DVDVR Message Board

Summerslam XXIX

Dolfan in NYC

42 minutes ago, Big Fresh said:

I don't think I can watch another match where Seth Rollins is the heel. It's so antithetical to his skillset and I'm baffled why they keep trying to force the square peg into the round hole.

See also Reigns; Roman

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Omega said:

I think Brock was pissed at Randy for sandbagging his suplex's and legit busted him open for it.

That was the only thing I could think of. I can't imagine even Brock being able to get away with that though.

Can I also just go ahead and say fuck each and everyone of you who is going to vote for this Brock shit in March Madness next year?  Can I get on the record with that right now?

The finish to that match sucked, but it was 100% the finish that people who still get excited about Brock matches deserve.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

The difference between the cena/aj match and the finn/Seth matches is Cena and Styles are better at pacing out their moves and near falls and much better at portraying a range of emotions than the other two. And it's not even close. That style is not ideal but there are degrees within it.

Also Cena's character has been built as near unbeatable and the Cena epic has been the style to put dudes over after Punk, Bryan, and Owens.

Instead of thinking why they did that shit match 4, maybe question why two main event guys planning an epic, being allotted 25 minutes of matchtime...longest of the night, got put on fourth instead of second or third last. SD burial I'm telling you.

The match order was a disaster tonight in general though. Sasha-Charlotte on second was super dumb too. First or fourth would have made more sense. Anyway. 

All the talk of finisher killing but there was what? Four finisher kickouts in AJ/Cena? Neither sub is an instakill (anymore for the STF) so we have a Clash, AA, Forearm, and super AA. That's less than Roman-AJ, way less than any post MITB 11 Cena-Punk, less than Brock vs. Roman (vs. Seth) last year...it *felt* like a ton but they actually paced it out to build that epic feel with less nerfing than usual. There may have even been as much/more in their last match.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Fuck that, I saw Charlotte drop Sasha right on her neck. Explain what you saw, maybe we watched two different matches.

The super frankensteiner spot and some others where she either smashes her head or comes very close to it. They also tend to take too long to set up because they're nervous they might mess it up.

It's clear that Sasha comes into these big matches wanting to do some very risky spots she saw as a fan. She's already had a ton of injuries and now she's lost her title because it sounds like she came in hurt and needs more time off.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Big Fresh said:

I don't think I can watch another match where Seth Rollins is the heel. It's so antithetical to his skillset and I'm baffled why they keep trying to force the square peg into the round hole.

It's the Christian paradox. His character works better as a heel but his ringwork is better as a face. There's been other examples but that's a super notable one.

Rusev attacks Reigns after Reigns (sorta) unintentionally humiliates his wife. Rusev fights for his wifes honor after Reigns insults his manhood, and gets in a fight that results in him being hurt. After being pulled off him, Reigns (the face) still keeps on beating the shit out of a defenseless Rusev. Rusev manages to stand while clearly being established as dealing with an injury, only for Reigns to run out again, Spear him in his most likely broken ribs, all in front of Rusevs wife. Also worth noting, Reigns is the one that instigated all of this by coming out during Rusevs wedding celebration. Fuck Roman Reigns (not in a he can't work way, but in a his character is a dick way), go fuck that asshole up Rusev.

• Like 5

Just now, The Unholy Dragon said:

It's the Christian paradox. His character works better as a heel but his ringwork is better as a face. There's been other examples but that's a super notable one.

That is the paradox of Christian Slater in Heathers.

• Like 6

Have we not talked about Enzo almost dying (again) in the opener?  Because that was super nasty.  That was about as bad as when Daniels and Kazarian dropped Liger on his head that time.

I love Jericho the character right now, but he's constantly trying to do flashy stuff that he's just not quick or agile enough to pull off anymore.

Whether you liked AJ v. Cena or not you had to at least like what they did here with Cena. Not many people kick out of the top rope AA, I loved Cena looking on in shock and then after losing he drops the wristband in the middle of the ring like "maybe I just don't have it anymore" and he's gonna go back and find himself. It was more character development in one match than the past ten years. It might not go anywhere but I'm intrigued. They really put over AJ huge tonight.

The Balor stuff..  hey, I'm not a huge fan of the guy but it's working right?  He's hitting all the quadrants. lol

9 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Rusev attacks Reigns after Reigns (sorta) unintentionally humiliates his wife. Rusev fights for his wifes honor after Reigns insults his manhood, and gets in a fight that results in him being hurt. After being pulled off him, Reigns (the face) still keeps on beating the shit out of a defenseless Rusev. Rusev manages to stand while clearly being established as dealing with an injury, only for Reigns to run out again, Spear him in his most likely broken ribs, all in front of Rusevs wife. Also worth noting, Reigns is the one that instigated all of this by coming out during Rusevs wedding celebration. Fuck Roman Reigns (not in a he can't work way, but in a his character is a dick way), go fuck that asshole up Rusev.

Won't argue against Reigns starting the feud, but I can't really concede anything else. Rusev's actions got his wife humiliated, Rusev started the fight before the bell and got his ass kicked. Why should Reigns have stopped? Its not like Rusev wouldn't have stopped. And why should spearing Rusev in front of Lana matter to Reigns? Its not like she is an innocent Elizabeth type. She was actively pushing for Rusev to crush Reigns.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

It's clear that Sasha comes into these big matches wanting to do some very risky spots she saw as a fan. She's already had a ton of injuries and now she's lost her title because it sounds like she came in hurt and needs more time off.

It would help if her opponents caught her. She did an awesome dive through the ropes at WM and was barely caught. Charlotte did a crappy job of catching her on RAW.  Then Charlotte damn near kills her tonight.  When are people going to start criticizing Charlotte for not doing her job?  There's two people that need to be protected. Yourself and your opponent.

• Like 1

Reigns came out during their Wedding Celebration and Insulted Rusev (who he didn't have a pre-existing issue with) by basically saying he couldn't satisfy his wife. If those aren't fucking fighting words, I don't know what are. In the world of wrestling, that isn't even on the scale of "bad reasons to attack someone" That's a justifiable one. Imagine, a week after your wedding, some random asshole with really wet hair came up to you and said he bet you couldn't satisfy your new wife on your honeymoon in front of said wife. How would you handle that one?

And as for the rest of it, it's all based around that Reigns started a fight and made it personal with Rusev immediately. I don't blame Rusev one bit for attacking Reigns before the bell. And, as for why should Reigns have stopped, how about because he's supposed to be a babyface and keeping the attack going is a heel move? And, also, the entire situation was caused by Reigns.

• Like 3

Shane Douglas is the classic example of guy being a better heel out of the ring and a better face in it.

And Niners, the easy answer is for Cena to go away for three months and then get his win back clean because fuck you, fuck me, and fuck everybody.

• Like 1