DVDVR Message Board

IT'S STILL THE NFL PRESEASON

Gonzo

If Kaepernick didn't have that big contract, he would have been shipped off like RG III was and would possibly be starting somewhere else, given another chance.

It would cost far too much to cut him and no one will trade to take on that big of a contract. 

Thus, they keep him around but have no intention on playing him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

Can we at least all agree that there are way too many retread QBs in the NFL?  When Matt Schaub can still get a backup job versus signing an undrafted rookie...

It is like being a seven foot center in the NBA.  No matter how bad there will always be someone willing to give you a shot.  

It speaks more to the dearth of QB's as a whole.  The game is different at the pro level.  At the college level, you have 8 or 9 puff games and the rest are maybe good teams.  Players have lots of time to pad stats.  In the NFL there is no off week.  Even the worst teams are better than the top college teams.

The amount of off field work and analysis is enormous.  Guys watch film looking for trends based on how a WR stands at the line of scrimmage.  What foot is the first step.  How many steps until his cut.  When to look for the ball.  

What used to be a part time job 40 years ago is now a twelve month job with no offseason.

Remember when the Wildcat was going to revolutionize the game?  That lasted one season.

Guys that are just athletic are only good until their athleticism begins to fade.  In this day and age teams have a book written by year two and by the fourth week of the season they know your playbook.

I see this with high school kids.  Parents push athleticism to the point where they go to college with no position and very little knowledge of the game.  A WR prospect who only knows how to run a go route and gets mad when they ask him to change position to safety.  

I used Jordan from Miami last week as an example.  Great athlete but did not know how to play in a 4-3 scheme after playing his life in a 3-4.  Lost the first year, takes supplements to try and catch up, gets caught, and now a bust.

You have basketball players being drafted who cannot shoot a jump shot.  I learned that on day 1 of basketball camp when I was seven.

It is all over sports today.  People get wrapped up in athleticism and when they reach the top level it is a rude awakening once they meet top competition.  The college game and playing weak competition cannot shelter you anymore.  You can skate by in year one but when year two rolls around everyone knows your weaknesses.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It is related.  I supported Alex Smith for years he was given like six seasons to show what he can do and I was extremely patient because the team was a mess and he had many different coordinators but he reached his peak. He played well but we saw his ceiling. He was terrible against the Giants in the championship game and he was terrible against the Giants the following season. So they tried Kaep and he took them to the Super Bowl.  Alex Smith wasn't pushed out of the league either. He did get yet another opportunity in KC.  Point is, he was given several years to try to figure it out. Something that Kaep is not getting,  and it's a different situation because Kaep at the time was an unkown quantity. Gabbert is known. We know Gabbert, we know what he can and cannot do.

My comments in here were never simply Gabbert vs. Kaepernick. I was also speaking on how black QBs have a much shorter leash than white QBs and this was another example of that. 

Alex Smith would have won that Super Bowl. He was the right QB for that offense. Harbaugh fell in love with Kaepernick's dynamic and unpredictability and threw him in there when Smith went down with the concussion. Do not forget thst Smith led the league in passing rating until that point. Alex also held his own against the Saints when they went head hunting as well as the Giants. He got the shafts at the end of his run, but it was something we all saw coming. We all know ew at the start of the season that Kaepernick was going to take over the next year. 

Alex Smith couldn't move the ball against the Giants in the NFC title game and was hideous against them the next year...  I don't know how you could say he held his own.  It wasn't just the fumbles that cost the niners the game. It was Alex's inability to move the ball into scoring position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

I used Jordan from Miami last week as an example.  Great athlete but did not know how to play in a 4-3 scheme after playing his life in a 3-4.  Lost the first year, takes supplements to try and catch up, gets caught, and now a bust.

Oregon doesn't run a 3-4(or at least didn't while Dion was there) and even then, that isn't/wasn't his issue. Dion is a good athlete, but a shit football player. Even watching his Oregon tape, you can clearly see that his instincts are shit and that's the worst thing to have as a negative when you're supposedly a game-changing LB/DE prospect.

At least the brain dead talking point that Russell Wilson somehow wasn't a great QB finally died last season. Wilson, with his ability to infinitely extend plays and be a legit rushing threat, has turned out to be what I'm sure people envisioned Johnny Football as being at the next level; that is if his ability actually translated to the pros which it doesn't.

There are a lot of assumptions being made in this thread that the 49ers are actually trying to win. Meanwhile they got rid of all of their talent, their second best coach in franchise history and are looking for Blaine Gabbert to be the guy. I see no evidence that they are trying to win.

On a quality franchise, I suspect the Colin Kaepernick story is a lot different. I also think they draft DeShaun Watson - poor guy - and ruin him too.

• Like 5

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Kaep was terrible the second half of 2014 before being terrible last year. His "bad stretch of games" is a season and a half long. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Kaep was terrible the second half of 2014 before being terrible last year. His "bad stretch of games" is a season and a half long. 

Absolutely.

Though it is also a legitimate chicken/egg debate over how much of it is ultimately on him and how much of it comes from the team becoming garbage.

I'm sure that, as with most things, the true answer is somewhere in between.

I even found an old post of mine from last season where I said it's too soon to call Gabbert a true retread because so far the only organization fool enough to attempt to recycle him is this one. :)

11 hours ago, Vincey Greene said:

There are a lot of assumptions being made in this thread that the 49ers are actually trying to win. Meanwhile they got rid of all of their talent, their second best coach in franchise history and are looking for Blaine Gabbert to be the guy. I see no evidence that they are trying to win.

On a quality franchise, I suspect the Colin Kaepernick story is a lot different. I also think they draft DeShaun Watson - poor guy - and ruin him too.

Yep.

My stance continues to be that, in the Yorks minds, they have won.  They got the new stadium built.  It is in the Super Bowl Venue Rotation.  Mission Accomplished.  A good on-field product (i.e. a contending team) is no longer necessary and thus a sub-optimal investment.  Why put in all that work and deal with all that stressful scrutiny that comes with a team that's good but not quite good enough (SB 47)?  Keeping good players together and hiring good coaches would just eat into the bottom line, and Seattle's still gonna be better than them for 5 more years at minimum anyway.  So fuck it.  Parity will keep the team pulling off enough occasional 7-9 seasons through the coming decades to sell enough hope to bait enough marks into signing season ticket contracts, and even without them there's the share of the league TV revenue so who cares? 

Just sit and grin, the money will roll right in.

• Like 4