DVDVR Message Board

IT'S STILL THE NFL PRESEASON

Gonzo

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bradford had also been the worst QB in the NFL on deep throws his entire career.

Bradford's ceiling is a poor man's Alex Smith.  His best season, he wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either.  At his best he is overwhelmingly average.  I don't know what pick they'd get if they let Shaun Hill play out the entire season, but I'd be willing to bet that they'd get a player with a much higher ceiling than Sam Bradford.  I don't think he has a single above average NFL skill.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Bradford's problem wasn't being rubbish though, like Richardson, it was various parts of his body vapourising.  I think the Vikings convinced themselves that they can keep him in one piece.  If they can do that and he plays at his normal level then that should be entirely enough to get the Vikings into the playoffs and it will look like a genius move.  If all his ribs explode in week 3 then yeah, not so much.

Yeah, I'd call the Vikings giving up a 1st-rounder to squeak into the playoffs and then go one and done to be more of a wash than anything approximating a genius move. Also keeping porcelain figurine-type players is one piece is a total crapshoot. Also the combination of having body parts that routinely vaporize combined with never sniffing elite to be pretty unconvincing traits for a QB worth trading your 1st rounder to be your savior. I mean Romo's been elite but his next injury being right around the corner is such a mere formality at this point that I don't know what's rational to give up for a guy whose body simply can't hold up to the rigors of pro football anymore.  Oh yeah, in Bradford's best half-a-season, his team was still 3-4 up to that point.

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Bradford's ceiling is a poor man's Alex Smith.  His best season, he wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either.  At his best he is overwhelmingly average.  I don't know what pick they'd get if they let Shaun Hill play out the entire season, but I'd be willing to bet that they'd get a player with a much higher ceiling than Sam Bradford.  I don't think he has a single above average NFL skill.

That's probably unfair to Alex Smith considering he at least has some dual threat capabilities. I think the idea of letting Shaun Hill play out the season isn't that awful if you just want a guy to stay out of the way and not lose games.

So now that the Browns traded Justin Gilbert to the Steelers for a 6th round pick, I'd like to to take some time and talk about just how awful the Browns drafting record has been. After getting three first rounders right in a row (Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden) they have used first round picks on:

Phil Taylor (traded down from the pick that became Julio Jones), Trent Richardson (traded up to draft a RB), Brandon Weeden (the Falcons pick from the Julio Jones trade), Barkevious Mingo (number 6 overall, traded for a fifth rounder), Justin Gilbert (number 8 overall, traded for a 6th rounder), Johnny Manziel (Yeah), Danny Shelton (bad), and Cameron Erving (bad, but at least nice off the field). 

It's sort of shocking the amount of times the Browns have traded down and ended up with multiple first round picks only to fail hilariously at managing to get any sort of value out of them. This is truly an unprecedented run of futility.