DVDVR Message Board

IT'S STILL THE NFL PRESEASON

Gonzo

You make a strong case for Kaep. Here's the counterpoint: His YPA have declined every year since that 2012. His career completion percentage is a thoroughly mediocre 59%. His QBR has declined every year the last three. His play late in 2014 was poor (5 games in 9 under 200 yards, only 9 total TDs in those 9) and he regressed significantly even from that in 2015.

Your larger point about black quarterbacks is not wrong. But Kaep has earned his benching. 

35 minutes ago, Tabe said:

You make a strong case for Kaep. Here's the counterpoint: His YPA have declined every year since that 2012. His career completion percentage is a thoroughly mediocre 59%. His QBR has declined every year the last three. His play late in 2014 was poor (5 games in 9 under 200 yards, only 9 total TDs in those 9) and he regressed significantly even from that in 2015.

Your larger point about black quarterbacks is not wrong. But Kaep has earned his benching. 

The "competition" isn't between Kaepernick and himself.  It's between he and a complete piece of shit QB by the name of Blaine Gabbert who has never done anything in this league. For anyone who says Kaep isn't the same or sucked last year I present to you.... 

the alternative option:   Blaine Gabbert.

18 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Kaep is what happens when you do not adapt at the next level.  One year's worth of film and teams pick you apart.  If you do not adapt you collapse.  It happens in every sport not just football.

So he doesn't deserve a second opportunity but Blaine Gabbert deserves more than a couple looks?  Why?

Kaepernick got a raw deal.  York built an awesome team and system around him, just enough for some big short-term success that enabled York to get a new stadium and a sweet deal to move the team.  Then once he had what he needed, he let the team fall apart, got rid of the coach, and is now scapegoating Kaepernick.  Yeah, scrambling, more one-dimensional QBs don't have prolonged success for the reasons Tabe pointed out but come on.  Kaepernick's dropoff was even faster than usual specifically because all the other good players were swapped out for also-rans once York got what he needed out of them.  I mean holy shit, he even signed Kaepernick to a contract that was mostly based on performance incentives, then took away all his ability to actually earn it.  God damn, that is some bald-faced con artistry right there.  SMH at the absolute balls on this guy.

I'm a Ravens fan -- as far from a Niners fan as you can get -- but this is bullshit.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So he doesn't deserve a second opportunity but Blaine Gabbert deserves more than a couple looks?  Why?

I think some of the second chances were lost when he showed more interest in his shoe collection than actually improving himself.  Not every chance comes on the field.

Kaep worked with Kurt Warner for a while during one off-season, so I think the guy put forth effort to improve.  Not saying he didn't make mistakes along the way.  But he's not nearly as bad as he's being made out to be.

And good luck with Gabbert for a full season.  That dude is a proverbial bed-wetter.  I can almost promise you that as soon as the Seahawks defense gets in his ass a couple of times, he's done for.  He tends to play scared--I literally saw his eyes grow to the size of dinner plates when he was throwing up on himself as the Jaguars' QB.  Gabbert is AWFUL and no team that's actually trying to be good would have him as their starting play caller.  Not suggesting that Kaep is the answer, but I know for a fact that Gabbert isn't and he's likely to curl into a fetal position at the 40-yard line at least three times this year.

Only thing I can figure is SF is hoping to get Deshaun Watson with the #1 pick in 2017, and they have a better chance of doing that if Gabbert is under center.  Kaepernick may actually run around enough to win a couple of games.  Gabbert is more likely to run out of the stadium if Kam Chancellor gets within 10 yards of him.

Have I said how awful Gabbert is?  It's not hyperbole.  That sucker STINKS!

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Kaepernick got a raw deal.  York built an awesome team and system around him, just enough for some big short-term success that enabled York to get a new stadium and a sweet deal to move the team.  Then once he had what he needed, he let the team fall apart, got rid of the coach, and is now scapegoating Kaepernick.  Yeah, scrambling, more one-dimensional QBs don't have prolonged success for the reasons Tabe pointed out but come on.  Kaepernick's dropoff was even faster than usual specifically because all the other good players were swapped out for also-rans once York got what he needed out of them.  I mean holy shit, he even signed Kaepernick to a contract that was mostly based on performance incentives, then took away all his ability to actually earn it.  God damn, that is some bald-faced con artistry right there.  SMH at the absolute balls on this guy.

