wyatt, whoever really, just go on a tear and run through guys, give him a bunch of big clean wins over established names, with no real losses to speak of and then have Brock be the final boss. It's not too difficult of a concept to grasp but you need to think in the long term and in the era of 5 hours of TV time to fill a week it's harder to do these days.

29 minutes ago, Casey said:

Goddamnit.

PWInsider is saying Seth might have injured Balor with the God's Last Gift.

Whether this turns out to be true or not, that move is pretty terrible. It's a dangerous head-drop, and it requires the two wrestlers to entangle themselves into a little ball and then fall from a low height, so it also lacks visual impact. It's basically an object lesson in what pro wrestling moves shouldn't be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Baron Corbin doing the nervous side-to-side shuffle and cutting a bland promo. Rad.

Yeah his delivery isn't that great, but it's a great promo that gives him a character and a direction to go if they wish (though it's WWE, they won't)- he'd be a great mercenary to align with say, a Seth Rollins or Steph.

God bless the Smackdown Women. They really came to work but the crowd just didn't care at that point. I will say that having Nikki back is cool and I dig the new finisher. 

I was too worried about Sasha to really enjoy the Women's Title match. 

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:
  • I was actually a bit interested in the main event just beacuse I wanted to see if they'd book Brock to lose after his piss test for UFC. It was pretty boring except for the blood pack, but then the end was like, "Why is Shane brave enough to come out here, but not Bryan?" Like, I know why Bryan can't take an F5, but from a kayfabe standpoint, bad look for D-Bry. 

The whole Brand split GM thing has kinda sucked. Neither guy can take a bump, Bryan comes off as a hypocritical dick for treating a guy like Slater the way The Authority treated him, and Foley live is a bad idea in general because he comes off like he's got early stage Alzheimer's...