DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] AUGUST 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I always thought the Smokey and the Bandit/Mayberry hijinks of the police in Last House on the Left felt really out of place with the rest of the movie. That's actually the only thing I retained from watching it years ago. 

5 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I always thought the Smokey and the Bandit/Mayberry hijinks of the police in Last House on the Left felt really out of place with the rest of the movie. That's actually the only thing I retained from watching it years ago. 

So the part where the mother emasculates the killer just breezed by you?   That scene was burned into my retinas forever.

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So the part where the mother emasculates the killer just breezed by you?   That scene was burned into my retinas forever.

Ya know, you've seen one emasculation you've seen em' all. 

44 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Ya know, you've seen one emasculation you've seen em' all. 

The psychological version happens to me every time I am sent to Target to purchase feminine hygiene products for my common law spouse.

Eh.  Whom am I kidding?  She loves me and puts up with my shit.  Buying maxi pads along with the camouflage groceries purchased to hide the idea that I am actually there for maxi pads is a small price to pay.

• Like 1

Jeez, I wonder about some of you. Either feeling nothing or just plain forgetting what happened in a movie as mean as Last House on the Left...

Anyway, got around to watching some of the VHS pile last night. Magic was FUCKED. UP. It didn't give me a pathological fear of dolls, but it did make me reflect on personal failure way more than I wanted to. Which meant that the next two watches were the Dead Kennedys Early Years (TM Target Video) and Wayne's World in order to lighten the mood. 

BTW, in case you want to be seriously creeped out, here's the OG Magic trailer that got pulled after parents said it was scaring their kids:

Spoiler

• Like 1

The trailer for Magic fucked me up as a kid.  To this day I do not like ventriloquists dummies because of that movie. 

I will go start the Horror Movie Trailers That Traumatized You discussion in the Horror thread.

I attribute my unease around department store mannequins to Tourist Trap and a couple of shorts on USA Saturday Nightmares.

• Like 1

It was pretty funny that I caught some of Stepbrothers on TV then popped in Magic only to find a 36 years younger Ed Lauter staring at me from the screen again.

EDIT: Goddammit, I mixed him up with Richard Jenkins. Hey, if you squinted hard, could you tell the difference?

EDIT II GODDAMMIT 

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

That and the cornball music really kept me from taking it seriously.  I get that it's supposed to juxtapose something light and silly and kind of in keeping with the times with the violent content, but it was so cheesy it was just distracting.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I saw this after I Spit On Your Grave which did the whole revenge/castration thing a lot better so this scene didn't really stick with me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

.I saw this after I Spit On Your Grave which did the whole revenge/castration thing a lot better so this scene didn't really stick with me.

Okay, that makes total sense to me.  I can dig that rationale.

I was watching Temple of Doom the other day. I never realized: This film is set a year before Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Um, was there a reason for that? It doesn't seem to make much of a difference to the plot. So why did they do that? It's just a weird thing to do with a sequel. Turn it into a prequel. Just odd.

I'd also like to know just what happened to Short Round. 

I think they felt like anything going forward after Raiders would have to involve the Nazis or looming WWII issues internationally. It's also kind of an origin story for the Raiders Indy. In ToD he's a fortune hunter and kind of a prick, and the experience of going through the Sankara stones ordeal made him the more serious and noble archeologist he is by the time he's chasing the Ark. 

I finally caved and bought a Bluray player, mostly because it had streaming features on it and we couldn't watch Netflix or Hulu in our rec room. The first movie I went out and bought was Jaws (it's just as gorgeous as everyone said it was.) Any recommendations for Blurays that are so great it's like watching the film for the first time all over again? 

52 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I finally caved and bought a Bluray player, mostly because it had streaming features on it and we couldn't watch Netflix or Hulu in our rec room. The first movie I went out and bought was Jaws (it's just as gorgeous as everyone said it was.) Any recommendations for Blurays that are so great it's like watching the film for the first time all over again? 

2001 A Space Odyssey, Cave of Forgotten Dreams (the Herzog doc), Blade Runner, The Seventh Seal...

• Like 1

Score! I went out to Family Video today trying to find anything decent in their worthless selection of new releases and ended up digging through their "for sale" section. Got Only God Forgives, Trailer Park Boys: Don't Legalize It (not as funny as Countdown to Liquor Day but close), and Wyrmwood (Aussie zombie flick that I haven't seen yet) on DVD for round about $6. How's Wyrmwood?

On 8/12/2016 at 6:44 AM, J.T. said:

The psychological version happens to me every time I am sent to Target to purchase feminine hygiene products for my common law spouse.

Eh.  Whom am I kidding?  She loves me and puts up with my shit.  Buying maxi pads along with the camouflage groceries purchased to hide the idea that I am actually there for maxi pads is a small price to pay.

Never understood why it bothers dudes to buy tampons or maxi pads or whatever. It ain't like anybody thinks they're for you. 

• Like 3

I don't know if anyone ever bothered to watch it, but I decided to sit down and watch Money Monster last night and it was surprisingly really good. George Clooney is out of his element in this role, because it's not the slick, smooth talking older guy he usually plays in movies now. He seemed downright scared at times, which is exactly what that role called for in most cases. Julia Roberts was really good too, shockingly. Luckily her role was mainly just talking to Clooney's character through an earpiece. Jack O'Connell was the standout, though. I really felt sorry for the guy, and it didn't even take that long. This movie seems like it would have been better suited to be released during the whole "Occupy Wall Street" movement a few years back, but in our current political and economic climate, it still works just as well. The ending is super frustrating too, because we all know how "investigations" of too-big-to-fail companies usually go. You can smell the twist coming a mile away, but said twist is actually pretty great because it doesn't play out the way you think (or the way I thought, anyway).

Bad Moms is super funny, but I don't know about it being called the funniest rated-R comedy since The Hangover. It definitely had it's moments, but it was side-splitting hilarious or anything. Mila Kunis is a highlight but it kind of feels like she's phoning it in, Christina Applegate is really good at making you hate her, Kristen Bell is kind of just here and doesn't really have any standout moments. The real MVP is Kathryn Hahn though. She's fucking hilarious in every scene she's in.

7 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

Saw Sausage Party

Insane. Absolutely insane.

Shockingly deep take on religion as well. If you don't get offended, I highly recommend it.

You almost have to see it twice since there are some many rapid fire jokes that you laugh and miss the next joke when laughing.

The closing scene is just pure Insane amazingness! The surprise celebrity cameo is also one of the best parts.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:13 PM, Tabe said:

Never understood why it bothers dudes to buy tampons or maxi pads or whatever. It ain't like anybody thinks they're for you. 

It is usually the sign that while you may be the man in the house, but you don't wear the pants.  Probably a Southern thing.

I finally got around to watching Zootopia. It was fine, but I don't understand all the hype it's gotten (and the ham-fisted message didn't do it for me). It was... just fine. I wouldn't watch it again, nor would I be interested in a sequel.

I'm quite excited about finally watching Inside Out, though.