I'm a Ravens fan -- as far from a Niners fan as you can get -- but this is bullshit.

Sorry, the 49ers don't owe him shit.  I'm  sympathetic to his postion on the flag, though my personal reasons have more to due with an allegry to 'Mericana. As for the contract if his agent was dumb enough to agree to it, that's on them. In the NFL, EVERYONE is chattel that's only as good as their next snap. Its not right, but if you lose your job to Yo Gabba Gabert, that's on you. . . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

I think some of the second chances were lost when he showed more interest in his shoe collection than actually improving himself.  Not every chance comes on the field.

This is like the racist radio show hosts in Boston who complained about Kaep's tattoos and said he should focus on football and not tattoos. Maybe JJ Watt should focus on football and not being a redneck 24/7.  Maybe he would have had a better season last year if he wasn't so concerned with being the All-American man. Maybe the defense wouldn't have been atrocious. Sure, his sack numbers were there but he also disappeared often.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is like the racist radio show hosts in Boston who complained about Kaep's tattoos and said he should focus on football and not tattoos. Maybe JJ Watt should focus on football and not being a redneck 24/7.  Maybe he would have had a better season last year if he wasn't so concerned with being the All-American man.

Way to go way off base and run to the extreme!!!!

He could have spent more time in the film room or working out post surgeries.  

Here is the thing with athletes like Kaep.  They are one-trick ponies.  He has his athleticism and that lasts one year with how fast defensive coordinators break down players.  He gets injured, loses some speed but does not learn to read defenses and guess what?  He lost his edge.  He becomes just another QB.  

What should he be doing?  Spending more time in the film room and the weight room.  Adapting to what opposing defenses will throw at him.

He lost his job to Yo Gabba Gabba.  Cry me a river.  He can join the rest of the pro sports players who never adapted their athleticism in a pile as high as Mt. Everest.

Just now, evilwaldo said:

He lost his job to Yo Gabba Gabba.  Cry me a river.  He can join the rest of the pro sports players who never adapted their athleticism in a pile as high as Mt. Everest.

You're missing the point.  He was good for three years prior to last season not just one season and it's not that he lost his job. It's that he lost his job to a guy that he is clearly better than and a guy who is on opportunity number 3 despite never accomplishing anything in the league.

Maybe Peyton Manning would have been better last year if he didn't focus on commercials. Luckily, the defense was there to carry him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You're missing the point.  He was good for three years prior to last season not just one season and it's not that he lost his job. It's that he lost his job to a guy that he is clearly better than and a guy who is on opportunity number 3 despite never accomplishing anything in the league.

Maybe Peyton Manning would have been better last year if he didn't focus on commercials. Luckily, the defense was there to carry him.

It is not about race, it is about talent.  The opposing defenses adapted and after he got injured he never adapted.

You should be using past tense because if Kaep was better than Gabbert he would be starting.

Keep trying.

Chip Kelly runs an offense where Kaep is the perfect QB with a read option.  If Kaep cannot win the job it is on Kaep.

Just now, evilwaldo said:

It is not about race, it is about talent.  The opposing defenses adapted and after he got injured he never adapted.

You should be using past tense because if Kaep was better than Gabbert he would be starting.

Keep trying.

LOL.  Okay, forget this season.  What did Gabbert do to receive three opportunities in this league?  I'll wait, you must know something I don't so let me hear it.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

And what is his career passer rating.

71.9 according to Pro Football Reference.  I'm not supporting Gabbert, though.  I was just pointing out that he's only been on 2 teams, so I'm not sure where the 'three opportunities' came from.

2 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

71.9 according to Pro Football Reference.  I'm not supporting Gabbert, though.  I was just pointing out that he's only been on 2 teams, so I'm not sure where the 'three opportunities' came from.

Jags got rid of him.  Then the 49ers tried him last season and he didn't do anything. Now he's back "competing" for the job again this year.  Kaepernick has only had one bad stretch of games and is barely seeing the field. His resume shits on Gabbert's career but he's not even being given a proper second chance.

Much like the three opportunities Kaep has had more than one bad stretch of games.  

16 hours ago, Tabe said:

Maybe if Kaep knew how to read a defense in a division with three elite level defenses he might have a better shot.

Keep trying.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00.htm

I see a guy regressing into his prime.