DVDVR Message Board

IT'S STILL THE NFL PRESEASON

Gonzo

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

Trent Richardson's available to be his back-up.

Man, if you ever need evidence why drafting even a dominant college back who looks like a sure thing high in the first round is stupid...

• Like 1

I just checked the Rams' site to see if there was a logo change or anything and I got this (tried three different browsers, all the same):

rams.jpg

I guess they're going for a throwback feel, making their site look the way it looked when the Rams were last in LA.

• Like 5

So how much are we supposed to read into these preseason reports?  I mean, Texans news is like

* Texans defense so far ahead of offense it's not even funny

* Texans defense dominates offense again, even without Watt

* Brock Osweiler hoping to find chemistry with receivers

* Brock Osweiler throws another pick

* Brock Osweiler can only throw check downs

* Brock Osweiler can't connect a pass outside the numbers

I mean, it's just the first week of training camp, right? 

On 8/2/2016 at 9:47 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Man, if you ever need evidence why drafting even a dominant college back who looks like a sure thing high in the first round is stupid...

While I generally agree with you, I wouldn't chalk up one bust to why its dumb drafting RBs high in the first round, sure Richardson was a bad idea but if Gurley was drafted in the Top 5 I don't think anyone would be questioning it now.  I do think RBs have a lower chance of being worth that high of a pick since so many RBs go later and have productive NFL careers, but if a team thinks that a RB is a super special talent then I won't blame them for drafting high.

...... maybe not quite that high though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

While I generally agree with you, I wouldn't chalk up one bust to why its dumb drafting RBs high in the first round, sure Richardson was a bad idea but if Gurley was drafted in the Top 5 I don't think anyone would be questioning it now.  I do think RBs have a lower chance of being worth that high of a pick since so many RBs go later and have productive NFL careers, but if a team thinks that a RB is a super special talent then I won't blame them for drafting high.

...... maybe not quite that high though.

If you go that high, they better be Barry Sanders or someone of that ilk, I agree.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You can get 80% or more of what Gurley gives you in the 4th round. 

Possible, but there is no position that is a surefire first round success. What if someone passed over Gurley in the first round to pick someone like Dee Milliner (I choose him not to pick on him but DB are seen as safer picks), you still lost out on the better player. I'm not advocating picking RBs early just because they had a great year in college, I'm just saying if you think someone will be elite in the NFL then you pick them if and when you can. The draft is 70% luck anyway in regards to which players will pan out, so teams have to trust their boards for better or worse.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Possible, but there is no position that is a surefire first round success. What if someone passed over Gurley in the first round to pick someone like Dee Milliner (I choose him not to pick on him but DB are seen as safer picks), you still lost out on the better player. I'm not advocating picking RBs early just because they had a great year in college, I'm just saying if you think someone will be elite in the NFL then you pick them if and when you can. The draft is 70% luck anyway in regards to which players will pan out, so teams have to trust their boards for better or worse.

Sure, but a great running back is less valuable than a good corner, wide out or DB. And they tend to burn out significantly quicker.

Edit: and it's a position where a lot of teams have found great success with bargain bin shopping, moreso than most positions.

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You can get 80% or more of what Gurley gives you in the 4th round. 

This is everything wrong with NFL logic in a nutshell. It is applied to literally one non-kicker position. If you applied it anywhere else it would be laughed out of the room. I'm not really sure there's any evidence whatsoever that drafting running backs high is in any way more detrimental than any other position.

Going for 80% is what gets you Carson Palmer as your QB.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

Eric Ebron suffered what was described as a "devastating " leg injury. 

Lions tight end Eric Ebron was carted off the field during the franchise's mock game Saturday with what may be a right Achilles injury, according to the NFL Network.

Ebron fell to the ground around the right hashmark and was clearly in pain as team doctors checked his right knee and ankle. He was down for several minutes before a cart came out to take him off the field and back toward the locker room.

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Going for 80% is what gets you Carson Palmer as your QB.

A lot of teams would kill for Carson Palmer right now

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

A lot of teams would kill for Carson Palmer right now

True, but team shouldn't go into the draft with that kind of mindset.

Football has evolved and RBs just aren't needed as much.  Any kid playing the sport will gravitate toward a position that is actually valued and gives him the best chance to make good money. Or maybe they go to an entirely different sport.  There are still some good RBs coming out of the college ranks, but they feel fewer and farther between.

Well, if you're a 6'5" 200 lber, you're not going to be a RB to begin with. And if you're 5'8" 235 lb, I don't see you dropping 45 lb and turning into a slot receiver.