DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] AUGUST 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

If you've watched it enough like a lot of dads like me have, you learn to like it. It has a good message, aesthetically pleasing animation and Shakira as a pop-singing gazelle. What more could you want? :-)

Never really did the movie marathon thing before. But tonight we watched Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz back to back. Which was probably quite eye opening for a 12 year old, but I figured it was time, his sisters were younger when they watched them. Seeing them back to back you do notice the callbacks more often, like the repeating "You've never taken a shortcut?" fence jumping scene.

Probably watching World's End tomorrow. Complete the trilogy.

I've watched World's End a few time now, I remember being really disappointed with it the first time, but I find its become one of my favourites of the last couple years. It kind of sneaks up on you how good it is.

World's End is great. It's less of a laugh out loud comedy, and it's not really a parody, but it's a fucking brilliant film about mental stability, lost youth, "you can't go home again"

• Like 1

We did watch World's End (for the first time). It doesn't really work as a third film in the Cornetto trilogy, but I think they'd all matured beyond the first two. I kind of feel like anything I say having only seen it once would be rushing to judgement though. You can tell with all three how they plot everything really tightly, so that point leads to point, and so the callbacks make sense in context, and you realise they gave away the whole plot (in code) in the first 20 minutes.

And then we watched Kick Ass 2, which having watched the first one recently, it was really obvious all the characters that had been recast. Also, World's End was one of the trailers on the disc, and they sure did put the whole movie in the trailer. Glad I watched the movie before seeing the trailer really.

16 hours ago, AxB said:

It doesn't really work as a third film in the Cornetto trilogy, but I think they'd all matured beyond the first two. I kind of feel like anything I say having only seen it once would be rushing to judgement though.

That's a good point.  The first two movies are much more Peter Pan-ish in their outlook: "don't bother growing up, at least not all the way, because the adult world sucks and is full of monsters and psychos and unfulfillable obligations.  Stay childish."  But The World's End has very little sympathy for that outlook, pointing out just how exhausting it could be to deal with a manchild like Gary King.  (I think switching archetypes and having Frost play the got-it-together straight man and Pegg play the juvenile fuckup was a nice little touch of brilliance.)  It closes the door on the Cornetto theme by noting that you can't really stay a kid together, that it's an inevitably toxic lifestyle which can't be permanently sustained.  Even the climax is way more mature in the other films: Shaun basically had The Grownups run in and save our remaining heroes, Fuzz had a bunch of consequence-free violence which could've come right out of an original episode of G.I. Joe, but TW'sE ends with the kids trying (and failing) to win an argument of principles with their parents, and being metaphorically grounded as a result.  

General question: who would be generally considered as the 'greatest actors and actresses' of the 'newer' generations? Like, for instance, DiCaprio and people his age. I put people like Pacino, De Niro, Hackman, Brando, Nicholson... in the pantheon of 'greatest actors of all time', but which younger ones would have a chance of one day being considered as all-time greats?

Twenty-four years ago, after Chaplin, people thought Downey was a cert. And after the first Iron Man, it looked like he might get it back. But he's more of a movie star than an actor now. Like Depp, same thing. Brody seems to have quieted down too.

Personally, I'm right behind Harrelson. But that might just be me.

EDIT: And the boy Gyllenhall should probably mentioned. Bale too.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

What generation are we talking about? Under 30? Under 40? 

Apparently, if we're including Woody, we're talking the 55+ generation. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 5:08 AM, J.T. said:

It is usually the sign that while you may be the man in the house, but you don't wear the pants.  Probably a Southern thing.

I look at it like this: If I go to Target to buy tampons, I get out of there spending less than 10 bucks on tampons and a bag of skittles.  If the lady goes to Target for tampons, she comes home with $100 worth of stuff, and ends up forgetting them half the time anyway.  A little emasculation is always worth saving money for.

Watched St. Vincent this past weekend and totally didn't expect it to go The Notebook style of ripping my heart out.  Was not prepared for that at all.

On 17/08/2016 at 11:42 PM, Roman said:

General question: who would be generally considered as the 'greatest actors and actresses' of the 'newer' generations? Like, for instance, DiCaprio and people his age. I put people like Pacino, De Niro, Hackman, Brando, Nicholson... in the pantheon of 'greatest actors of all time', but which younger ones would have a chance of one day being considered as all-time greats?

Thinking about it... everyone you mentioned (except Brando) came up in the 70s, when mainstream movies were at an artistic level that they haven't been since. So even though there are actors out there who can do great work in movies, as soon as, for example, Eddie Redmayne is finished filming the Theory of Everything, he's off to make Jupiter Ascending. So basically everyone who's a name actor in this generation is guaranteed to have a patchy career where they make bad films. Like De Niro and Pacino do now, come to think.

If Tom Hardy is able to get away from playing 'Gruff tough guy archetype #1' in every movie and start showing his range a bit more, he might impress people though.

I debated if this was more wrestling or film related, and settled on it depending more on familiarity with the latter than the former:

The whole Paige/ADR thing made me realize out of the blue that I could totally see Paige as the girl from Fish Tank, just swapping hip-hop dance with wrestling. So now I can't unimagine this and all it entails.

On 8/17/2016 at 6:42 PM, Roman said:

I genuinely think Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper both have a chance. 

George Clooney had a chance but blew it via his choices. Which hey, making money is awesome and I can't knock it, but for someone who's as magnetic as he is, the catalog just isn't there. I think Leo is the only one. Maybe Matt Damon?

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can't be the only one of us that wants to punch Bradley Cooper every time I see his face. Ever since American Hustle it's been like that. The War Dogs trailer comes up and all of the sudden I want to punch THREE people.

I thought that during Alias.

On 20-8-2016 at 1:35 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I can't be the only one of us that wants to punch Bradley Cooper every time I see his face. Ever since American Hustle it's been like that. The War Dogs trailer comes up and all of the sudden I want to punch THREE people.

Clive Owen does that for me.